Wills and executors

sanghamitra

We just did ours. Went to the Canadian Consulate and got a list of approved lawyers. You need a lawyer to draw up a will in Thailand - no selfies.

My passport copy, Yellow house book, green bike books, blue car books, any other assets besides personal effects.

Wife copy ID card, Blue House book, copy ID card of her sister in case we die together she is executor.

Go to see a head Doctor same day you sign will. To make sure you are in sufficient mental health to make the decisions required in making and signing the will. Pay 15,000 baht.

Get a copy in Thai and English.

This does not cover assets back in Canada - only Thai Assets.

I don't care about anything except the 800,000 baht in the 2 separate accounts my wife and I own to secure a retirement visa. As for my truck, my landlords son can have it. Don't own a condo. I was wondering if those 2 bank accounts could be joint accounts and skip the will.

Edited by seedy
Font

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

You need a lawyer to draw up a will in Thailand - no selfies.

........Get a copy in Thai and English.

This does not cover assets back in Canada - only Thai Assets.

A couple of corrections:

(1)  You can draft your own Will but agree that the wise thing to do is to have a Thai lawyer do it so no mistakes are made.

(2)  While you don't need a Thai copy to make it valid here, it's true that it must be officially translated into Thai before it can be used in probate here.

(3)  While I have a Will here which specifically states it only covers my assets here in Thailand (and my US Will notes that a separate Thai Will covers Thai assets), a Will validly made here will cover assets elsewhere (e.g., Canada or the US) presuming the Will complies with the requirements of Wills in those other countries.  A signature by the Testator and signatures by two adult witnesses (presuming those witnesses are not also beneficiaries) complies with the requirements of Thailand, all 50 US states, and Canada.  Holographic Wills (a Will written entirely in the Testator's handwriting and signed and dated by the Testator) are valid in some states (not sure about Canada and I have no clue if such a Will would work here in Thailand).

(4)  If one had only a valid Will in Canada or the US and that Will disposed of assets here in Thailand, that same Will (well, a certified copy of it) could be submitted to probate here in Thailand to handle transfer of Thai assets. 

Go to see a head Doctor same day you sign will. To make sure you are in sufficient mental health to make the decisions required in making and signing the will. Pay 15,000 baht.

Huh? Your Thai lawyer had you pay 15,000baht to a doctor to certify you were of sound mind? If you paid 15,000 baht for such a service, that suggests you're not of sound mind.......... Anyway, in all the Will threads on this forum, I've never seen anything about a doctor's certification for mental stability required by Thai lawyers drafting Wills. Yes, believe Amphur Wills may require such. But, Amphur Wills for farangs have, of late, from what I have read on this forum, become problematic.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Huh? Your Thai lawyer had you pay 15,000baht to a doctor to certify you were of sound mind? If you paid 15,000 baht for such a service, that suggests you're not of sound mind.......... Anyway, in all the Will threads on this forum, I've never seen anything about a doctor's certification for mental stability required by Thai lawyers drafting Wills. Yes, believe Amphur Wills may require such. But, Amphur Wills for farangs have, of late, from what I have read on this forum, become problematic.

A relative back in the U.S., who has tens of millions was required to also take a test to prove mental stability.

- jf

To the OP:

I had a simple will for my assets in Thailand drawn up and held by a local attorney for a fee starting at 2,000 thb.  Obviously, something complex takes more work.  I paid 2,000 thb.  PM me if you are interested in the lawyers name.

Had my Thai Last Will done by Siam Legal in Pattaya a couple years ago.

Excellent service - 10000 bahts

Simple will with only a couple Thai bank accounts but they insisted that I add my modest furniture and aging motocy. Only one beneficiary and one administrator - my TGF for both.

Done in Thai and English in two sets - one for the beneficiary and one for the administrator.

All four copies signed by me and two of their legal witnesses.

I have done a holographic Last Will (in French) for my bank account in Belgium that will have to be processed by a Notary in Belgium after I'm gone.

Also had a Last Will done in Singapore (in English) by a local SIN lawyer for my bank account there - paid USD 550.

TGF beneficiary for all.