Swift Transfer from Thailand to U.S.?

My wife has been trying in vain for almost a week to do an international swift transfer of funds from her Bangkok Bank account to a U.S. bank account.

She just keeps getting the usual "cannot do" responses from the usual smug ignoramuses who don't know how to do their jobs.

Has anyone been successful in making such a transfer from any Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok, and, if so, which branch?

Thanks!

Yup, no issues whatever setting it up with internet banking. As a foreigner the only "reason" available is "repatriation of salary"  but I have an annual transfer limit of USD500,000 (far in excess of my salary). I did have to provide my work permit which could be a sticking point.

Took about 3 days for it to be approved and become active.

But, I'm not Thai.

Presumably your wife is Thai? If so:

What is the reason for the transfer? The answer to that question determines whether or not it is allowed under BOT regulations.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by chiang mai

1 minute ago, 4evermaat said:

^^ Isn't it easier for a Thai to send money overseas than a foreigner?

It depends on the reason for the transfer and the status of the foreigner and the reason why the funds were fist imported into Thailand, if indeed they ever were imported

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

It depends on the reason for the transfer and the status of the foreigner and the reason why the funds were fist imported into Thailand, if indeed they ever were imported

So if a Thai works in Thailand and then decided one day that s/he wanted to send money overseas to buy something in Australia, UK, USA, etc...they can't?

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, no issues whatever setting it up with internet banking. As a foreigner the only "reason" available is "repatriation of salary"  but I have an annual transfer limit of USD500,000 (far in excess of my salary). I did have to provide my work permit which could be a sticking point.

Took about 3 days for it to be approved and become active.

But, I'm not Thai.

How much do the transfers cost?

2 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

So if a Thai works in Thailand and then decided one day that s/he wanted to send money overseas to buy something in Australia, UK, USA, etc...they can't?

Read the BOT link in post number 3 and all will be revealed.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Read the BOT link in post number 3 and all will be revealed.

I didn't see anything specific addressing what I was asking about.  Is there a specific pdf or url that points out the limitations per transfer, etc?

There might be de-facto controls that exist on top of the stated info.  If anyone has experience, share it (in private if necessary).

6 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

I didn't see anything specific addressing what I was asking about.  Is there a specific pdf or url that points out the limitations per transfer, etc?

There might be de-facto controls that exist on top of the stated info.  If anyone has experience, share it (in private if necessary).

Open the link I supplied and click on the centre tab entitled, Summary of Exchange Controls, read the entire page and all your questions will be answered, the information doesn't come to you, you have to go to it!

Edited by chiang mai

12 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I transfer money to the US and China all of the time for the purchase of farm equipment and supplies.  I've transferred over 1,000,000 baht at one time with no problems.  The key is that you have a quote/invoice from the party that you are transferring the money to.  I do it at Krung Thai Bank, for convenience, and I pay all costs.  No matter how much I transfer the charges are 1200 baht.

I tried to set it up on my BBL internet banking account but could not as the only reason it could be done there was repatriation of salary as Crossy said, so I have to go in and transfer it and use KTB since they are able to do it in the branch in the small town where I live.  If I did it with BBL I would have to go to Branch in Nakhon Sawan. a 220 kilometer round trip!