Pick pocket and beat down on the Baht bus

mcfish

Very long story. I was waiting for the part where you say " After the beating I got off the bus walked home. I opened the door and there was my 25 year old GF and her younger ( 22 years ) sister , waiting for me in sexy night dress. My GF asked me to come and join them. "

But that part of the story was missing.

Please try to do better, next time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Strange said:

Nothing you could have done different other than to think if 3K is worth a potential beatdown by a group of Thai thugs.

Personally that thought would not have crossed my mind at the time, seeing red & all. Only after would the consequences reveal themselves.

He posted that the bus was filled with Russians, NOT Thais.

On 12/12/2016 at 4:41 PM, marinediscoking said:

A bunch of sheep posting here. I can understand if you're elderly taking this position. The baht bus collective and drivers has zero tolerance for them and will probably pull out a stick to help you. They are not stupid and if they see a pack ridding together acting suspiciously they kick them off. All the cases of pick picketers on busses that I have heard of have been acting alone.

Wrong. Most of these pickpockets work in gangs in Pattaya.

10 minutes ago, Strange said:

In response to what he could have done different if there was a pack of thais working behind the scenes.

Which had nothing to do with this post. If he was driving a car, he wouldn't have gotten pickpocketed either, but he wasn't so I'm trying to stay on topic. He was on a bus with Russians. If his post said he was on a bus with Thais, then that's a different response and a different post.

You were lucky that the bus wasn't full of mostly Thais. Routinely, Thais will side with their own even if they are thieves or worse. Farang mai dee and all that. The general mindset is that you OWE them money because you HAVE it. Simple as that. I carry NOTHING in my back pocket except a handkerchief. I wear cargo trousers with flap pockets so they are a bit more obvious when someone tries to put their hands in your pocket, Death penalty for thieves, no exceptions.

Good one McFish. You were actually pretty conservative in the punishment you handed out. Probably would have been good to throw his ass off the bus at speed, a bit of gravel rash hands, knees, and face would have got his attention. Or maybe break his fingers of the dipping hand....slow him down for a while. You know he will be back at it soon, but I think he will remember a two meter farang. Good job.

I had it happen one time by a ladyboy on the bus. I didn't make a scene, just removed his (her) hand. I have a friend with hands the size of boxing gloves. He is about 6'5" and well over 200#. He backhanded one and left him very bloody. Needless to say he and his friend quickly got off the bus. I never carry a wallet and put money in different pockets.

33 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

Which had nothing to do with this post. If he was driving a car, he wouldn't have gotten pickpocketed either, but he wasn't so I'm trying to stay on topic. He was on a bus with Russians. If his post said he was on a bus with Thais, then that's a different response and a different post.

OP did the right thing, no doubt. I can't stand a thief. Lowest of the low. Buy him I beer or 20 if I would have been there, and I would like to think I would have done the same thing. 

Playing devils advocate, nobody knows whats going on behind the scenes. Driver could have known the little shit or his team, called them when OP got off to inform location, and retaliation ensues. These pea-brained knuckleheads are incapable of losing face or receiving any kind of punishment without losing their shit. 

So all in all, completely on-topic. 

On 12/12/2016 at 0:10 AM, thehelmsman said:

Good post........Wallet in front pocket, always.

My view has always been "no wallet" ...

Thats if a wallet is needed to carry miriad cards and IDs etc.

My night outs consist of 3 to 5k in cash in my front pocket , along with a Thai License and a health insurance card.

This is the result of seeing friends come over and lose their wallets with darn near 'everything" in them , and waste their holidays on the phone ...

Carrying your money in the front pocket is not safe, either.  I got nicked by a skanky girl gang on 2nd road.  I always keep my money in the front pocket.  It is tight against my thigh (or so I thought) and not easy to get at.  Well, they got it-and pretty damned quick, too.  Less than a minute after sitting down.  I didn't even realize it until I got off later.  

Another time, I confronted a ladyboy who sat down next to me with a big bag.  By now, I was keenly aware of any Thai getting on and sitting next to me.  When I felt for my card wallet in my lower pocket, it was gone.  I stood up on the baht bus, glared down at the ladyboy and said, "Where's my wallet?"  Well, I must've caught the little creep right as he did it because my wallet was right on the bench between us.  I checked it (I never keep cash in it) and all the cards were there.  I probably would've backhanded him, myself, if there was something missing.

Don't expect any help from a baht bus full of Russians.  Most of them are complete bumbleheads and have no clue what is going on in Pattaya.   

One of my buddies got pickpocketed in BKK a couple of years back, he walking down a busy sidewalk when a woman walking directly in front of him fell down and when he had to stop suddenly a couple of young women behind him walked into him. People helped the fallen woman up and everyone went on their way...including him minus his pocketbook.

I try and keep my wallet in my front pocket in crowds or in busy areas.

Thanks for the warning.

17 hours ago, bark said:

Very long story. I was waiting for the part where you say " After the beating I got off the bus walked home. I opened the door and there was my 25 year old GF and her younger ( 22 years ) sister , waiting for me in sexy night dress. My GF asked me to come and join them. "

But that part of the story was missing.

Please try to do better, next time.

Try the other forum maybe?

On 12/12/2016 at 4:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Not in my experience. One time I was hit and the driver showed signs of being in on it. I have also witnessed multiple times gangs of obvious pickpockets getting on, casing the crowd and not finding a good mark, and then getting off, not paying, with the driver doing nothing. Do you even ride these buses often? 

Agreed, some drivers are dodgy farkers and with regard to this instance from the OP...

On 12/11/2016 at 11:43 AM, mcfish said:

... Also the bus had no lights so his job was a lot easier...

I haven't ridden a baht bus in ages but I recall that back deck lighting was standard and that hasn't changed unless the driver chooses to turn them off.

On 12/12/2016 at 4:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Not in my experience. One time I was hit and the driver showed signs of being in on it. I have also witnessed multiple times gangs of obvious pickpockets getting on, casing the crowd and not finding a good mark, and then getting off, not paying, with the driver doing nothing. Do you even ride these buses often? 

Oh Jingting I think you are mixing your stories, when you were hit by the driver was this because you were pick pocketed? I remember you posting about that before and the driver wanting you to pay a higher fair going past pattaya tai or something like that? I know they can be violent as i have seen a driver punched by another driver for picking up passengers at walking st. without waiting in the que. I have traveled to 47 countries so I have had plenty of problems with taxi drivers and yes I have been in physical altercations more than once with them as I will get out rather than getting ripped off by them.

I know pick pockets are on the rise on the baht buses but I don't think its common or an epidemic. Recently a couple of  policemen ran past were i have my business chasing some suspects who had just pickpocket someone from a bus.

If you saw a group you suspected of being a "pick pocketing gang" and not paying the driver, do us all the favor and file a complaint with the baht bus collective. If you think it would go on deaf ears you can PM me as I have a friend who handles advertising with them and I can assure you they will take it seriously. 

But to answer your question I do use baht buss from time to time but not daily. If I am worried about getting pick pocked like when I use the crowded jeepneys in the PI,  I put everything, money, wallet and phone into my front pocket and my hand stays in my pocket on top of them until i get out, or until I'm not within arms length of anyone. 

4 hours ago, LALes said:

Carrying your money in the front pocket is not safe, either.  I got nicked by a skanky girl gang on 2nd road.

I can't see how that would work on me , I always carry a small wallet for my cards and stuff in the front pocket during day time but if I want to go out at night I only carry a few baht notes.  Anyone trying to touch my front pocket will get the "stare" from me. 

There is a lot of endorsement of violence in this thread. If anyone seriously believes that physically attacking a Thai in Thailand who hasn't physically attacked you; even a pickpocket or alleged pickpocket to be accurate;  is a wise choice they are delusional. Easy for me to say perhaps, but McFish should have held onto the guy & called the police. Behaving like Charles Bronson is a risk too far.

There is a lot of endorsement of violence in this thread. If anyone seriously believes that physically attacking a Thai in Thailand who hasn't physically attacked you; even a pickpocket or alleged pickpocket to be accurate; they are delusional. Easy for me to say perhaps, but McFish should have held onto the guy & called the police. Behaving like Charles Bronson is a risk too far.

And how exactly would that work without a witness prepared to give up a few hours at the cop shop ? You think bib are on every corner? Should I drag him by the hair past countless thais while he is kicking and screaming and yelling out I just raped his sister?

that' would be the worst option and not carrying a passport would have sealed my fate not his!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Archived