Beach Road between Sois 5 & 6

champers

Does anyone have any info on the new development there? Starbucks are open and Maccy Ds are close to opening (they will soon have as many branches as 7/11). When this project started there was going to be Korean BBQ outlet/s and a German brewhouse, but neither of these seem to have materialised. What would you reasonably like to see there? A Gerrman brewhouse would do for me.

Starbucks, McDo, Korean BBQ and Brewhouses are all available within a few minutes walk along the beach, as are nearly all the usual chain names one finds in Thailand. So apart from a (potentially) more open sea view I dont really see what is being added by this place.

I would say that adding more units of the same brand will not increase the total sales at all, but then I think about the 7/11s one sees within feet of each other here, and I suppose that people are indeed simply too lazy to walk a few yards and will buy from the nearest outlet regardless of what it is selling.

Edited by KittenKong

I passed this building last night on my scooter at around 2000.

Not a single customer in Starbucks. I never go to them anyway, as I am a tea drinker, never coffee and it's horrible expensive, what can you get for 100 baht?

I bet the key money will be a ton so only the real big franchises can afford it and can walk away if it's a dud. 

I think it will be mostly chain stores and I think most should do ok.  There's a McDonalds on Second Road but, as Kittenkong said,  people are lazy to walk and this new one on Beach Road should do well with beachgoers popping in to get meals, snacks, drinks, etc.  There's a lot of development going on in this area, including a big, new hotel under construction near the International hospital, and a new one, Palazzo, just opening behind Central Marina, and lots of Chinese tourists like this part of town, so potentially lots of customers. 

Only saw it when riding along.

Isn't it another open air (multi storey) center?

You would walk from shop to shop in open space?

Didn't they learn from the failed Avenue on 2nd rd. that struggles to keep alive?

And at the Avenue they at least have some "life', people walking.

Between Soi 5 and 6 I usually rush trough.

A dead spot.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Only saw it when riding along.

Isn't it another open air (multi storey) center?

You would walk from shop to shop in open space?

Didn't they learn from the failed Avenue on 2nd rd. that struggles to keep alive?

And at the Avenue they at least have some "life', people walking.

Between Soi 5 and 6 I usually rush trough.

A dead spot.

The Bay (the new shopping center) is much smaller than The Avenue and I think was planned to be mostly restaurants and bars with a few stores.  The big open plaza in the front was originally designed for live entertainment but we'll see how much of that materializes--or if the design changed.  I think that part of Beach Road can support some chain restaurants for people who don't want to go to Central Festival or Central Marina. 

22 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

That very loud thud you just heard was a joint doomed for failure sooner than later.....unless the Chinese stop getting on the boats? ???

I think it should do ok because, first, that part of the beach is currently underserved by chain brand restaurants.  Second, it's not that big so it doesn't have to attract too many businesses.  Third, there's a lot of growth going on in that area. Fourth, a fair number of nice hotels within walking distance with customers possibly looking for chain brands and maybe a few upscale restaurants.

If its going to do OK I would have expected to see it doing alot  better right now at high season start. So seems there has not been much interest from renters/businesses.(for last six months)  Then there is another outside walk around type mall under construction on second road approx across from Soi 1. " Fisherman Village". At least as large as The Bay.    Also The Bay has blocked the sea views on the lower half floors of the two hotels behind it 

Edited by morrobay
add

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

If its going to do OK I would have expected to see it doing alot  better right now at high season start. So seems there has not been much interest from renters/businesses.(for last six months)  Then there is another outside walk around type mall under construction on second road approx across from Soi 1. " Fisherman Village". At least as large as The Bay.    Also The Bay has blocked the sea views on the lower half floors of the two hotels behind it 

Give it some time for the retail to go in, I think they were finishing up some of the construction.  There's only one hotel directly behind The Bay, Selection Hotel, and I don't think they can complain about lost views because they were involved with The Bay development.  According to the Kingdom Property website, the hotel was to be expanded/redeveloped as part of the whole plan but perhaps the hotel part has been put on hold.  I think someone on Pattaya Beach wanting a hamburger, a pizza, or other food is probably not going to walk back to Second Road if there is a restaurant right there in front of them. 

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It appears the Beach Rd frontage is heading the way of Phuket and will become mainly Franchises, fast food chain shops and hotels etc etc, and our old friend,  beer bars with a view will be pushed back.

Yes,a lot of us oldtimers didn't realize how good we had it.Might as well stay home as live in a farang ghetto.

Just now, newnative said:

There's only one hotel directly behind The Bay, Selection Hotel, and I don't think they can complain about lost views because they were involved with The Bay development.  According to the Kingdom Property website, the hotel was to be expanded/redeveloped as part of the whole plan but perhaps the hotel part has been put on hold.  I think someone on Pattaya Beach wanting a hamburger, a pizza, or other food is probably not going to walk back to Second Road if there is a restaurant right there in front of them. 

Yes one hotel directly behind, but there is a second hotel " Seven Zea "  on Soi 5 behind The Bay. Of a previous 180o    sea view, now about 30o. on lower half.. Looks like the hotel plan is not the only thing on hold. All that sheet metal around the Soi 5 area of the Bay is enclosing unfinished  areas  as well as piles of construction junk. That place could sit like that indefinitely. No the Second rd construction would not impact The Bay , like the many other restaurants in the area, the point was: just another walk around outside type mall in bad location for business.   

Edited by morrobay

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Yes one hotel directly behind, but there is a second hotel " Seven Zea "  on Soi 5 behind The Bay. Of a previous 180o    sea view, now about 30o. on lower half.. Looks like the hotel plan is not the only thing on hold. All that sheet metal around the Soi 5 area of the Bay is enclosing unfinished  areas  as well as piles of construction junk. That place could sit like that indefinitely. No the Second rd construction would not impact The Bay , like the many other restaurants in the area, the point was: just another walk around outside type mall in bad location for business.   

Don't think it's a bad location at all.  That part of Beach Road is underserved with chain restaurants/indoor-type restaurants. The outdoor part of the mall shouldn't be a drawback  since it's right across from the beach and the stores have A/C.   Can't feel too sorry for Seven Zea--it's a low-rise hotel so it's view would have eventually been blocked by whatever was built on the land adjacent to it.  And, I imagine it blocks whatever is behind it, and so it goes.