Alcohol Watch calls for probe of top cop

webfact

1 hour ago, OldPedro said:

On my last visit to Soi 80 Hua Hin, bar staff informed me that local police visited all bars once a month to collect their "tea money". So, when will authorities own up to this practice, which presumably occurs in all entertainment areas, and do something about it....?!

When all the bars there join up, and secretly film the extortionists or present CCTV to the bosses in Bangkok. Marking the banknotes might help too. People will despatched there to offer a slap on the wrist and it will cease. At least for a month or two,

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Now wouldn't that open quite a can of worms.

Public officials shouldn't be allowed to have other sources of income except with prior approval which should not be given lightly or simply on ' the nod '.

However having said this I'm sure nothing will change because it would affect too many important people and especially those who can make the decision to stop this sort of thing.

He probably was going by the universal bureaucrat's motto, "It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When all the bars there join up, and secretly film the extortionists or present CCTV to the bosses in Bangkok. Marking the banknotes might help too. People will despatched there to offer a slap on the wrist and it will cease. At least for a month or two,

I don't think so. From my reading of Thai history, it appears that every new King had to do the same thing, reform the courts and the bureaucracy, which had become corrupt as his predecessor grew feeble and was unable to supervise them vigorously.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:02 AM, Johnniey said:

Are you a Thai citizen?  if you are not making any steps to becoming one,  which I highly suspect,  then  you have absolutely no right to tell anyone what Thai public officials should our shouldn't do. 

You make clear on one hand what you think of Thai people and culture and then have the audacity to  suggest what they should do.

As a retiree,  you should be grateful with the relaxed  visa laws that allow you to remain as a guest in this country.

Wow Johnniey, isn't it about time you manned up, got rid of your inhibitions and told us what you really think ?

I take it you are a Thai citizen so feel entitled to berate someone who has a right to his opinion or are you just a foreigner like the rest of us but living in your own little world ?

2 minutes ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Wow Johnniey, isn't it about time you manned up, got rid of your inhibitions and told us what you really think ?

I take it you are a Thai citizen so feel entitled to berate someone who has a right to his opinion or are you just a foreigner like the rest of us but living in your own little world ?

What a rude post.

What do you mean "manned up"?  What "inhibitions"?

Answer those questions, apologize for the flame and I'll answer the next question.

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

What a rude post.

What do you mean "manned up"?  What "inhibitions"?

Answer those questions, apologize for the flame and I'll answer the next question.

From what I've read in the past you don't hesitate to be rude but can't take it back.

Edited by Caveat Emptor

Not sure what the Thai police Code of Conduct and Ethics are as well as what type of legislation is in place such as a 'Police Act' that relates to the conduct of police (such as in my country Australia - NSW) and acceptable penalties.  

Is there an anti-corruption commission, an oversight body such as an Ombudsman?  In Australia there are several oversight bodies from internal to external.  Police are regularly scrutinized (often overkill from vexatious complaints that have ruined careers and mental health of police but that is another story) - it seems quite apparent that the Thai citizens are shifting more and more to pushing this.  

Is the conduct of the officer in this country actually an offence of corruption?  I mean, is there any legislation that exists that states that what he is doing is legally (I now morally it is -in many eyes) wrong? 

Does he have to declare conflict of interests?  In this case he seems to have done this.  Unless the Thai government changes legislation then I cannot blame this officer or any others from taking advantage of the system.  

It is all well and good to be critical of the police but have a look in your own backyard (and possibly yourself) and think of all the wheeling and dealing that goes on in the corporate sector that is immoral, illegal, unethical.  

Police are after all just humans, not robots or not some special breeding program where they are genetically different from the rest of us.  If you want their standards and behaviour to improve then legislate it and change employment contracts/terms of employment.  

There are bad eggs in the bunch as there are for any large organisation and this will never change as a percentage of humans will always be bad.  But on the whole there is obviously something working as there is still general law and order - maybe a lot rougher around the edges than in developed countries but you can read up on the same issues going on around the world especially in developing and semi developed nations.  Unavoidable.