Trump dismisses reports of Russian meddling

webfact

Trump dismisses reports of Russian meddling

Catherine Hardy

606x341_352093.jpg

NEW YORK: -- US President-elect Donald Trump says he does not believe reports that intelligence agencies concluded Russia intervened in the presidential election on his behalf.

He blamed Democrats for putting out the media reports and said he did not believe they came from the CIA.

“I think it is ridiculous. I think it is just another excuse. I don’t believe it,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News Sunday.

“I think the Democrats are putting it out because they suffered one of the greatest defeats in the history of politics in this country.”

“They have no idea if it’s Russia or China or somebody. It could be somebody sitting in a bed some place,” Trump finished.

The claims

US intelligence agencies have told Congress and the Obama administration that Russia has grown increasingly aggressive in Syria and Ukraine.

They also say Moscow has stepped up its activities in cyberspace, including meddling, sometimes covertly, in European and US elections.

“High confidence”

A senior US intelligence official told reporters that intelligence agencies have concluded with “high confidence” that not only did their Russian counterparts direct the hacking of Democratic Party organisations and leaders, but they did so to undermine Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

Republican concerns

Two leading Republican voices on foreign policy in the US Senate have joined two Democratic Senators in expressing concern over the reports on Russian interference.

John McCain and Lindsey Graham say it cannot become a partisan issue.

“For years, foreign adversaries have directed cyber attacks at America’s physical, economic and military infrastructure, while stealing our intellectual property,” the senators – including Democrats Chuck Schumer and Jack Reed – said in a statement.

“Recent reports of Russian interference in our election should alarm every American.”

“This cannot become a partisan issue. The stakes are too high for our country,” the statement finished.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBI Disagrees With CIA On Russian Influence In The Presidential Election

A senior FBI counterintelligence official met with Republican and Democrat members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in order to give the bureau’s view of a recent CIA report. The official did not concur with the CIA, frustrating Democrats.

Of course Trump's going to dismiss these claims.  It's in his best interests! LOL  Otherwise, his election might be in jeopardy!

http://www.dailywire.com/news/10113/3-reasons-trumps-refusal-accept-election-results-ben-shapiro

Trump raised the issue himself in the week prior to the third presidential debate by calling the polls wrong, and the election and the media rigged. When Chris Wallace of Fox News asked Trump whether he would accept the results of a duly certified election, Trump demurred. “What I’m saying now is I will tell you at the time,” Trump said. “I will keep you in suspense, okay?”

This man changes his mind fast.  Especially when it suits his interests.

12 minutes ago, Pimay1 said:

A senior FBI counterintelligence official met with Republican and Democrat members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in order to give the bureau’s view of a recent CIA report. The official did not concur with the CIA, frustrating Democrats.

This seems to have become more of a political battle.  Not one focused on what really happened.  Everybody seems to be trying to protect their vested interests, which is sad.

11 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This seems to have become more of a political battle.  Not one focused on what really happened.  Everybody seems to be trying to protect their vested interests, which is sad.

Right. You would think when it comes to national security these fools would put politics aside and work together but that is only a pipe dream. It comes down to what's in it for me.

“Recent reports of Russian interference in our election should alarm every American.”

“This cannot become a partisan issue. The stakes are too high for our country,” the statement finished.

"Red Alert, red alert! Raise shields. Lt Uhura, open a secure channel to Putin. I wanna talk to that Klingon."

7 minutes ago, Pimay1 said:

Right. You would think when it comes to national security these fools would put politics aside and work together but that is only a pipe dream. It comes down to what's in it for me.

Trump dismissing the intelligence community with a comment that these are the same people that said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction is totally inappropriate.  Not something the leader of a country like the US should do.  Looks like we are in for a wild ride over the next 4 years.  Not a great leader.

9 minutes ago, Thrilla said:

No 'facts' have or will be produced - just hearsay, no responibility in believing  ..or repeating hearsay

And no real details may ever be released.  They are trying to keep it a secret as to how they found out. Makes sense.  From everything I've read, there are plenty of facts and plenty of those who really know what's going on saying it happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/us/private-security-group-says-russia-was-behind-john-podestas-email-hack.html

On Thursday, private security researchers said they had concluded that Mr. Podesta was hacked by Russia’s foreign intelligence service, the GRU, after it tricked him into clicking on a fake Google login page last March, inadvertently handing over his digital credentials.

Not hearsay.

1 hour ago, Pimay1 said:

That's an overstatement. The FBI hasn't dismissed Russian influence, but they are not as convinced by the claim as the CIA.  Remember that the two agencies operate according to different evidence thresholds. The FBI approaches cases in terms of what will stand up in a court of law; they demand overwhelming and convincing evidence. On the other hand, the CIA reaches conclusions based on a proponderance of the evidence because they more typically have to operate under conditions of uncertainty and move quickly (which is why you get things like the fictional WMDs in Iraq). In the present case, it may be impossible to obtain the kind of evidence that would satisfy the FBI...  hackers don't leave calling cards.  But it would be a mistake to believe that the Russians weren't behind the hacking simply because the FBI is unable to reach its evidentiary threshold. 

10 minutes ago, Docno said:

That's an overstatement. The FBI hasn't dismissed Russian influence, but they are not as convinced by the claim as the CIA.  Remember that the two agencies operate according to different evidence thresholds. The FBI approaches cases in terms of what will stand up in a court of law; they demand overwhelming and convincing evidence. On the other hand, the CIA reaches conclusions based on a proponderance of the evidence because they more typically have to operate under conditions of uncertainty and move quickly (which is why you get things like the fictional WMDs in Iraq). In the present case, it may be impossible to obtain the kind of evidence that would satisfy the FBI...  hackers don't leave calling cards.  But it would be a mistake to believe that the Russians weren't behind the hacking simply because the FBI is unable to reach its evidentiary threshold. 

From that article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/national-security/fbi-and-cia-give-differing-accounts-to-lawmakers-on-russias-motives-in-2016-hacks/2016/12/10/c6dfadfa-bef0-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?client=safari

“There’s no question that [the Russians’] efforts went one way, but it’s not clear that they have a specific goal or mix of related goals,” said one U.S. official.

Basically, seems the FBI agree Russia hacked the email server.  But the intent is in question.  Was it to influence the election results or to undermine credibility for the election process.   From what I've read, there's agreement Russia did the hacking.  The intent is what's being debated.  Please correct me, with facts, if you feel I'm wrong!  But please read the entire article first. LOL

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump dismissing the intelligence community with a comment that these are the same people that said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction is totally inappropriate.  Not something the leader of a country like the US should do.  Looks like we are in for a wild ride over the next 4 years.  Not a great leader.

Actually no...I think  this is what those before him should have done Call a spade a spade when appropriate...otherwise it is the same as the "face" BS we all deride Thailand politicians for

This keeping a lie quiet is not the right way & to tell you the truth I hate to say this reality star/businessman is being more "US" presidential than many before him.

Time to cut thru the chaff...truth hurts? Yes but tis a shorter path in the end

The Democrats in particular, and the Left in general, seems set for a very long cruise on the good ship Sore Loser.

Let's add in the EU bureaucrats and the UK media folks who can't accept the Brexit vote, plus all the pathetic US college snowflakes who melted down after the Trump victory.

Should be a fun trip. The sound of whining will be audible for hundreds of miles.

There could be something in this. If any institution knows about covertly meddling in the political affairs of a sovereign nation, undermining the democratic will of the people and imposing right-wing dictators to benefit their own agenda, it is the CIA.

1 minute ago, mania said:

Actually no...I think  this is what those before him should have done

Call a spade a spade when appropriate

This keeping a lie quiet is not the right way & to tell you the truth I hate to say

this reality star/businessman is being more "US" presidential than many before him.

Time to cut thru the chaff...truth hurts? Yes but tis a shorter path in the end

Your missing the fact this could have a huge impact on Trump.  If the investigation proves Russia had an effect on the outcome of the election, he could be in hot water.  He wants this to go away quickly.  So you are right.  This should not be kept quiet and Trump should be supporting a full scale investigation.  That's the only way to uncover the truth.  Not with deflections like he's doing.

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There could be something in this. If any institution knows about covertly meddling in the political affairs of a sovereign nation, undermining the democratic will of the people and imposing right-wing dictators to benefit their own agenda, it is the CIA.

Or the KGB.  Or....

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/finger-pointed-at-russians-in-alleged-coup-plot-in-montenegro/

Finger pointed at Russians in alleged coup plot in Montenegro

Sometimes, it's good to look at things from a different perspective....

The modern American Conservative. No conspiracy theory is too ridiculous. Except this one. Because there's just no way an essentially hostile foreign power with both the motivation and the capability could possibly do something like this. 

Just now, craigt3365 said:

Your missing the fact this could have a huge impact on Trump.  If the investigation proves Russia had an effect on the outcome of the election, he could be in hot water.  He wants this to go away quickly.  So you are right.  This should not be kept quiet and Trump should be supporting a full scale investigation.  That's the only way to uncover the truth.  Not with deflections like he's doing.

If this & if that only counts in bench racing

What we know know is what matters.

Twisting that he called a spade a spade about WMD's like you used as an example of a bad leader is what I did not agree with

So now you say some things kept secret (lack of WMD's) makes a good leader? Yet this with no proof needs airing? Which is it then?

I think folks need to calm the heck down & wait to see whats what & how he does.

I do not know if he will be a great leader but if he is willing to cut thru the BS & call things as he see's them

I say that is a darn sight better than before & surely better than Hillary

All this Russia innuendo leaves out the facts about wikileaks or even the fact Snowden has been living in Russia with his

bag of facts too.

Lastly much of this crapola is due to one lying cheating Hillary having a illegal server in the 1st place

56 minutes ago, dcpo said:

The modern American Conservative. No conspiracy theory is too ridiculous. Except this one. Because there's just no way an essentially hostile foreign power with both the motivation and the capability could possibly do something like this. 

No but for folks like us actually living in the USA we have been hearing for a long time how sick everyone was of the status quo ........believe it or not we were not surprised in the least when Hillary lost Which is why we thought it hilarious watching folks like JT here & Publicus tell everyone say hello to madame president...we knew it was likely not gonna happen

We had 8 years of rotten crap from  O.  We hope for the best as always we are Americans

3 minutes ago, mania said:

If this & if that only counts in bench racing

What we know know is what matters.

Twisting that he called a spade a spade about WMD's like you used as an example of a bad leader is what I did not agree with

So now you say some things kept secret (lack of WMD's) makes a good leader? Yet this with no proof needs airing? Which is it then?

I think folks need to calm the heck down & wait to see whats what & how he does.

I do not know if he will be a great leader but if he is willing to cut thru the BS & call things as he see's them

I say that is a darn sight better than before & surely better than Hillary

All this Russia innuendo leaves out the facts about wikileaks or even the fact Snowden has been living in Russia with his

bag of facts too.

Lastly much of this crapola is due to one lying cheating Hillary having a illegal server in the 1st place

What I'm saying is talking about WMD is a deflection.  There's enough proof Russia did the hacking.  And I'm sure the US has done hacking also.  Politics need to be put aside and this thing needs to be investigated.  Trump's shown he can't do this.  A foreign country either trying to influence an election or undermine faith in the election process can't be accepted.  I'm sure you agree with that.  Politics aside.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

What I'm saying is talking about WMD is a deflection.  There's enough proof Russia did the hacking.  And I'm sure the US has done hacking also.  Politics need to be put aside and this thing needs to be investigated.  Trump's shown he can't do this.  A foreign country either trying to influence an election or undermine faith in the election process can't be accepted.  I'm sure you agree with that.  Politics aside.

I think it was totally appropriate & calling a spade a spade.

I hope when he takes office he dismantles that BS 3 letter agency that thinks it is a govt unto itself &

a few other 3 letter agencies too

I do not believe for 1 second anyone influenced the voters period

If the counts were boosted or diminished you think the USA with NSA would not KNOW this period???

Come on............

You folks are grasping at straws well beyond tin foil cap territory

4 minutes ago, mania said:

I hope when he takes office he dismantles that BS 3 letter agency that thinks it is a govt unto itself &

I hope he does so too. Why waste money on The CIA when Trump can get all his intelligence from Alex Jones?

1 minute ago, Thakkar said:

IMG_1118.PNG

Someone from the Nixon Administration lecturing us on dirty tricks. Now I *have* seen everything!

Oh, merciful Lord, take me now.

I don't understand the relevance of the report to the Electoral College vote UNLESS there is some evidence of collusion between the winning candidate/party and the alleged foreign hacking. I haven't seen or heard any accusations of such. Are those types of allegations being floated?

36 minutes ago, mania said:

I think it was totally appropriate & calling a spade a spade.

I do not believe for 1 second anyone influenced the voters period

If the counts were boosted or diminished you think the USA with NSA would not KNOW this period???

Come on............

You folks are grasping at straws well beyond tin foil cap territory

So you are saying that hacking the DNC email server, revealing some nasty emails and then posting them publicly didn't have any impact on any voter?  Really?  That's quite the opposite of what many here are saying.  Some, are glad it was done.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

So you are saying that hacking the DNC email server, revealing some nasty emails and then posting them publicly didn't have any impact on any voter?  Really?  That's quite the opposite of what many here are saying.  Some, are glad it was done.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

I mean I am sure it was important to some like yourself as talking points but.......

I think for most living in the USA we had made up our minds quite awhile back SOS was not going to fly

The whole Email FBI BS was just a sideshow

Folks had long since made up their minds & I doubt it swayed any........From either side

Edited by mania

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I am sorry that it was done but I am pleased that the information came to light. It proved what many had been speculating about.

Edited by lannarebirth