HM the King grants sweeping Royal pardon

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Interesting. Was there any press conference explanation speech following the decision?

Never had one for the many, many previous royal pardons.

3 hours ago, phycokiller said:

never understood the concept of mass royal pardons (in general, not just thailand), it undermines the justice system surely. i realize the prisons are overloaded and its a good way to get the support of criminals and make them realize whose the boss, but seems very third world to me

There's the whole uniquely Thai, kriengjai, song sahn and making merit to take into consideration. I am pretty sure that the judges that consigned these ne'er do wells to gaol are not losing any sleep over their premature release.

1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

Were there people (still) in jail for the fire that burned down Central World on 19 May 2010 and if so ..did they benefit from the Royal Pardon?

No.

15 minutes ago, piersbeckett said:

Two political advantages to this move, as I see it; muscle-flexing directed at the junta and a show of compassion directed at the populous - Long Live The King

Your post seems to display some gross misunderstandings about these annual Royal Pardons.

You do not seem to understand that it is a lengthy bureaucratic process with several stages lasting months or years involving different strands of the civil service and government with committees considering both the process and individual appeals for clemency.

Your post seems to reflect an erroneous belief that the Palace go through a list of prisoners with a pencil the night before putting ticks and crosses by names of prisoners. Your post also seems to suggest this is an unusual occurrence, a strategy, a power play, when it is, of course, an annual event.

Your post then goes on to create a power battle between the Palace and the current military administration! Do you have any evidence for these claims?

I am sorry to ask but did you just get off the boat?

50 minutes ago, piersbeckett said:

Two political advantages to this move, as I see it; muscle-flexing directed at the junta and a show of compassion directed at the populous - Long Live The King

The move that's been going on this time of year for ages? Not a likely assessment.

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Will they receive any treatment to ensure that their problems do not cause them to reoffend?

{I do not refer to the conditions struck through, rather the one in bold/underlined}

I take it that you are assuming they were mentally ill before they went to prison?

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I take it that you are assuming they were mentally ill before they went to prison?

I am.

However those who have developed mental health issues in gaol are hardly likely to cope any better in society upon release.

5 hours ago, al007 said:

What about those in exile, any hope for them to be able to return and not go to Prison

The statute of limitations put on Thaksin was long, he has to wait until 2028, but he did once buy a certain someone a really nice car, we shall see how things pan out.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I am.

However those who have developed mental health issues in gaol are hardly likely to cope any better in society upon release.

Hardly better they do in the hell hole that has driven them insane?  I should think they have a far higher chance of recovery if they leave.

Oh, and Gaol?  Any reason you are writing some words using the 18th century spellings?

11 hours ago, Clamhua said:

Nothing like letting criminals back out on the street

Seems to me:

Those who should not be in prison:

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Prisoners who are totally blind; without both legs or hands and certified as being disabled by two doctors; who are lepers or who are suffering from cancer, AIDS, mental problem or serious kidney problem

Go free...

Others may get a reduction in their sentences. 

The thing is those who are in self imposed exile avoiding prison, as far as I understand will get no reduction in there sentences should they come back to Thailand. :clap2:

Edited by Basil B

33 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Hardly better they do in the hell hole that has driven them insane?  I should think they have a far higher chance of recovery if they leave.

Oh, and Gaol?  Any reason you are writing some words using the 18th century spellings?

Gaol is a perfectly apt word, you don't like it?

I don't care.

Now back to topic [which you seem determined from the get go to go off again] I never said they should be in gaol if they have mental issues, just posed the question will they receive support once they leave gaol.

Something that seems to have upset you...or could you have other reasons for your rather unnecessary reaction to the word gaol? 

Edited by Bluespunk

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Gaol is a perfectly apt word, you don't like it?

I don't care.

Now back to topic [which you seem determined from the get go to go off again] I never said they should be in gaol if they have mental issues, just posed the question will they receive support once they leave gaol.

Something that seems to have upset you...or could you have other reasons for your rather unnecessary reaction to the word gaol? 

I was just surprised to see such an archaic spelling being used, I think some are confused by the fact that it is still used in the names of prisons which were built and named in past centuries.  Anyway, not upset at all, you're just being sensitive.

I wouldn't doubt that they will receive treatment, not that the mental hospitals are much better than prisons in Thailand, well apart from the drugs, obviously.

12 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Interesting. Was there any press conference explanation speech following the decision?

No, it's a traditional action. The King is a Dhammarajah, who displays his compassion for those of his subjects who have fallen into misfortune. The kings traditionally do it after significant birthdays, too. 

5 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I was just surprised to see such an archaic spelling being used, I think some are confused by the fact that it is still used in the names of prisons which were built and named in past centuries.  Anyway, not upset at all, you're just being sensitive.

I wouldn't doubt that they will receive treatment, not that the mental hospitals are much better than prisons in Thailand, well apart from the drugs, obviously.

I think you've never visited one. My sister-in-law (elder) had tp spend a couple months in the one in Korat for severe depression. Quite a nice place, really, if you're used to living like a Thai.

3 hours ago, performance said:

Good news let every rapist and murderer back out. I understand the wests reluctant nature to issue Thais a VISA lol.

Did you actually read the post and which categories of prisoners would be released?

I must have missed the part about rapists and murderers being released. Can you point that part out for me?

Here is a copy from the OP in case you missed it.

The Royal decree regarding the Royal pardon was countersigned by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha and published in the Royal Gazette on Saturday.

Under the Royal decree, prisoners serving detention term; those ordered to perform public service in lieu of fines and those placed on probation will be released from prison.

Prisoners who are totally blind; without both legs or hands and certified as being disabled by two doctors; who are lepers or who are suffering from cancer, AIDS, mental problem or serious kidney problem; first-time female prisoners who have served at least one-thirds of their prison terms will be set free under the Royal decree.

Prisoners who are older than 60 and who have served at least one-thirds of their prison terms as well as first-time prisoners who have served at least one-thirds of their terms.

Prisoners on death row for specific offences will have their sentence commuted to life imprisonment; those serving life imprisonment will have their jailterm reduced to 50 years and then cut by half for prisoners classified as outstanding, one-thirds for “very good” prisoners and one-fourths for prisoners classified as “good”.

20 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I think you've never visited one. My sister-in-law (elder) had tp spend a couple months in the one in Korat for severe depression. Quite a nice place, really, if you're used to living like a Thai.

We have someone in one at the moment, she was acting a bit wierd and her mother in law had her sectioned, now she is properly crazy, I put it down to being locked up and fed with experimental drugs.

23 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Sorry, what do you mean by "living like a Thai", swanning around sky bars, feasting on lobster and fine wines? 

3 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

A  Sandie  Shaw  moment

His Majesty will grant a Royal pardon to inmates according to, I guess, a list which will be forwarded to Him by the Ministry of Justice, or its carceral administration services. What I'm afraid of, the more so considering the huge number of those who will benefit of this Royal pardon, is that 'some' will, possibly, get it for 'wrong reasons', thanks to 'influential persons', or just being one... 

This is very good news and will help a lot of people who really need it. It is horrible the amount of first timers, old people, and other vulnerable groups in prison with basically no medical services, unsanitary conditions, and definitely no rehabilitation services, for decades of their lives. 

I know a Thai from samui, inside for three years for stealing a motorbike. He hurt his foot when he crashed it - never got treated right. Now he can't walk well. 

The King's decision will improve the lives of a lot of people.

Edited by the donger

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

nice gesture, however here's hoping due diligence has been done and these criminals are not ones who will, upon release, revert to their old ways and negatively impact the lives of law abiding citizens.

Most of those are in positions of power and will never see a day inside a prison cell.