Donald Trump questions US commitment to 'One China' policy

webfact

Donald Trump questions US commitment to 'One China' policy

Tom Phillips in Beijing

President-elect says he sees no reason why the US should continuing abiding by the policy unless a bargain is reached with Beijing involving trade

BEIJING: --  Donald Trump has risked further alienating China’s Communist party leaders after declaring he was willing to abandon more than four decades of diplomatic understanding with the world’s second largest economy unless a fresh accord between the two sides could be struck.

In an interview with Fox News, the president-elect said he saw no reason why the US should continuing abiding by the “One China” policy – by which Taiwan is officially considered part of the same single Chinese nation as the mainland – unless Beijing was prepared to enter into some kind of bargain.

“I don’t know why we have to be bound by a ‘One China’ policy unless we make a deal with Chinahaving to do with other things, including trade,” Trump told the channel on Sunday.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/12/donald-trump-questions-us-commitment-to-one-china-policy

-- The Guardian 2016-12-12

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds good to me. Time for the west to stop bending over to China. Nothing good for western workers has happened because of China- just the opposite.

Exactly. All those cheap Chinese socks and t-shirts and underwear, lowering their living costs for western workers and driving their dollar further - a total con-job

23 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Exactly. All those cheap Chinese socks and t-shirts and underwear, lowering their living costs for western workers and driving their dollar further - a total con-job

I've read several reports that say the US has more to lose in an economic war than China does.  Though both will be losers. 

Trump 101; you have to open negotiations if you want to negotiate. I'd say this is part of opening negotiations with China and it will take all 4 years of his term. What can China do except make it difficult to sell US made goods on their mainland, oh wait they already do.

26 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

So the west gave up millions of good jobs so that the middle class could buy cheap t shirts- good job, not.

Millions of workers in western countries have lost their jobs because of China. It's hard to be buying stuff if one is on foodstamps.

It's not even as though the junk coming out of China lasts more than 5 minutes either. It's cheap and useless.

24 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

True. USA imports close to 500B each year. Mostly electrical items, furnitures, footwears etc at low affordable prices. USA will never able to make and sell similar products at the same price. Trump is over simplifying matters again; a dangerous trait of him that will get him into trouble. 

44 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

It seems to me that your understanding of the way the global economy works, is as deep as my understanding of the Iranian language, which is 0

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

True. USA imports close to 500B each year. Mostly electrical items, furnitures, footwears etc at low affordable prices. USA will never able to make and sell similar products at the same price. Trump is over simplifying matters again; a dangerous trait of him that will get him into trouble. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

In addition who is the biggest buyer of US Government bonds? I believe it is China which holds billions in such bonds. If Mr Trump tries to push his such too much, he could get into big trouble with the Chinese on this financial front.

It's simply the opening salvo from Trump. He knows darn well he could never reconize Taiwan as the sole government of China and also knows he cannot recognize them as a separate Nation. He just wants to get the Chinese in a 'negotiating' mood.

16 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

In addition who is the biggest buyer of US Government bonds? I believe it is China which holds billions in such bonds. If Mr Trump tries to push his such too much, he could get into big trouble with the Chinese on this financial front.

I think the largest buyer is the US government itself through the Social Security trust fund. China is the largest foreign buyer.

In either case, the ability of China to hurt the US with bonds is limited. They could push interest rates slightly higher, but that is all. At the same time doing this would hurt China in that it would have to sell its bonds below the market rate.

40 minutes ago, lgking said:

I can not see America ever really becoming competitive as it's labor costs are way too high.

America is very competitive.  Just not in the mass production of lower end goods that are relatively easily made.  Same with all other countries in the West.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So the west gave up millions of good jobs so that the middle class could buy cheap t shirts- good job, not.

Millions of workers in western countries have lost their jobs because of China. It's hard to be buying stuff if one is on foodstamps.

It's not even as though the junk coming out of China lasts more than 5 minutes either. It's cheap and useless.

There are many who would argue the US is getting a great deal.  Trading a piece of paper (money) for goods.  Classic economic argument.  Though as we know, it's a very complicated relationship.  Many have benefited, many have not.  But there's no going back.

As for cheap and useless, many quality products are made in China and Asia.  The list of marque products is extremely long.  The hard drive in your computer was probably made here.

As long as the dollar is the global reserve currency then China needs to have the US purchase vast amounts of goods in order to have enough dollars to buy foreign oil. Iraq threatened to accept other currencies for oil and look what happened to Iraq. China does do some bartering for oil, but that has its limits.

I can't stand Trump, but standing up to China regarding Taiwan is not a bad move. I am friends with plenty of Taiwanese, none of whom have any connection now, nor desire in the future to have anything to do with the PRC. If you support the concept of self-determination then you must support Taiwanese independence. The PRC's claim is now as ludicrous as the UK demanding its American colonies back.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Trump sees no issue with dealing with China as he probably plans to move his companies manufacturing to Ethopia following Ivanka's lead.

Ivanka Trump’s Shoe Factory Is Moving From China To Ethiopia Because Labor Costs There Are Much Cheaper

http://www.joemygod.com/2016/11/28/ivanka-trumps-shoe-factory-is-moving-from-china-to-ethiopia-because-labor-costs-are-70-cheaper/

4 minutes ago, Johpa said:

As long as the dollar is the global reserve currency then China needs to have the US purchase vast amounts of goods in order to have enough dollars to buy foreign oil. Iraq threatened to accept other currencies for oil and look what happened to Iraq. China does do some bartering for oil, but that has its limits.

Probably that is the main reason for some big players to get rid of dollar. A money without real value ...

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't like either Trump or Clinton.  But the US would have done just fine with Clinton.  Trump is a question mark.  Clinton is not.

I am for Trump, yes. The only reason for this is Clintons'  background. Surely Trump has a lot to hide too.

In the Clinton era, the whole word was not the same as we see now including the debt of the USA. 

If we have to choose between these two I am positive Trump can handle this case better than Clinton. 

29 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

There are many who would argue the US is getting a great deal.  Trading a piece of paper (money) for goods.  Classic economic argument.  Though as we know, it's a very complicated relationship.  Many have benefited, many have not.  But there's no going back.

As for cheap and useless, many quality products are made in China and Asia.  The list of marque products is extremely long.  The hard drive in your computer was probably made here.

So true.  Most people blithely ignore the fact that most of these so called "shoddy" goods are, "as ordered" from the foreign company.  The Chinese only provide the cheap labour.  Even the materials used in these goods is frequently supplied by the purchaser.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“I don’t know why we have to be bound by a ‘One China’ policy unless we make a deal with Chinahaving to do with other things, including trade,” Trump told the channel on Sunday.

Well Donald you have finally impressed me on this one. The Chinese have for to long been making up the rules as they go along. They do not want to give an inch in regards to Taiwan but in other things they want to take a mile. They debase the currency at will, Take over whatever parts of the China Sea that they wish and flaunt their power across the globe. They take advantage of countries that are on the ropes like Greece and others in South America. This stand on Taiwan may make them pull their horns in a little. China only understand people that stand up to them. Obama did not sadly do much of that.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

The Chinese have for to long been making up the rules as they go along. They do not want to give an inch in regards to Taiwan but in other things they want to take a mile.

That is a good example of national politic. Every serious country wants to fulfill their interests and considers the other interests as a marginal issue. 

Considering the making the rules the old UdSSR and the USA  is a good example, China just started to be a big brother. Let us see every player through the same glasses.