Looking for a job in Thailand

RyanReid

5 minutes ago, collingwood said:

A degree does not = CDF and or experience. The best educators are the people who have the most passion for their given profession....my story and sticking to it.  For those with none, CDF- Common Dog <deleted>>.e

Oh dear, that overworked word "passionate". How about "competent" or better still, "skilled"?

14 hours ago, ebonykap said:

Yes, if he is serious I had better race out and get my degree in macrame.. this is sure to make me a great teacher.

During my working life, I often came upon these degree qualified, pretentious types - all theory and no understanding of the real world. I hated dealing with them as they had no business acumen at all, and only believed what their university filled their heads with.

Now that was a post absolutely dripping with degree envy, wasn't it? I guess it's because "these degree qualified pretentious types" while happily wallowing in their pools of dull mediocrity, were making pots more money than you.

The same applies here; a degree will afford the OP opportunities to hold down a significantly better salary in significantly better educational establishments. Anyone can 'teach' in Thailand but being legal is of very little import to those that perpetually strive or can only qualify for the lower echelons of teaching here.

12 hours ago, Mansell said:

I know quite a number of people teaching in Phuket without degrees and making a good living. You will be operating on the edge of society,

There's a whole slew of people who either have done the wrong thing elsewhere or are doing the wrong thing now and living the high life while flying below the radar in Phuket. And they are not teachers either. So what's new?

16 hours ago, zd1 said:

What a load of codswallop, your saying if you haven't got a degree you have no work ethic and that is a ridiculous statement to make, there are many people out there without degrees that have a great work ethic. I don't have a degree and i'm not a teacher however I have run several businesses which require dedication and a strong work ethic, I have also met many people who do have degrees but who don't have an ounce of common sense and outside of their field of knowledge they know very little.

Your last sentence is barely comprehendible I hope your not teaching English.

To the op you can get a job teaching here but as people have said pay will be low and you probably won't be able to get a work permit, however you may try private lessons and if your any good and get a good reputation the work will roll in.

Good luck and take what some people on here say with a very large pinch of salt.

As the saying goes, "theres one born  every minute."

7 hours ago, collingwood said:

A degree does noin =inCDF and or experience. The best educators are the people who have the most passion for their given profession....my story and sticking to it.  For those with none, CDF- Common Dog <deleted>>.

e

Collingwood, are you ex Australian services.  The onIy place I ever heard 'CDF' used was when I was In the RAAF.

7 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Oh dear, that overworked word "passionate". How about "competent" or better still, "skilled"?

They're different qualities, but I agree, competence and skill are prerequisites.    However, when you add some passion to competence and skill, you have a quality product, much better than someone with a degree In science, for example, with no passion for, but teaching,  English.

1 minute ago, F4UCorsair said:

They're different qualities, but I agree, competence and skill are prerequisites.    However, when you add some passion to competence and skill, you have a quality product, much better than someone with a degree In science, for example, with no passion for, but teaching,  English.

You may find an article that you can Google interesting on this topic - Google "Kellaway passionate"

40 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

You may find an article that you can Google interesting onisthis topic - Google "Kellaway passionate"

I understand what you're getting at, and It's why I have a huge hatred for cliches.

However, somebody who Is enthusiastic about his work Is surely a better prospect than somebody who hates what he's doing?  And better than somebody who wants a job with the least responsibility??  Or even somebody who aspires to teach English and his degree Is Science?

The poster above suggests dumping his TESL/TEFL certificate and getting a degree, but what good I s a science degree other than fulfilling the requirement to actually have a degree?

A degree doesn't prove someone is more intelligent than some one without one, however it does however prove that someone has the dedication to complete 3 or 4 years of advanced education.

One thing I will add though is that some people were unable to do a degree due to financial or other commitments and I myself fall into that category. I left high school with 10 O levels and 4 A levels, so I wasn't stupid or academically unable but due to circumstances at the time I couldn't commit to taking a degree.

I'm not jealous of people with degrees and I definitely don't feel inferior to them in any way many of my good friends have degrees and they don't look at me as inferior because I don't have one, but our lives are all different and our individual circumstances lead us down the paths that we take. Some people are smarter than others but just about everybody on the planet has something they are good at and I think a piece of paper that shows that you have the commitment to study for 3 or 4 years means just that and nothing to do with intelligence.

The fact is that these schools are looking for people with that commitment because they think that they will make better employees, but because they have had the commitment once doesn't mean that they will have it again, in my opinion people who have done an open university degree or people who have self funded their degrees show the most dedication to bettering themselves and would probably make the better employees.

On 13/12/2559 at 5:21 PM, MaxiMaxi said:

It's because the thai teachers they have at school don't know and speack a bad pronounced english 

You must be a Thai English Teacher. What school do you work ?  I will not send my kid.

I have a friend with a degree in Astrophysics (literally a rocket scientist), he cant spell, cannot string two words together, writes like a four year old, no grammar, punctuation etc. He would have trouble teaching you how to tie your shoes. 

I also have a friend who is a bricklayer, with an excellent command of the English language. Teaches at trade school, and as far as I know teaches very well.

1 hour ago, bark said:

You must beina Tsai English Teacher. What school do you work ?  I will not sisnd my kid.

No I am not a teacher, and I'm not of any britisch american origin to be perfect like you but my pronounciation has no dialect Interfearance like I had to suffer In Oxford, Cambridge, London, during my studies with those original teachers but my way of speaking Is pure and very clear.

don't worry y kid won't meet me In any school and I do not need to meet neither him nor you.

Maybe my english Is not as good as yours but I speak and write 6 languages very well, not only english which Is not the only language on this planet.

Have a good day testa di rapa

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:37 AM, sandgroper2 said:

As the saying goes, "theres one born  every minute."

I have obviously taken your originally comment completely the wrong way.

I will ask the missus where she has put my sense of humour.

As John Cleese said to Kevin Kline while being dangled out of a window in Butlers Wharf I apologise unreservedly and I offer a complete and utter retraction, the imputation was totally without basis of fact and was in no way a fair comment, I deeply regret any distress that my comment may have caused you and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

On 12/13/2016 at 8:40 PM, Goldbear said:

You don't have to be a black belt to teach a white belt. 

I am sure that a smart high school graduate, who is motivated and who has the right kind of personality could do fine teaching basic English. Of course they would have to learn how to teach English but that's what the training courses are for. 

Most university graduates don't have degrees in teaching, anyway. I have a bachelor's degree and I didn't learn anything about teaching English when I was at university. 

Good luck to the OP.  

That reminds me of my mother. She was a primary school teacher and because of her success record in teaching kids to swim, she was given responsibility for teaching swimming to all classes. She could barely swim herself.  

On 12/13/2016 at 8:18 PM, tezzainthailand said:

That's probably true, most foreign English teachers might have degrees, but there are countless schools in Thailand (many in rural areas like Isaan) that are crying out for teachers but cannot get them because many of the foreign teachers you talk about don't want to move there and the Degree requirement is an obstacle for teachers without degrees wanting to teach.  That's where there needs to be some compromise, or to allow TEFL accredited teachers (without a degree)  to teach at a marginally lower pay rate than those who have a degree and teach. 

Agreed!

22 hours ago, zd1 said:

I have obviously taken your originally comment completely the wrong way.

I will ask the missus where she has put my sense of humour.

As John Cleese said to Kevin Kline while being dangled out of a window in Butlers Wharf I apologise unreservedly and I offer a complete and utter retraction, the imputation was totally without basis of fact and was in no way a fair comment, I deeply regret any distress that my comment may have caused you and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

Me thinks you may be doing it back to me. Cheers Ol fella. 

On 12/14/2016 at 6:47 PM, F4UCorsair said:

However, somebody who Is enthusiastic about his work Is surely a better prospect than somebody who hates what he's doing?  And better than somebody who wants a job with the least responsibility??  Or even somebody who aspires to teach English and his degree Is Science?

Is your world entirely binary?

Hey Ryan

there is a whole Parallel Universe out there. While I had to seek approval from the TCT and spend big bucks on a flaming transcript, I do know teachers who work in government schools

• nearly 70 years old
  • without a degree

A colleague got some weird job description like Media Facilitator or something. No TCT, no transcript needed. 

A friend got his agency to pull strings. He got a WP in 1/10 the time I got mine. Not sure if hhis salary of only 25 k means that there is a form of pay-pack involved?

Rest assured that you will be competing with a mob with fake degrees.

Archived