Good non-touristy drinking place

cheapskatesam

My next trip to BKK is next month and this time i want to stay well away from Nana..  It's expensive anyway and i never buy the girls a drink or leave a tip no matter how many times they say im a "Farang Keenock".

Does anyone have any recommendations for me to sit in the daytime and get drunk slowly on beer? I prefer outside places with some music. I remember going to a place ages ago that was fantastic but i cannot for the life of me remember where it is.. 

I bought a beer tower and had a great time passing the day away sitting outside listening to the music and football highlights on tv :D ...

Chang_mix.jpg

2 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

It's expensive anyway and i never buy the girls a drink or leave a tip no matter how many times they say im a "Farang Keenock".

If you don't want to pay for service and/or entertainment, grab a 6 pack at 7/11 and sit in your hotel room and be miserable.

53 minutes ago, buick said:

rumours bar, queen park plaza, sukhumvit soi 22.  it opens early (i think before noon !!!).  has some of the same 'qualities' of the nana area but not too crowded and more relaxed.

...and they love customers who never leave a tip.

As has been said daytime drinking in Bangkok is not what it used to be, and will only happen (if it does) in the touristy areas. It is not a Thai habit. Assuming you want to avoid the likes of the Stumble Inn at the top of Soi Nana, Chequers and The Bus Stop may be worth a try. Bars around Soi Cowboy likewise  For a non-hassle place with a good view of BKK try the Foreign Correspondents Club but don't expect a crowd.

I'm sorry but Bangkok is a huge city.. there are drinking establishments outside of Farang sex tourist haunts and backpacker ville. I'm a 30 year old guy without a beer belly I don't need to pay ugly Issan girls plastered in makeup to get sex. I don't tip them because they're money grubbers.. i once mistakenly paid a 1000baht instead of a 100 note in a gogo . and they took advantage and took it all i only realized that happened when i woke up the next morning.

The place i mentioned was in Huai Kwang i shall endeavor to hunt it down again.. 

34 minutes ago, rott said:

As has been said daytime drinking in Bangkok is not what it used to be, and will only happen (if it does) in the touristy areas. It is not a Thai habit. Assuming you want to avoid the likes of the Stumble Inn at the top of Soi Nana, Chequers and The Bus Stop may be worth a try. Bars around Soi Cowboy likewise  For a non-hassle place with a good view of BKK try the Foreign Correspondents Club but don't expect a crowd.

yes, thats an OK place

another possible venue, River View Hotel in Talad Noi,

smack on the Cha Praya River, a few hundred meters upstream of the Marine Department

top floor offers bar/restaurant (simple stuff) quiet and brilliant view of the river and the traffic on the river

opens early (breakfast for staying in the hotel)

can sit there in solitude drinking beer all day, no ladies, no hazzle, no one bothering you for a tip

1 hour ago, Mooner said:

I cant think of a beer garden in Huay Kwang that is open in the day but im sure there are.

There are ones that open mid to late afternoon for sure and i think the night market opens at 5.

There is an awesome place.. really cheap with beer towers mostly Thai people.. and TV outside with football matches on.. lots of fans blowing. I'm sure it was near the nightmarket im desperately searching my ancient photos looking for clues 

Thanks for posting this topic, Sam - I'm a 27-yr old non-beer belly male moving to BKK in a couple weeks and was about to ask a similar question, but knew the response would mostly be from the curmudgeons who claim "BKK isn't what it used to be" and "all Thai girls are money-grubbing you-know-whats." Not very helpful. Anyway, your place in Huai Khwang sounds nice. From what I've read the Ratchada area in general probably has the most local feel in terms of bars and nightlife, so I'll bet you can find several similar places in that area. I'll arrive Jan. 3 and don't know anybody in BKK so if you find the place and want to grab a drink or 10, send me a message!

Sorry if it makes me a curmudgeon, but Bangkok ain't what it used to be and that's a fact. Probably you wouldn't have liked it anyway. As for "money-grubbing" females, don't believe a word of it they are no different to the young ladies in your street back 'ome.

I am in BKK at the week-end so if anybody comes up with the name of this place in Huay Kwang please put it on here and i will go there for a change.

But daytimes there just is not a lot going on outside the main tourist areas.

Edited by rott

I think the OP, being such a cool and uber-hip dude. is seriously demeaning himself by even coming to Bangkok. Such cocksure self-sufficiency and self-admiration would certainly be far more appreciated in somewhere far away...maybe Bali or perhaps Tasmania.

8 hours ago, dddave said:

I think the OP, being such a cool and uber-hip dude. is seriously demeaning himself by even coming to Bangkok. Such cocksure self-sufficiency and self-admiration would certainly be far more appreciated in somewhere far away...maybe Bali or perhaps Tasmania.

You forgot to include "offensive" as well, actually the more he opens his mouth the more one is inclined to think that Nana would be his natural territory were it not for the cost.

On 12/14/2016 at 1:08 AM, gdgbb said:

...and they love customers who never leave a tip.

you got that right.  i went to rumours bar yesterday with a friend for one drink each.  the bill was 185.  i put two 100 notes in the bin.  the ladies behind the bar made no effort to collect the money and provide change.  they really wanted that 15 baht !!!  and i let them have it.