Just Did My 3rd Visa Run, Officers Had Put Red Ink On My Passport

Cashe, buddy, don't sweat it. Get yourself down to Penang or KL and hook yourself up with one a TV down there. Remember to USE AN AGENT. and you'll be good as gold! So long as you don't look like a scum bucket... you'll be just fine partner. Some folks on this forum got their one year visas and just trying to establish a pecking order on here. PAY THEM NO MIND. Decent folks will ALWAYS be welcome in the Land of Smile!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is nobody applying for a tourist visa after the 2nd VOA?!

then the embassies and consulates around thailand are certainly not overrun yet ...

and one would still have a spare VOA to be on the safe side ...

or just trying to postpone spending satangs?

not money.... but waiting for someone... thailand is more cheaper place to stay into and more accessible to that someone who is waiting for her bf who travels every now and then coz of work.

Visa Visa and Visa again well it sure seem like they are cutting themsleves in the foot with all the new regulations.

I reapply for my one year type" o" visa filled all the paper works as they suggested i ask them personally if they needed something else to be certain there will be no problem answer was no we have your file and will used the same as before..well guess what it was refuse as many other farang and they show me the list about 70 of us.

Reasons i didn't produce proof of income..i had a idea this would happen but i trusted the officials here in Nong Khai were i reside for the past 3 years everybody know me i do volunteer work play golf with the Governor and vice governor on a regular basis .

Now thye give me friday 7 days to produce the papers call the government of Quebec they send me a nice letter in French since it is the only French speaking province in Canada ( i suspect they will not understand and ask me to translate in Thai) also got a letter from my friend company in Toronto stating i do consulting work for him in Singapore and later in thailand when the office will be open here paiy me 1000 dollars canadian a month , plus a letter from my wife brother stating i invested money in the fish farm and get money every 4 months when fish are sold is this will be enought NOT SURE at all.

On top of all this since here in Nong Khai they are so Incompetant speak English a little but will never speak to you always to your Thai wife so you cannot understand , with about 50 stamps in front of them and they don't know witch one to use well they give me 7 days to do all the necessary including Saturday, Sunday,And Monday whom is a day off in Thailand leaving me with 3 days and i will have to go to Korat since apparently they will give it to me the same day we will see about this and if not well time to live this country once and for all ,really tired about stupid rules bad administration , etc etc etc

No western country ask for visa run when they accept you in their country and you marry a national but i supposed they have to pay theses Immigration officials salary and all the corruption whom go with it.Time to move to the Philippines or Vietnam.

Dan

I empathise with your situation, however a move to the Phillipines or Vietnam may not be the answer as most SE Asian nations have similar strict immigration policies. I believe Indonesia has.

Maybe a better solution is to comply with the law. If you wish to stay long term get a 1 year multiple entry Non O. Preferably from your homeland or follow the Thai requirements for a 'retirement' or married to a Thai visa.

good one oxymoron

i got a one year multy visa (o) from hull before i came to thailand , only took 48 hours to be returned , stamped . paperwork easy , just the £90.00 i did not like , but there you go ,

when i got to thailand the nice man stamped my passport , then said , you have 90 days, thank you .

all well and good , but i must say , not happy with the way thailand is going , re property , i can see big problems for thailand if it keeps on this track.

just my say,

I reapply for my one year type" o"... refuse...Reasons i didn't produce proof of income...

While your post was very long it still is not quite clear what you mean with “reapply my one year type “o”. Usually, people talking about a one-year non-O visa mean a multiple-entry visa obtained from a Thai consulate, i.e. outside Thailand. However, since you say you reapplied at the Nong Kai immigration office, I assume you mean an application for extension of stay (form TM.7)

If this is the case, i.e. if you previously had an approved annual extension of stay for the reason of being married to a Thai, then it is true that nothing has changed for you. Like before, you can apply either with 400k in the bank or with proof of 40k monthly income.

Actually, there are two changes:

1. If using 400k in the bank, this money must be in your account for at least three months prior to the application.

2. If using 40k monthly income, this can be your income, your wife’s income (with proof of tax payments), or a combination of both.

--

Maestro

Is there any way that i can leave the 800k necessary for the retirement visa in a USA bank and get a statement from them stating that it is there?? I heard this was acceptable but don't see any mention of it here. I worry about wiring it to my Thai bank account. thanks in advance

This whole 'day-counting' is new, and with each month having different number of days, and so many variations for each tourist, the immigration offices have to quickly develop their own methods of counting days. I suspect the highlighted numbers 1, 2, 3 help them to spot a passport that needs to have the days manually counted. So, the upcoming crunch time is rapidly approaching, and many small offices will only have one employee who's half good at day-counting. If that worker is off sick or out to lunch, the queue will get very long. A senior officer probably thinks that day-counting is for junior staff. Sometimes the officer may make a hasty decision, refuse to do the count again, not have the verbal skills or the patience to argue it, and bingo - you're on the short end of the stick.

This is a crackdown on stamps without visas. Best solution is to get a real visa. That's easier said than done, but they say it should be done.

Fiddlehead, you do not have to show proof of any money in the bank when you apply for the non-O visa at a Thai consulate. However, if you apply for the non-OA visa, you need proof of the equivalent of 800,000 Baht in any account, which can be a US account.

Once in Thailand, when you apply for the annual extension of stay, you have to show that the 800k were in a Thai bank account for at least 3 months prior to your application. Yes, it has to be a Thai bank, and you need not worry about wiring it to Thailand. It is a perfectly safe procedure.

--

Maestro

Fiddlehead, you do not have to show proof of any money in the bank when you apply for the non-O visa at a Thai consulate. However, if you apply for the non-OA visa, you need proof of the equivalent of 800,000 Baht in any account, which can be a US account.

Once in Thailand, when you apply for the annual extension of stay, you have to show that the 800k were in a Thai bank account for at least 3 months prior to your application. Yes, it has to be a Thai bank, and you need not worry about wiring it to Thailand. It is a perfectly safe procedure.

--

Maestro

Thanks for the quick reply. Correct me if I'm wrong: I see a catch 22 here as I will arrive in Thailand Jan 11th with the 800k and the non immigrant O (hopefully, as i haven't applied yet) Then I'll have 90 days to turn that into a one year but must have the money in the Thai bank for 90 days. How? So, I guess i'll have to get the money there before i arrive, right? I never wired money before and they want something called a swift code??? Anyway, i'm working on it and appreciating any advice.

"I reapply for my one year type" o"... refuse...Reasons i didn't produce proof of income..."

While your post was very long it still is not quite clear what you mean with “reapply my one year type “o”. Usually, people talking about a one-year non-O visa mean a multiple-entry visa obtained from a Thai consulate, i.e. outside Thailand. However, since you say you reapplied at the Nong Kai immigration office, I assume you mean an application for extension of stay.

If this is the case, i.e. if you previously had an approved annual extension of stay for the reason of being married to a Thai, then it is true that nothing has changed for you. Like before, you can apply either with 400k in the bank with proof of 40k monthly income.

1. If using 400k in the bank, this money must be in your account for at least three months prior to the application.

2. If using 40k monthly income, this can be your income, your wife’s income (with proof of tax payments), or a combination of both.

That new requirement of the money having to be in the account for 3 months before the application for extension is indeed a complication and probably the creators of the rule didn’t think about it. There are two alternative ways to comply with it:

1. Get a multiple-entry non-O visa. Before the first 90 days of stay are up, do a border run to obtain a new 90-day permission to stay.

2. Enter with a single entry tourist visa: gives you permission to stay for 60 days. With at least 21 days left, go to immigration and apply for a change of visa to non-O, fee 2,000 Baht. This adds 90 days to your permission to stay.

Regarding SWIFT (wire) transfers, this is routine for expats. Talk to your US bank and arrange with them for Internet banking; some bank forms to sign.

Once in Thailand, open a Thai savings account as soon as possible and ask the Thai bank for their SWIFT code. Then you can order the transfer of money online from your computer.

--

Maestro

I empathise with your situation, however a move to the Phillipines or Vietnam may not be the answer as most SE Asian nations have similar strict immigration policies. I believe Indonesia has.

Maybe a better solution is to comply with the law. If you wish to stay long term get a 1 year multiple entry Non O. Preferably from your homeland or follow the Thai requirements for a 'retirement' or married to a Thai visa.

Vietnam has some real drawbacks due to its restrictive govt but it is cheap and fairly easy stay there. A six month business visa requires no border runs and costs around $200. You can renew it without leaving the country. Your hotel can be your sponsor for the Business Visa.

"I reapply for my one year type" o"... refuse...Reasons i didn't produce proof of income..."

While your post was very long it still is not quite clear what you mean with “reapply my one year type “o”. Usually, people talking about a one-year non-O visa mean a multiple-entry visa obtained from a Thai consulate, i.e. outside Thailand. However, since you say you reapplied at the Nong Kai immigration office, I assume you mean an application for extension of stay.

If this is the case, i.e. if you previously had an approved annual extension of stay for the reason of being married to a Thai, then it is true that nothing has changed for you. Like before, you can apply either with 400k in the bank with proof of 40k monthly income.

One comment here:

Last month I renewed my “Marriage Visa” with the assistance of a highly competent international Thai attorney who is also a personal friend. Bangkok Immigration informed our attorney of the following regarding the current requirements for the “Marriage Visa.”

1-The 400K Bhat. requirement is no longer available for (new) applicants wishing to apply for a “marriage visa.”

2-The requirement for (new) applicants is proof of a minimum of 40K Bhat per-month in combined income.

3-For those renewing there “Marriage Visa” under the previous 400K Bhat in a Thai Bank, the 3 month rule showing that 400K minimum amount deposited 3 months prior to renewing will be strictly enforced.

This information was accurate 4 weeks ago and appears to be the extent of adjustments made to the “Marriage Visa” at this time.

Just to add in my own 25 satang.

I also went to Cambodia for an overland visarun. I have a 1 year non imm-B. Going out of Thailand was very fast as I was the only foreigner in the line. I spend a couple of hours in the casina's and actually won some money.

After this I went back into Thailand.

The line was very very very long. The immigration officers took their time questioning everyone arriving on a visa on arrival stamp (30 day). Even if it was their first like the Farang girl in front of me. Then I finally arrived at the window after an hour or so. The immigration officer looked at my visa, told me in Thai ..... thank god finally someone with a visa, took out her stamp and bang 90 days a friendly have a nice stay and I was on my way, 20 seconds tops (I always greet immigration offocers in Thai when I get at their counter, they like it when a farang speaks Thai it really works!).

The moral is please try to get a visa, I know it is hard sometimes but it really seems the 30 day stamps are out of vogue for now. Also if you have been staying here for a longer time, learn to speak Thai. And always be polite. So for in my almost 8 years in LOS I have always been lucky and have always had friendly immigration officers (me knocks on wood). Smile, wai and dress nicely.

Waerth

Cashe, was your number 1 stamp on or about the 17th of October?

The writing beneath - the first word is definitely 'remain' or 'left', the word after 11 looks a bit like 'day' so it seems to suggest that after the 4th of Jan that you have 11 days left before the 180 days 'holiday' or proper tourist visa.

Yes, it would be usefull to know the date of his first entry (after 1 october).

The "11 days left" note looks indeed to make sense.

Countdown has begun... I stick to a logical interpretation : how come a guy with a "tourist visa" would be less "tourist" than a guy with "visa exemption"... ?

They said it very clearly : you can't be a "tourist" in Thailand more than 6 month per year.

So, i still believe that 3x30 days of visa exemption + tourist visa, and "play it again sam" over and over, won't work.

No, you're wrong, it will work. The head of immigration in an interview last month in Farang magazine suggested that people who want to stay in Thailand indefinitely do exactly that: 3 X 30 day stays alternating with 60 day tourist visa + renewal, etc...

And the week before last, when I went to Suan Phlu to try to get a non-immigrant type O visa with a letter of invitation from a Thai organization affiliated with the US University I do work in Thailand for (it didn't work), two uniformed immigration officers said (in Thai) to me, "look, save yourself a lot of hassle and just do the 3 X 30 day stay thing alternating with tourist visas, that way you can stay in Thailand forever"...

this method of staying is not a scam some farangs cooked up, it's exactly what's being endorsed by Thai immigration officials.

preahko

Not really. IMHO (and experience) Thailand has the hardest (and def the most silliest/worst implemented) set of imi laws. All the visa/workpermit/reentry permit NONSENSE!

Give us a visa in the passport that acts as all three like all sensible countries ! Its only the sexpats (and young "year offer) types) that keep Thailand supplied with teachers really. Who else would put up with all this nonsense in sufficient numbers (and fish that had spouse visa problems :o )!

Edited by Nemo.

Visa Visa and Visa again well it sure seem like they are cutting themsleves in the foot with all the new regulations.

I reapply for my one year type" o" visa filled all the paper works as they suggested i ask them personally if they needed something else to be certain there will be no problem answer was no we have your file and will used the same as before..well guess what it was refuse as many other farang and they show me the list about 70 of us.

Reasons i didn't produce proof of income..i had a idea this would happen but i trusted the officials here in Nong Khai were i reside for the past 3 years everybody know me i do volunteer work play golf with the Governor and vice governor on a regular basis .

Now thye give me friday 7 days to produce the papers call the government of Quebec they send me a nice letter in French since it is the only French speaking province in Canada ( i suspect they will not understand and ask me to translate in Thai) also got a letter from my friend company in Toronto stating i do consulting work for him in Singapore and later in thailand when the office will be open here paiy me 1000 dollars canadian a month , plus a letter from my wife brother stating i invested money in the fish farm and get money every 4 months when fish are sold is this will be enought NOT SURE at all.

On top of all this since here in Nong Khai they are so Incompetant speak English a little but will never speak to you always to your Thai wife so you cannot understand , with about 50 stamps in front of them and they don't know witch one to use well they give me 7 days to do all the necessary including Saturday, Sunday,And Monday whom is a day off in Thailand leaving me with 3 days and i will have to go to Korat since apparently they will give it to me the same day we will see about this and if not well time to live this country once and for all ,really tired about stupid rules bad administration , etc etc etc

No western country ask for visa run when they accept you in their country and you marry a national but i supposed they have to pay theses Immigration officials salary and all the corruption whom go with it.Time to move to the Philippines or Vietnam.

Dan

If you do not have the 400K in the bank( as you had a extension of stay before Oct 1st) or your wife and you do not have a income of 40K per month. You still have available where you can get 60 day extension on the basis of visiting your wife. No income or funds are required and this will bide you more time, if you are going for the income option later when you re-apply for the extension of stay based on living with your wife.

Be aware if you do this, the money in the bank option will be forever gone except for changing from a tourist or tourist visa exemption 30 day stamp to a 90 day "O" visa.

If you are going with the income as you don't have the funds, tell the officer to look at the Police Order on visiting a Thai wife or child which gives you a 60 day extension.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hi

Wife had a look at it shes thinks it says ( yellow 11 2 ) so think its something for your visa class Jim...

Is she an immigration officer?

:D

same pro i had ..........

day, yellow, and boat in thai sound alike to me :o

Just to add in my own 25 satang.

I also went to Cambodia for an overland visarun. I have a 1 year non imm-B. Going out of Thailand was very fast as I was the only foreigner in the line. I spend a couple of hours in the casina's and actually won some money.

After this I went back into Thailand.

The line was very very very long. The immigration officers took their time questioning everyone arriving on a visa on arrival stamp (30 day). Even if it was their first like the Farang girl in front of me. Then I finally arrived at the window after an hour or so. The immigration officer looked at my visa, told me in Thai ..... thank god finally someone with a visa, took out her stamp and bang 90 days a friendly have a nice stay and I was on my way, 20 seconds tops (I always greet immigration offocers in Thai when I get at their counter, they like it when a farang speaks Thai it really works!).

The moral is please try to get a visa, I know it is hard sometimes but it really seems the 30 day stamps are out of vogue for now. Also if you have been staying here for a longer time, learn to speak Thai. And always be polite. So for in my almost 8 years in LOS I have always been lucky and have always had friendly immigration officers (me knocks on wood). Smile, wai and dress nicely.

Waerth

I really am surprised, especially at the new airport, that they have not introduced separate counters for those entrants with a visa and those without.

Too logical perhaps?

sorry guyz it was the visa class that was in red ink. i will edit the topic title if i could edit it.

i forgot to tell you that they have also written two number 20 on both page of my passport that has visa stamps.

here are the picts:

I usually sent passports for my friends to Europe. You will always get multiple entry visa with a year validity. No hassle no questions. The problem is mailing your passport. Another solution is simply requestingn a second passport. Almost all countries will issue a second or even third passport.

sorry guyz it was the visa class that was in red ink. i will edit the topic title if i could edit it.

i forgot to tell you that they have also written two number 20 on both page of my passport that has visa stamps.

here are the picts:

I usually sent passports for my friends to Europe. You will always get multiple entry visa with a year validity. No hassle no questions. The problem is mailing your passport. Another solution is simply requestingn a second passport. Almost all countries will issue a second or even third passport.

To get a second passport, don't you need to declare the first one lost or stolen?!

To get a second passport, don't you need to declare the first one lost or stolen?!

No not necessarily. When travelling to some countries, like Israel, other countries might refuse you entry with a stamp of that country in your passport. With this reason you can apply for a second passport. It is pretty normal for businessman travellin around in areas like the middle east.

Waerth

Maestro, you've summed it up nicely. Tourists have homes outside Thailand. Mine is only about a 78,000 baht round trip away. Well, with devaluation of the dollar, maybe 72,000 including air fare, lodging, visa purchase, Western food, etc.

And when I insisted on taking two weeks to make a visa run, my employer did not understand. As if they could imagine living 11 time zones from their loved ones; as if they would fly home without seeing family.

If I understand you correctly you have an employer, and worry about the tourist Visa?

Sounds to me, you're one of the reasons they tightened the law in the first place...

cashe stated that "they have also written two number 20 on both page of my passport that has visa stamps." and produced the image of the two stamps.

well, actually neither are 20's.

the 1st image actually shows 29 in red. i believe it is a flag by the officer to note that there are 29 days remaining (from Oct 6, 2006 to Jan 3, 2007). While Jan 4, 2007 is the d-day! you'd better be gone by then.

the 2nd image actually shows 30 in red. i think enough comments are made on this "visaclass" by folks on this forum already. i also confirm that the red writing under the stamp seems to say "11 days remaining".

good luck.

So, i still believe that 3x30 days of visa exemption + tourist visa, and "play it again sam" over and over, won't work.

No, you're wrong, it will work. The head of immigration in an interview last month in Farang magazine suggested that people who want to stay in Thailand indefinitely do exactly that: 3 X 30 day stays alternating with 60 day tourist visa + renewal, etc...

And the week before last, when I went to Suan Phlu to try to get a non-immigrant type O visa with a letter of invitation from a Thai organization affiliated with the US University I do work in Thailand for (it didn't work), two uniformed immigration officers said (in Thai) to me, "look, save yourself a lot of hassle and just do the 3 X 30 day stay thing alternating with tourist visas, that way you can stay in Thailand forever"...

this method of staying is not a scam some farangs cooked up, it's exactly what's being endorsed by Thai immigration officials.

preahko

I spoke to the guy that did the interview in Untamed Travel magazine on Tuesday. He believes that 3x30 VOA intermixed with 60 day tourist visas will allow you to stay in the country indefinately. But since 60 day tourist visas are discretionary, I would not wait until you've exhausted your 90 days with VOA before you go and apply for a tourist visa. I just got back from Hong Kong on a Visa run after my first 31 days in Thailand. It is the opinon of the HK Thai consulate that you are allowed to only stay in Thailand 90 days of any 180 day period regardless of whether or not you are on a Tourist visa or VOA. They told me it's all counted the same in their book. I applied for 3x60 day tourist visas (that I know you can get in the UK and Oz), but only got 1. Upon reentry into Thailand there were no notations on my passport as to remaining days or number of entries into Thailand. On my first entry into Thailand after Oct 1, on the 19th of Oct, I received a green #1 marking on the VOA. On my departure, there is also green markings and written in Thai it says stayed over by 1 day. So basically, I would say that you can stay in Thailand indefinately w/ mix of VOA and Tourist Visas, but it is discretionary. Look clean and sharp and don't go to Hong Kong for your visa run.

hi guys,

i just got back from cambodia for my 3rd visa run. it was successful but on my passport the number 3 on my 3rd stamp is in red ink which was not done before. plus they wrote something in thai underneath it. should i be bothered by this? i am going off to penang or kl next month to get a tourist visa. i hope the red ink will not cause me any problem in getting a tourist visa next month. what do u think? anybody had experience this?

This is normal. it been happening for more than a year, when ever you do go for Visa in Cambodia, they always put that red writing, means you can't return there any more to apply for Visa.

Edited by Justtaste