paint brand and supplier interior and exterior

notrub

We are happily getting to the stage of our new house construction where painting is on the list.  There are so many brands and every shop, big and small, sells it.  What is the best value quality/price please and is there a supplier better than the rest?   Thanks for any information about this.

That's about like asking what is the best breakfast.  IMO you should use the premium grade of whatever brand you decide and for me that would be TOA.  If you use Thai painters, make sure they prepare/clean the surface first.  Make sure they don't dilute the paint (although I dilute the primer by about 10%).  Make sure they put drip cloths down on anything not needing drips.  OTHERWISE THEY WILL just slop it on after diluting by 50% no matter what the grade of paint.

My preferred paint manufacturer in Thailand is Joton, international company with a excellent reputation world wide. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference where you buy the paint from, prices don't seem to vary that much.

15 minutes ago, CGW said:

My preferred paint manufacturer in Thailand is Joton, international company with a excellent reputation world wide. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference where you buy the paint from, prices don't seem to vary that much.

This is what I use. We use it offshore as well for painting stuff. Its the brand found on most ships in the paint locker. That could just mean its the cheapest available option but it holds up good. 

Indeed Jotun is a major maker of antifouling from supertankers down to my little wooden yacht back when.

However I've seen TOA exterior paint hold up really well indeed with no shade or shelter, interior too has excellent opacity and presume their oil paints are of a  similar standard.

we just had our house repainted after 8yrs.

the team that done it i consider the best team of workers that i have ever encounted.

the house was totally primed with toa alkali wet primer,

a toa acrylic wall sealant was used.

toa microkill [for fungus/mould.

and toa sheen supershield all around the house.

you have got to see their work and finnish to rearly appreciate it.

i did consider other brands but TOA came out best for our colour scheme.

ours is a big house originally 5bed.and the total cost of everything used around 60gallons of paint plus others 24,000bht.

doesnt include the labour 8days.team of 5.

53 minutes ago, Strange said:

This is what I use. We use it offshore as well for painting stuff. Its the brand found on most ships in the paint locker. That could just mean its the cheapest available option but it holds up good. 

I spent my working life as a offshore driller, having used Joton products extensively I have no problem recommending it, there are a lot of cheaper products on the market, worth paying a little more for something that will stay in place!

In my experience without having to stand watching the labour,  whatever pretty colour you choose just make sure you get all painted surfaces prepared and appropriately primed with a good quality primer and the correct amount coats of primer applied before letting them get there hands on any top finish products.

I recommend this advice because l was the first time of house painting forever going round the house touching up areas that they didn't bother treating correctly,  second time got it right. :thumbsup: 

22 hours ago, meatboy said:

we just had our house repainted after 8yrs.

the team that done it i consider the best team of workers that i have ever encounted.

the house was totally primed with toa alkali wet primer,

a toa acrylic wall sealant was used.

toa microkill [for fungus/mould.

and toa sheen supershield all around the house.

you have got to see their work and finnish to rearly appreciate it.

i did consider other brands but TOA came out best for our colour scheme.

ours is a big house originally 5bed.and the total cost of everything used around 60gallons of paint plus others 24,000bht.

doesnt include the labour 8days.team of 5.

Please tell me you live in Hua Hin/cha am area as I could really do with a good painter 

On 16/12/2559 at 11:57 AM, meatboy said:

one other thing,dont let the contractors give you a price ALL IN.

i live on a newly built mooban [8yrs old] i would guess that when the builders painted the house it was with toa 50% paint- 50%WATER.

one other tip NOTRUB make sure you get all inside walls PLASTERED.

otherwise like ours only cement walls that need priming [ours wernt] and at least 3coats of paint.

sorry AJ we are in korat.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:24 AM, AJBangkok said:

Please tell me you live in Hua Hin/cha am area as I could really do with a good painter 

im  a  really  good  painter.........................retired:tongue: and in your area, I  do  my own though, couldnt trust a local round here.

I find Thai paint  doesnt  cover that well even best brands. I used TOA inside and out, it takes 2  primers  full strength ( no need to thin) and 3  top coats for a decent finish

Edited by kannot

4 hours ago, kannot said:

im  a  really  good  painter.........................retired:tongue: and in your area, I  do  my own though, couldnt trust a local round here.

I find Thai paint  doesnt  cover that well even best brands. I used TOA inside and out, it takes 2  primers  full strength ( no need to thin) and 3  top coats for a decent finish

yes K our house inside and out had not one speck of primer and the walls had a rough finish.

even with a coating of TOA the painters had to use 6 gallons of TOA extraWET primer and 3 coats of TOA SUPERSHEILD with very little water.

I need a painter for the exterior only. I expect that's going to entail some drama as the house has some kind of rough coat paint on 2/3 of it and flaky primer on the rest of it .

For the interior I'm tiling every wall like below. They are 1m x 3m tiles, look great but totally impossible to justify if you were looking at comparing the payback of never having to paint your interior again.

IMG_0999.JPG

25 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

I need a painter for the exterior only. I expect that's going to entail some drama as the house has some kind of rough coat paint on 2/3 of it and flaky primer on the rest of it .

For the interior I'm tiling every wall like below. They are 1m x 3m tiles, look great but totally impossible to justify if you were looking at comparing the payback of never having to paint your interior again.

IMG_0999.JPG

must  be  fun getting  those  in:shock1: