Would like to start a "Anxiety and Depression Support Group in Chiang Mai"

inThailand1

Hello,
I have had trouble with major depression and self destructive behavior ever since I was a kid. Also trouble with drugs and alcoholism, but I don’t have a problem with that now. Help from support groups saved my life in the US when I was young. I am now 56 years old and live a simple and usually happy life in Chiang Mai, but depression still sneaks up and blindsides me, it seems to happen every week or two.

There doesn’t seem to be something like an Anxiety and Depression Support Group in Chiang Mai. If anyone knows of a group like this, that already exists, please let me know.

My initial thoughts on how to get a group like this started...
1. Find some friendly people that might feel that a group like this could bring more happiness or stability in their life.
2. Find a quiet place to meet. Maybe a room in a restaurant for coffee or lunch would be good.
3. Meet and talk about stuff that is causing stress, anxiety or depression. Also talk about what is helpful to you, and might be helpful to others. And remember, laughter is the best medicine. (friendly support, not advice). If you are in a crisis, seek professional help. Suan Prung Psychiatric Hospital, might be helpful.
4. Maybe plan some other activities. Physical activities like bike rides help me out of dark days, but I know bicycles are not for everyone.

If this kind of group interests you, please let me know.

Merry Christmas,
Thomas

Well you've already found an anxiety and depression group....I would be careful as you likely needed a statement from an MD that you were in good mental condition to get a visa...mental health issues are taboo here.  Dr. Panu is a Psychiatrist, who treats these conditions.  Pick up some meds and maybe ask him. 

I feel for you; I suffer from similar issues.  I am currently back in California.  My father is in hospice; he is dying.  I'll be back in Chiang Mai, Thailand in 2017.  Is Chiang Mai really that bad nowadays?  I've been traveling in South America the last two years; mostly Ecuador and Colombia.  I had to recover from Dengue Fever.  Take care..  All the best... 

1 hour ago, 212Roger said:

I feel for you; I suffer from similar issues.  I am currently back in California.  My father is in hospice; he is dying.  I'll be back in Chiang Mai, Thailand in 2017.  Is Chiang Mai really that bad nowadays?  I've been traveling in South America the last two years; mostly Ecuador and Colombia.  I had to recover from Dengue Fever.  Take care..  All the best... 

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Am wondering though why you ask " is CM that bad these days"? What makes you ask that. The OP doesn't mention about it being the problem. On the contrary, he says he has a happy life there. I think it's safe to say the problems the OP describes are an"inside job". As a recovered Alcoholic  myself, I know for sure the problem was not with the Alcohol (it can be a very good relaxent) the problem was within me.

1 hour ago, 212Roger said:

Thanks for your reply and sorry about your father, hope he is not suffering too much. When you are back in Chiang Mai, maybe our group will be started, if you have similar issues :)

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Am wondering though why you ask " is CM that bad these days"? What makes you ask that. The OP doesn't mention about it being the problem. On the contrary, he says he has a happy life there. I think it's safe to say the problems the OP describes are an"inside job". As a recovered Alcoholic  myself, I know for sure the problem was not with the Alcohol (it can be a very good relaxent) the problem was within me.

Yep, alcoholism is often just a symptom of deeper problems.

Chiang Mai really is wonderful, I guess the problem is I brought me with me. But lets not change this to a discussion about Chiang Mai :-)

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Well you've already found an anxiety and depression group....I would be careful as you likely needed a statement from an MD that you were in good mental condition to get a visa...mental health issues are taboo here.  Dr. Panu is a Psychiatrist, who treats these conditions.  Pick up some meds and maybe ask him. 

Interesting point "good mental condition to get a visa" to get a visa. If anyone has had to get a statement from a MD regarding mental health, please chime in. 

I hope you find a previous post I made on this topic interesting, or useful:

2015 post on depression

re Group: While I believe that "friendly ears" are a most powerful enabler of personal growth, support, psychological insights, emotional education ... even profound personal transformation ... the key, imho, for that to take place is an ambiance of deep trust, and the achievement of that with diverse (in every way) people usually takes skilled leadership, voluntary commitment by group members to "stick with the process" through what may be "dark periods."

I also believe that when you speak of "depression," you may also be speaking about "solitude" in the "spiritual sense" of that word:

"Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone, and the only one who seeks out another. His nature – if that word can be used in reference to man, who has 'invented' himself by saying 'no' to nature – consists in his longing to realize himself in another. Man is nostalgia and a search for communion. Therefore, when he is aware of himself he is aware of his lack of another, that is, of his solitude."  Octavio Paz

And I think you also speak of the mid-life/late-life journey into the "obscure forest," what Hermann Hesse called "morbio inferiore," perhaps also expressed in the way Dante begins the "Commedia" with:

Inferno, I, 1-3., Dante Alighieri, Divinia Commedia :

"Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
ché la diritta via era smarrita."

Orang's translation:  :)

Halfway down life's road traveled,
I lost Heart in a forest of shadows,
Lost all sense of what Life was for

best wishes from an often lost traveler, ~o:37;

51 minutes ago, wombat said:

seriously, you live in chiang mai with all that los has to offer and you are depressed? 

I respectfully suggest if you are going to comment about depression, why not take a few minutes to learn what it is? 

A change of scenery or being told to "snap out of it" doesn't help at all.  

1 hour ago, inThailand1 said:

Interesting point "good mental condition to get a visa" to get a visa. If anyone has had to get a statement from a MD regarding mental health, please chime in. 

medical clearance for O-A visa from Embassy in Washington DC.  The same one that asks about Elephantiasis and step III Syphilis.  That's a reason many opt to start with a 90 in Vientiane...An HMO might tell you 4-500 usd for the check.  County Health Clinics won't sign the form, they only give their own certificate of immunization.  And the form has to be signed and stamped by a licensed MD..http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/pdf/medical_certificate.pdf

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

I read your post with interest and i have to say that you have my upmost respect and sympathy.I have never suffered from depression,but years ago i met a girl(back in the Uk who did) i, regrettably,didnt understand the illness and for a time thought that she was,sometimes just a miserable bitch.It only hit home when she tried to commit suicide on two occasions over the ten hears i was with her.She once told me that she was a depressive,and that just because she had met me,didnt mean that the problem went away.I was under the impression that all she needed was a kick up the arse.How wrong i was.I have never suffered from depression and find it hard to equate with the problem but thats not to say that i dont know it is a real situation.Like you, the depression would creep up on her without warning.She went into a world where i couldnt reach her.Eventually,she went to live in the USA with her father (divorced from her mum,long ago)i heard from her some time later and that she was working in her dads travel agency.I wont go into the very bad times that happened between us,only you will know what i am talking about.I hate to admit it but i was relieved when she went.I'm ot being cruel,just honest.Through a family member of mine she got my email address and often emails me.She seems to chat ok on the screen,but i can detect a dark side that she cannot hide.I have refused to let her come over here to see me,as my Thai wife,would not understand her problem.I hope that you can make your group and help these poor souls who need a lot of patience and understanding.

I could not help her,and i regret not learning how to.

Good luck my friend.May all your days be bright ones.

2 hours ago, inThailand1 said:

Thanks for your reply and sorry about your father, hope he is not suffering too much. When you are back in Chiang Mai, maybe our group will be started, if you have similar issues :)

Thomas..your welcome to use my ladies' coffee shop/bakery (8-5pm)..left hand side BoSang 30m before PizzCompany..orange roof with bright yellow front..spacious and comfortable..mention my name 'Khun Rod'...hope your group eventuates...Merry Christmas.

Edited by tandor

42 minutes ago, tandor said:

Thomas..your welcome to use my ladies' coffee shop/bakery (8-5pm)..left hand side BoSang 30m before PizzCompany..orange roof with bright yellow front..spacious and comfortable..mention my name 'Khun Rod'...hope your group eventuates...Merry Christmas.

That sounds great. I tried to find it on a map and on your profile. Could you send a Google map, maybe in a message? I think url's are usually removed.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Anxiety and Depression ....

Take 2 to 5 mg of Lorazepam a day , problem solved .

No need for a support group.

Really? Take a drug that numbs your brain and the problem is solved? Its addictive, with dangerous side effects and most doctors would not prescribe it- certainly not long term. Yet, you talk like a doctor

How wonderful that you are here in the Land of Smiles. 

The first step in dealing with anxiety and depression are to actually fully experience them, as opposed to dwelling on them, complaining about them, and pushing them away.

You can take a Western approach (group counselling sessions or drugs) or you can try an Eastern approach (meditation and self-awareness). 

Lucky you!!!  Here you are surrounded by countless Eastern psychological organization who can assist you with addressing your anxiety and depression without 'indulging' in anxiety and depression. 

Some expats will espouse Western 'mental health' practices as the only way to go.  But I don't.  You'll be selling yourself short.

Look into meditation/insight-awareness groups in Chiang Mai. They are easily found.  Best of luck!

Edited by connda

26 minutes ago, connda said:

How wonderful that you are here in the Land of Smiles. 

The first step in dealing with anxiety and depression are to actually fully experience them, as opposed to dwelling on them, complaining about them, and pushing them away.

You can take a Western approach (group counselling sessions or drugs) or you can try an Eastern approach (meditation and self-awareness). 

Lucky you!!!  Here you are surrounded by countless Eastern psychological organization who can assist you with addressing your anxiety and depression without 'indulging' in anxiety and depression. 

Some expats will espouse Western 'mental health' practices as the only way to go.  But I don't.  You'll be selling yourself short.

Look into meditation/insight-awareness groups in Chiang Mai. They are easily found.  Best of luck!

Depression and Anxiety by Ajahn Brahm (don't get hung up that your psychotherapist wears orange and happens to be a monk).

17 minutes ago, connda said:

Depression and Anxiety by Ajahn Brahm (don't get hung up that your psychotherapist wears orange and happens to be a monk).

Feeling depressed and suffering a major depressive illness are miles apart.

But in hindsight, the OP is more about "feeling depressed and anxious" than being depressed, so this could indeed be benificial

Edited by happyas

4 hours ago, inThailand1 said:

He's just yanking your chain. There is no such thing.

6 minutes ago, happyas said:

Total rubbish.

Agree.. Not everyone responds to the same or sometimes any meds.. 

My mum is a sufferer.. Anxiety which then effects her life causing the depression.. Its a terrible thing and leaves you very powerless to assist. 

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Agree.. Not everyone responds to the same or sometimes any meds.. 

My mum is a sufferer.. Anxiety which then effects her life causing the depression.. Its a terrible thing and leaves you very powerless to assist. 

And also the side effects likely  if taking notice of <deleted> posted on this forum at times

Pre-existing depression may emerge or worsen during use of benzodiazepines including lorazepam. Ativan (lorazepam) is not recommended for use in patients with a primary depressive disorder or psychosis.