Huge police raid ends in embarrassment as Wat Dhammakaya spokesman not home

rooster59

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Ong-art is wanted for breaking the law under Article 116 of the criminal code.

I think a 116 case can be made against pretty much any Thai citizen, or foreigner, save the really young. Anyone complaining about anything: Thais queuing, holding a red bowl, weather, taxis, drivers, friends, TV shows, food prices, etc. could be construed to be causing a public problem.

Section 116 
Whoever makes an appearance to the public by words, writings or any other means which is 
not an act within the purpose of the Constitution or for expressing an honest opinion or 
criticism in order: 
(1) To bring about a change in the Laws of the Country or the Government by the 
use of force or violence; 
(2) To raise unrest and disaffection amongst the people in a manner likely to cause 
disturbance in the country; or 
(3) To cause the people to transgress the laws of the Country, shall be punished with 
imprisonment not exceeding seven years.

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Ong-art is wanted for breaking the law under Article 116 of the criminal code.

I think a 116 case can be made against pretty much any Thai citizen, or foreigner, save the really young. Anyone complaining about anything: Thais queuing, holding a red bowl, weather, taxis, drivers, friends, TV shows, food prices, etc. could be construed to be causing a public problem.

In other places it's called the ways and means act

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I dont think they expected him to be there anyway,maybe

the better just stick to the normal method, "Please report

to the station,by next tuesday ",

regards worgeordie

Or I'll tell your father when he gets home and he won't be happy.  That usually works. 

The usual way to conduct 'law and order' in Thailand.   First; tell the suspect across all Media channels you are 'thinking about', 'pondering', 'considering' etc etc', arresting him.   Second; make big noises about 'applying for an arrest warrant' and make sure everyone and his dog knows about it.  Third; actually turn up to arrest him knowing full well the bird will have flown.

Micky Mouse and his Disney pals could make a better job of running this country's affairs !

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The family lawyer was present to make sure that the search of the house was conducted in a legal manner. He had been instructed to be there by the father who seemed to be aware that the raiding party were on their way.

Search Warrant valid 14th to 16th December, as widely stated in the press, one would have to be extremely literate not to have read that one.

Not executed 14th nor 15th... sure bet it was going to be used on the 16th.:cheesy:

Wounder if a memo  has been sent to all airports saying if he turns up for as flight to Dubai they should pretend not to recognise him. 

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

During the raid voices cold be heard saying. "We're coming in room 203 in 5 minutes, there better not be anyone in there! We are going into 204 in just 5 more minutes, there better not be anyone in there!" and so on.

Why the room numbers? Is that significant?

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Key stone cops strike again  :cheesy::cheesy:

Somebody tipped them off that there was going to be a raid.

So wanted man legs it.

The RTP and DSI could not more stupid and inept if they tried.

Now come on, they did ask a few weeks ago for people stop laughing at them as it tarnishes their reputation

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What is the Thai word for "stake-out" ?  The junta's reputation is taking a beating.  They will have to arrest more red shirts to make up for it. 

I do not see the Junta as losing anything in this. Just the same as I do not see a word from Mr P regarding this. He has left this totally up to the RTP and DSI knowing that they would fail. And by doing so make complete fools of themselves. Which they have thus far.  Maybe just because he and some of his cronies are ........................

If that spaceship was a "Red" HQ they'd all be locked up in a day.

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Key stone cops strike again  :cheesy::cheesy:

Somebody tipped them off that there was going to be a raid.

So wanted man legs it.

The RTP and DSI could not more stupid and inept if they tried.

I dunno, give them a chance to out-dumb themselves. I have faith they will continue to raise the bar.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Now come on, they did ask a few weeks ago for people stop laughing at them as it tarnishes their reputation

:passifier: yes and be told off as Thai bashing and being a bad expat for laughing at these fools in authority 

Edited by DaveE13

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This is posturing.

The police were not inept or clueless. One side in this battle over assets and power was saying to the other side, "Look, we were able to obtain a search warrant and search the house of your spokesman's family and you were not able to pull strings to stop it. Next time we will hit harder. Come to the table and compromise. Give us something we want. We are more powerful than you."

This was a threat, a choreographed display of power, not a real attempt to arrest anybody.

15 hours ago, Thailand said:

Thais would never knowingly lose face like this, major very red ones and some inactive posts coming up from another cock up related to this case alone.

15 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Seriously? This case and the ongoing saga of the Wat raid are merely the result of total and endemic incompetence in the Thai police, and not even the slightest hint of collusion and corruption?  Hard to believe that any police force, even in the third world, could be such a joke. But then they have had a lot of practice.

I think that something a bit more than obvious ineptness is going on here. Briggsy makes sense to me.

There are little things that I understand about Thailand, but issues like this are far beyond me to understand everything at play.