Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

12 minutes ago, steve187 said:

well at least that makes it clear. whats next i wonder

The regulation was approved on May 26 of this year and they just published it this month If anything else was to come it would of been done already.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Travill said:

just to understand this rule : it is for people that have enter Thailand without getting visa.in other words those that arrive without visa.

but those how have enter Thailand with  a visa can still do more than 2 border runs per year ?

Yes, it only affects people under visa exempt

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They clearly have too many tourists.

I know of a few people who travel to Thailand 3 or 4 times each year for short breaks, they're not going to get visas for this, they will just go elsewhere.

Edit : If it's only land border crossings then it won't make much of a difference.

1 minute ago, JB300 said:

And only at Land Borders.

We'll at least I hope it's only at land borders!!! I'm from the UK but live in Singapore & visit Thailand 6-8 times a year so a clamp down on Visa Exempts at the airport would soon put a stop to that.

No way am I messing around going to the Thai Embassy for an SETV just to have a long weekend trip.

It'll probably depend on the mood of the officer at the airport... and whether he's just been transferred from a border crossing point, with no training! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jpinx said:

There appears to be an exemption for Malaysian passport holders, and maybe other local countries as may be specified.  There's going to be a lot of worried Philippina teachers,,,,,,,,

If that were the case (teachers), then it would be addressing part of the problem that likely brought these sort of restrictions about in the first place.

IMO, that alone, would in some way justify these restrictions. It will however banish a group of tourists that would base themselves here, travelling by land to surrounding countries. Looks like they will have to either base themselves elsewhere or become flight orientated back packers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jpinx said:

There appears to be an exemption for Malaysian passport holders, and maybe other local countries as may be specified.  There's going to be a lot of worried Philippina teachers,,,,,,,,

It will apply to those from those from Philippines since the are under the visa exempt ministerial regulation. Those that get the visa exempt entry from a bilateral agreement should not be effected. For example Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

• Like 1

From my understanding crossing at a land border was only good for a 14 day visa exempt stamp, or is it 15 days, I can't remember. If you cross at say Vientaine to go get a tourist visa, you shouldn't be affected, if you qualify for the visa. If you are a backpacker crossing to go to another country more than two times on your trip then you are in trouble if you can not qualify financially for a tourist visa. I am not sure what the consequences will be if you have a plane ticket flying out of Bangkok, and you have crossed  the land borders more than two times. That one will be interesting, especially if they can not qualify for a tourist visa to get back in the country.

• Like 1