Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For people arriving by air who intend to spend maybe 2 or 3 months here and use Thailand as a base for travel around neighbouring countries the SETV and multi re-entry 'should' be the solution or will the 2 border crossing rule still be applied?

However, how many of them will be aware or will be made aware of the requirements?

Those are ones that will get caught out by it.

Years ago the old fashioned up to speed travel agent in the office would have the info for you but now flights are booked on line so I doubt if people even think about it now.

Also fairly sure that they won't be informed when they fly in or do the first border crossing.

Will all the DNs be packing up and moving to Cambodia?

As has been said several times in this topic it is only for visa exempt entries. If a person has valid visa for entry to the country it certainly will not apply to them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As has been said several times in this topic it is only for visa exempt entries. If a person has valid visa for entry to the country it certainly will not apply to them.

Arriving by air with an SETV and then doing border crossings with a multi re-entry permit 'should' cover the situation.

However, it is entirely possible the IO at the border 'may' put his own interpretation into effect.

Poipet at the moment being the perfect example.

21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Arriving by air with an SETV and then doing border crossings with a multi re-entry permit 'should' cover the situation.

However, it is entirely possible the IO at the border 'may' put his own interpretation into effect.

Poipet at the moment being the perfect example.

The officer at the desk stamping people in does not make the decision to deny a person entry it is done by a higher ranking officer.

Perhaps it will actually make things better a Poi Pet since they may not be as busy as they are now.

36 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Last time I used Poipet for an in-out was August and the upstairs stamp out was empty.

Absolutely no queue on the way in either.

Left Patts at 5.30am and was back having a beer at 2.30pm. Driving myself, no minivan terror.

Why are you going to Poi Pet from Pattaya. Ban Pakard is closer and much better than Poi Pet.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Why are you going to Poi Pet from Pattaya. Ban Pakard is closer and much better than Poi Pet.

Just habit I suppose. Maybe once or twice a year for quite a while and strangely enough I used to enjoy the drive.

Now we just FIFO for three days somewhere.

All the recent changes seem to be making it harder for those trying to stay here for extended periods on a tight budget. This change only applies to land crossings, multi entry visas are only available from home country, consulates in the region cracking down, people getting grilled, etc.

The well off, conversely, are being given additional visa options - new Thai Elite 20 year visa, new 10 year retirement visas and the like.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Care to share the URL of where you can get a Tourist Visa for Thailand online, without having to (as a minimum) post your passport to the Embassy?

He was not writing about visas for Thailand. It was about visas for other countries (Myanmar for example).

16 hours ago, Travill said:

just to understand this rule : it is for people that have enter Thailand without getting visa.in other words those that arrive without visa.

but those how have enter Thailand with  a visa can still do more than 2 border runs per year ?

Yes, but acquiring a visa before entering the Kingdom doesn't guarantee entry. The final decision rests with the IO at the border (or airport), someone surmised that this is because overseas Thai consulates & embassies don't have full online access to immigration, police records, etc....

I think this is more to do with people working on tourist visas and doing visa-runs.

11 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I think this is more to do with people working on tourist visas and doing visa-runs.

I think it primarily relates to those arriving with Visa Exemptions and doing visa runs (not those with Tourist visas). 

I believe (could be wrong) those with Tourist visas should be fine. 

15 minutes ago, griedarw said:

I think it primarily relates to those arriving with Visa Exemptions and doing visa runs (not those with Tourist visas). 

Yes on the one hand thats technically true.. On the other hand even getting those tourist visas is becoming a difficult process, especially in surrounding countries. Multiple entries effectively phased out and many locations reporting 'too many stamps' all too often. 

17 minutes ago, griedarw said:

Arriving with a tourist visa should be fine as you say, 60 days on arrival and can be extended by another 30 I believe.

Arriving without at the airport get 30 days then max two border runs gets you another two 30 day entries.

In that calander year you will not be allowed to do any more border hops but should be ok entering again by land with a visa.

Edited by overherebc

17 hours ago, Suttisan said:

Fair enough,  2 x 2 months is more than enough time for seeing Thailand. Just out of interest are tourist visas multiple entry? 

"more than enough time for seeing Thailand"? Some of these people could have Thai G/Fs and are earning outside Thailand,

and you think that's "more than enough time for seeing Thailand"??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Rules are all well and good, its the on the ground enforcement of the rules, in a clear and consistent manner, which never seems to happen

I don't think it could be any clearer than what the orders states,

Those who enter the Kingdom temporarily for tourism in accordance with
Paragraphs 3 by crossing Immigration check points at land borders are entitled to
enter the Kingdom in this way no more than two times per calendar year

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty I would reckon that 'genuine' tourists come to Thailand for 2 to 3 weeks a year, maybe 4 and some may come twice and this will have no impact on them in any way.

We are all aware that 99% of people now are being asked to show a visa prior to boarding for a flight to Thailand. Is that any different to my wife needing a visa to go to UK on holiday with me for a fortnight. Let's face it, she couldn't do border runs to France monthly and stay as long as she wanted.

If it impacts on some teachers who may be unqualified etc and use border hops to keep going and have to leave next year then maybe, just maybe it might change the attitude of the schools that hire them. We all live in hope I suppose.

Quite how it will affect the digital nomads who will convince you they make mega-bucks I don't know.

Maybe they will have to bite the bullet and pay for the Elite Visa?

"Maybe they will have to bite the bullet and pay for the Elite Visa". I think that is exactly what the Thai government wants, only the really well off people, 

and to hell with the others, a lot of these "others" have bought houses and land in girlfriends names long before these recent visa changes.

48 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but acquiring a visa before entering the Kingdom doesn't guarantee entry. The final decision rests with the IO at the border (or airport), someone surmised that this is because overseas Thai consulates & embassies don't have full online access to immigration, police records, etc....

Sure, but if obtaining a visa only were to entitle the traveller to play immigration roulette at the border, it would be a complete nightmare for everyone, especially for those flying intercontinental.

If Embassies can't do the job of vetting properly, then what is the bloody point of the tourist visa system - they might as well just charge at the border and have Immigration do all the vetting there in that case.

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Could it be that jet-setters are not really the kind of people who like to be crammed inside an overloaded mini-van to do a border run every 30 days?

Maybe, just maybe they have visas, flights etc all sorted before they go anywhere on holiday.

Anyway the main point of this new rule/law just means that Thailand is only getting itself onto a par, visa wise, with many other countries. IMHO.

SWMBO and self do a fair bit of travelling and it really is not that difficult to sort out visas etc before each holiday.

What is SWMBO? Do you have to be so lazy with your keyboards?

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

I reckon that outside the TV members who regularly read/post etc quite a few who will be unaware of this are going to get caught out by it.

Does it mean they will not be allowed to leave by land and forced into overstay or be allowed to leave and then refused entry.

You mean you think it is possible for Thailand to treat their "guests" in this manner? Tut tut.

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

Interesting points. One of the main stumbling blocks is the understanding of the rules by other countries based on the updated information they are given.

I would make a good guess that a lot of it comes from lack of information  passed to bordering countries or problems in translation in the process. Think of 'should' and 'shall'

I would reckon that visa requirement changes in most countries are widely broadcast and don't change yearly or monthly.

However I believe it is still the responsibility of the traveller to make themselves aware of the requirements prior to travelling.

"However I believe it is still the responsibility of the traveller to make themselves aware of the requirements prior to travelling".

This is Thailand. Immigration officers and their moods and bad hair days have to be taken into consideration.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

Honestly don't know if they have to show passport  and get a visa exempt or show ID and get a 'pass' really!!

If it's a visa exempt then yes that will have an impact.

Border passes are limited to border markets right next to the immigration checkpoint, not further. For example, the Roing Klua market in Aranyaprathet. Cannot go into the town. The only people those passes are useful for are the traders who work in the border market.

There is a separate system which provides a special yellow card that allows migrant laborers to work in adjacent province for 1 week at a time only. Limited to residents of certain areas in Camb and for work only in a few provinces in Thailand, and within 7 days must retrun. Not really suitable for the middle class shoppers nor the many Cambodians who get health care in Thailand.

One would have thought that the bi-lateral agreement would take precedence but since the regulation mentions only Malaysia as an exception this seems not to be  the case.

It's of considerable concern to me as I have an adopted Cambodian family who often come to visit (4-6 times a year); my sister will be having cataract surgery in Thailand next year which will involve at least 4  trips just for that (one eye at a time, and the follow-ups). I have a Cambodian guard/gardener whose wife often visits, and whom I will have trouble retaining if she no longer can.  Huge hassles. :saai:  So really need to know if this applies to Cambodian nationals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, griedarw said:

Flying in for visa runs won't help either. I have been flying to Burma &  back for my visa runs for the last year.  Worked great initially but got flagged at the airport on my last run.  Was told that I had stayed in Thailand for too long without a proper visa (I had visa exemption each time). 

She demanded that I make hotel bookings and book an exit flight before she would let me through  Immigration.  I also had to show 20K cash (she wouldn't let me go to an ATM though!!). 

I explained I owned property In Bangkok so didn't need a hotel.  She didn't care,  her interpretation of the law is that "real" tourists need hotels &  return flight out of Thailand. Anyone that doesn't have that needs a non O or non B. 

Nightmare. Took ages to get sorted before she would let me go. 

I wasnt the only one,  the immigration office was full of expats in the same position as me. Most of whom had been coming to Thailand for years.  

That is exactly what I mean when I remarked about Immigration officers, their moods, and bad hair days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, griedarw said:

Flying in for visa runs won't help either. I have been flying to Burma &  back for my visa runs for the last year.  Worked great initially but got flagged at the airport on my last run.  Was told that I had stayed in Thailand for too long without a proper visa (I had visa exemption each time). 

She demanded that I make hotel bookings and book an exit flight before she would let me through  Immigration.  I also had to show 20K cash (she wouldn't let me go to an ATM though!!). 

I explained I owned property In Bangkok so didn't need a hotel.  She didn't care,  her interpretation of the law is that "real" tourists need hotels &  return flight out of Thailand. Anyone that doesn't have that needs a non O or non B. 

Nightmare. Took ages to get sorted before she would let me go. 

I wasnt the only one,  the immigration office was full of expats in the same position as me. Most of whom had been coming to Thailand for years.  

The Visa Exempt scheme is for short-term tourists, not longer-stayers.  That has been policy for some time now.  The only change is they have at least one "rule" that is published about where the limit is - but only for land-borders.  You are still playing Lotto with your life/money at the airport.

Sorry to hear of what sounds like a really stressful day, but let this be a warning that everyone coming in for more than one short trip per year should bring proof of your residence, income-source, and 20K Baht worth of cash or traveler's checks - even if using Tourist Visas.

2 minutes ago, Took said:

Hello,

Will those who are staying in Cambodia on a multiple-entry visa and want to 

leave for Thailand by land and get back to Cambodia be affected by this new 

regulation as well?

It appears you can only do this twice per year, now.  Other visits will require playing immigration-roulette at the airport.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One would have thought that the bi-lateral agreement would take precedence but since the regulation mentions only Malaysia as an exception this seems not to be  the case.

Bilateral agreement entries are not effected by this since they do not fall under the ministerial regulations for visa exempt entries. That is also why they cannot get the 30 day extension of their entries.

Malaysians get a standard visa exempt entry and is mentioned because it is a neighboring country. They also get a 30 entry at the Malaysian border. They only get 15 days at other crossings.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It appears you can only do this twice per year, now.  Other visits will require playing immigration-roulette at the airport.

I would say it's intended to apply to leaving and returning to Thailand.

I am not aware of any restrictions on entry to neighbouring countries.

However for expats who decide to live in Cambodia say then it looks like they will only be allowed two visa exempt land entries per calander year into Thailand.