Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

9 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I think you absolutely right.  The changes to immigration policy by this government need to viewed as a whole. They talk about "Good guys in, bad guys out" and they seem to be quite serious about this.  As soon as they came to power they began streamlining the processes for permanent residence and citizenship applications which had become horribly run down under successive corrupt civilian administrations that refused to sign anything they didn't get paid for.  Hundreds of people have now been approved for both under this government and the processes which had been taking many years is now far quicker and more transparent. 

They view people living virtually full time in Thailand on visa exemptions or tourist visas as "bad guys" and we have to admit that a small minority are indeed criminals, while many more are working illegally in Thailand.  Even the computer nomads are working illegally and not paying Thai tax.  I am not saying that I fully agree with this policy but I do understand the logic of it from the government's perspective and how it fits into their overall view of immigration policies which is not all repressive.

Totally agree.

In the long run it will improve as more understanding of the situation becomes clearer.

Let's face it ignorance or disregard, because of a belief of self importance of the law, is no excuse in any country.

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

A bunch of "digital nomads" just had their plans foiled. Also it will adversely affect legit tourists who visit neighbouring countries and then wish to re-enter Thailand 2-3 times during their travels. 

I think most visitors who work online here for most of the year are clued-in enough to get tourist-visas, by now, given it was already a risky-bet to try coming in Visa Exempt over and over.  To the extent this has an effect on online-workers, It will disproportionately effect those in Chang Mai, who are furthest from nearby consulates.

Other tourists traveling in and out frequently (backpackers using Thailand as a base) will have to start using flights and/or re-entry permits - carefully planning their dates to make it work - or get multi-entry tourist visas in advance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It will apply to those from those from Philippines since the are under the visa exempt ministerial regulation. Those that get the visa exempt entry from a bilateral agreement should not be effected. For example Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

Do you have any idea why Hong Kong and Vietnam are listed under 30 days (Ordinary passport) and under bilateral agreement (Ordinary passport) 30-day categories? What's the difference between "tourist exemption scheme" and "bilateral agreement" if the length of stay is the same (30 days)?

4 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

A bunch of "digital nomads" just had their plans foiled. Also it will adversely affect legit tourists who visit neighbouring countries and then wish to re-enter Thailand 2-3 times during their travels. 

Yeah, a bit tricky for someone who wanted to visit Malaysia, Lao and Cambodia. They'll just have to get a METV.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"citizens of other countries, as specified by the minister."

I can't see how they can apply this to citizens of Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia - currently quite common for those living near the border to hop over for a weekend of shopping. I know many Cambodians living in the Battambang area do so at least once a month; on weekends in Aranyaprathet the local Tesco is filled to the brim with nothing but Cambodians. And residents in and around Ventiane certainly go in and out of Thailand for shopping very routinely as well.

Huge loss of revenue for Thailand if they stop that, and hardly consistent with the spirit of ASEAN.

Honestly don't know if they have to show passport  and get a visa exempt or show ID and get a 'pass' really!!

If it's a visa exempt then yes that will have an impact.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I can't see how they can apply this to citizens of Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia - currently quite common for those living near the border to hop over for a weekend of shopping. I know many Cambodians living in the Battambang area do so at least once a month; on weekends in Aranyaprathet the local Tesco is filled to the brim with nothing but Cambodians. And residents in and around Ventiane certainly go in and out of Thailand for shopping very routinely as well.

Huge loss of revenue for Thailand if they stop that, and hardly consistent with the spirit of ASEAN.

They get "border passes" - no?

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Brings back memories of the Bojolus Nuvo in the e-type.

Sorry off topic. The Bacardi and Coke is kicking in.?

Bed now.

Good night to all.

Edited by overherebc

58 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Laos and Cambodia have bilateral agreements with Thailand so this change to the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme shouldn't apply to them. Myanmar doesn't have an agreement and doesn't qualify for visa exempt entry anyway.

Their are no mote double or triple entry Tourist visas since November  2015.

They were replaced by the Multiple Entry Toutist Visa.

In most countries you can not get that visa unles you are a national of that country or a verified residnt in that country.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
corect typos
  • Like 1

Are ASEAN "exemptions' included,, like Laos who can enter without  visa (30 day on arrival)all year round?

If so, bad news for Vientiane shoppers in NongKhai or any other border towns.

Wait and see....

• Like 1

If they implement this the big change in terms of numbers might be to the foreign workers from surrounding countries, like Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, unless ASEAN means they are ok. They often can't afford to fly in. Maybe they are the Government's real target. An obvious next step would be to extend it to flight arrivals, forcing some visitors to pay for visas. 

Edited by zxzoomy

12 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

If they implement this the big change in terms of numbers might be to the foreign workers from surrounding countries, like Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos, unless ASEAN means they are ok. They often can't afford to fly in. Maybe they are the Government's real target. An obvious next step would be to extend it to flight arrivals, forcing some visitors to pay for visas. 

And numbers of visits allowed per year for tourists. Whit this group in charge anything can happen here.  

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Example

I like to fly to Thailand for the temples, beach, fun, girls or whatever.
As an European I can enter without a visa and get a 30 day stamp at the airport.
So my planned stays 2017 with flying in and out to Thailand would be February 3 weeks, April 3 weeks, July 3 weeks, September 2 weeks and December 3 weeks.
A visa is then not necessary at all.

And this would not be longer possible?
I can not believe that.

Would still be possible, unless you plan to enter via land.

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

When I think about it yes, never been asked in Singers or HCMC. But for sure EU airports, for me mostly Aberdeen, Heathrow and Aukland have always asked.

Anyway I suppose the topic is land crossings.

We are not really on topic.?

Came back from Aukland last month and my 10th or 12th non O multi had expired 4 days before the flight date. They called a supervisor, we had a chat and he allowed me to board after seeing my previous visas i the passport.

Maybe there's a correlation between the greater distance and higher cost of an airline-funded repatriation if/when Thai Immigration decides not to permit a passenger entry? It's relatively easy for a carrier to 'write off' the time and cost of a regional, one or two hour flight versus an intercontinental flight in excess of about 17 hours? By the same token, I doubt that this "2 strikes and your are out" policy would be extended to air travelers since the mayhem it would cause at airport check-ins world wide would probably be quite significant even if they managed to get check-in staff quite adept at checking stamps in travelers passports.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Lufthansa made me sign something stating that I would be responsible for the cost f the return flight if I was denied entry...for whatever reason...and then my visa was checked at check in.  The form was first in 19 years..so apparently the airlines are tired of getting stiffed because Officer Somsuk is having a bad hair day and doesn't like dirty trashpackers.

It would seem they already have a mechanism in place that obviates the need for their check-in staff to thoroughly vet the travelers prior Thailand travel history and move the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the traveler. Makes perfect sense really.

Could it be that jet-setters are not really the kind of people who like to be crammed inside an overloaded mini-van to do a border run every 30 days?

Maybe, just maybe they have visas, flights etc all sorted before they go anywhere on holiday.

Anyway the main point of this new rule/law just means that Thailand is only getting itself onto a par, visa wise, with many other countries. IMHO.

SWMBO and self do a fair bit of travelling and it really is not that difficult to sort out visas etc before each holiday.

So if you & SWMBO we're going on a 3-day weekend trip you'd be happy to spend a day at the Embassy sorting a visa out?

Maybe if like Vietnam (& Australia) where you can do it all online or Cambodia (used to be the same in Indonesia) where you can do it on arrival but no way would I do it if I had to attend an Embassy in person.

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

As it stands now it's still possible but on arrival I would have 20,000 baht in my pocket, a return ticket, hotel booking confirmation etc to show as requested.

Similar to what my wife has to show on arrival in UK when we go on a Cathedral and Museum tour.

??????

Nearly forgot, also a valid visa in her passport.

Really my wife has no such things.. Never had such things.. and never been asked for them..

Last time she flew in alone (I was meeting her) she didnt even have the uk address she was going to ( was waiting).. Which caused a minor stress at immigration, and her phone wasnt roaming.. They just stamped her through anyway.. 

This fortress england so many seem to paint is mostly fictional IMO.. Shes gone there so many times now tourist visa apps are routine.. Next time going to ask for a 5 year.. Thailand offering those ?? 

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Do you have any idea why Hong Kong and Vietnam are listed under 30 days (Ordinary passport) and under bilateral agreement (Ordinary passport) 30-day categories? What's the difference between "tourist exemption scheme" and "bilateral agreement" if the length of stay is the same (30 days)?

Just a guess but the tourist exemption scheme probably is a 'one-way' option that only applies to nationality of the person visiting whereas the bilateral agreement applies equally to both nationalities visiting each others countries?

8 hours ago, Arkady said:

From the wording of this ministerial regulation it is very clear that it only applies to visa exemptions at land border crossings.  Those coming frequently for short stays by air have nothing to worry about.  Legit tourists planning an extended trip to Thailand involving more than 2 land crossings into Thailand can get multiple re-entry tourist visas in their home countries before departure.  When a 3 or 6 month METV has expired, the holder should still be entitled to two visa exempt land border entries into Thailand in the same year.  That should cover the needs of virtually every legit tourist.  Those that don't want to apply for a tourist visa can still arrive in Thailand by air, stay for 30 days and come back twice more overland for 30 days and if their trip is over New Year, they can come back overland two more times.  In the worst case, they can fly back to Thailand from a neighbouring country and get another visa exempt entry.  The only problems for tourists are likely to be as a result of not being informed about the new regulations when planning their trips.

You seem to assume 'legit tourists' (whatever those may be) only ever come from their passport issuing country. 

You also assume that 3x 30 day entries are tolerated if the first one is by air.. I would hold fire on that judgement, I would guess stamp = stamp in that case of serial use. 

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Their are no mote double or triple entry Tourist visas since November  2015.

They were replaced by the Multiple Entry Toutist Visa.

In most countries you can not get that visa unles you are a national of that country or a verified residnt in that country.

Add in that it is becoming increasing difficult to gain a multiple entry non immigrant visa, even in home countries to people who would qualify. 

4 hours ago, amjamj said:

But what is the problem ? Some people in this world really don't have enough money to buy a return air asia flight ?

Part of the problem is, despite this clearly stating land borders, we all know the consistency and reliability of immigrations enforcement.. 

Once you get a 'last time' stamp at the border.. Will airline staff then shrug and say OK ?? How long does that 'last time' stay that way ?? Etc etc etc etc

Flying in for visa runs won't help either. I have been flying to Burma &  back for my visa runs for the last year.  Worked great initially but got flagged at the airport on my last run.  Was told that I had stayed in Thailand for too long without a proper visa (I had visa exemption each time). 

She demanded that I make hotel bookings and book an exit flight before she would let me through  Immigration.  I also had to show 20K cash (she wouldn't let me go to an ATM though!!). 

I explained I owned property In Bangkok so didn't need a hotel.  She didn't care,  her interpretation of the law is that "real" tourists need hotels &  return flight out of Thailand. Anyone that doesn't have that needs a non O or non B. 

Nightmare. Took ages to get sorted before she would let me go. 

I wasnt the only one,  the immigration office was full of expats in the same position as me. Most of whom had been coming to Thailand for years.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

People from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar (by air only) and Vietnam get their entries from a bilateral agreement with Thailand and will not be effected by this change since they are not under the visa exempt scheme.

• Like 2

For people arriving by air who intend to spend maybe 2 or 3 months here and use Thailand as a base for travel around neighbouring countries the SETV and multi re-entry 'should' be the solution or will the 2 border crossing rule still be applied?

However, how many of them will be aware or will be made aware of the requirements?

Those are ones that will get caught out by it.

Years ago the old fashioned up to speed travel agent in the office would have the info for you but now flights are booked on line so I doubt if people even think about it now.

Also fairly sure that they won't be informed when they fly in or do the first border crossing.

Will all the DNs be packing up and moving to Cambodia?

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

So if you & SWMBO we're going on a 3-day weekend trip you'd be happy to spend a day at the Embassy sorting a visa out?

Maybe if like Vietnam (& Australia) where you can do it all online or Cambodia (used to be the same in Indonesia) where you can do it on arrival but no way would I do it if I had to attend an Embassy in person.

As we always fly, never go overland, then online visas are easy.