Taking your own beer into a bar?

cheapskatesam

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you do it, though- look real carefully for the little sign that says "we charge a 300 baht corkage fee for any outside alcohol consumed in the restaurant".

The hotel in Jomtien where I stay has signs to that affect.  Not those exact words, but they are real clear.

Solution 1: If you are home when you open your beer you drink it up before you go out, and don´t forget to put the empty bottle in an environment safe place. Don´t litter!

Solution 2: If you buy a beer in another bar, why just not drink it up before you finish and go to the next bar? Here you have the upper advantage and never have do deal with taking good and responsible care of the empty bottles.

Solution 3: If you by any chance don´t understand Solution 1 or Solution 2, please stop drink beer and happily continue with the domestic rice whiskey (Lao Khao)

Seriously! Why would you ask a question like this? Why would anybody want to walk around with a beer bottle drinking outside while walking the streets?

Edited by Get Real

For example say.. you've got a beer in your hand and 3 quarters full is it acceptable to walk into a beer bar and order a beer from there as well? So you effectively have 2 beers at your table.. the one you brought in and the one you ordered? 

It depends on how you define acceptable. In my opinion the only way it would be appropriate, is if you ask the staff before you sit down if you can finish your beer there for a corkage fee. May cost you up to 30 baht or so, I guess, but most often they will not charge you for it if you sit down and order a few beers there.

Apart from that, the most appropriate thing would be to finish the beer before entering the bar, which for most experienced beer drinkers won't take very long.

US. Servicemen do it all the time, buy their beer from 7/11 and take it into a bar. I saw that happen once when the fleet was in, a crowd of Yanks walked into a go go bar in Walking Street, the boss was English and he promptly threw them all out.

Whilst your there with a beer you haven't bought in that bar why not ask a lady if you can have a freebie for the night then get her to pay for m/c taxi home and charge her one night's rent. What was it you said in another post only lasted 3 weeks here that suprised me I would have thought two days max with your attitude.

We had 2 bars in Patts over the years,and,sorry gentlemen, but the only beer drunk in our bars were the ones that we sold.If a guy walked in with a beer from elsewhere(which never actually happened) he would have been asked where he bought it (with a smile) and when he told us,he would have been told to go back and finish it there(again with a smile).We had some indian guys once who came in and wanted to drink their own whisky."yeah,sure,but you gotta pay 600 baht corkage,the mixers are 50 baht each and ice is 50 baht a small bucket." They didnt stay. Then we had some muslims,yes! muslims who wanted to but one water and share it between 4 and play pool for free. Told them that we were in the business of selling booze to people who wanted to drink.The water became 250 a bottle and the pool became 100 baht a game.Surprisingly they anti'd up and all bought beer and had a good night.

The only way i would have allowed a guy in with his own beer,is if he had seen one of our girls in the bar and decided to come in,but he would have to buy the girl a drink before he finished his own.

There are so many cheapskates in Patts that do try it on,some just take the piss.

I have had a guy who nursed one beer for an hour,so my wife sent our ladyboy 'hostess' over to him. The beer quickly magically  disappeared and so did he.

But seriously,it's not done to take or drink your own alcohol in another bar,owners dont like it and nor do the staff.If you live in Patts,and dont know that,then you are looking to be cheap,or looking for a thick ear.