Govt threatens action over protests against new cyber law

webfact

Govt threatens action over protests against new cyber law
By THE NATION

san.jpg

Sansern

BANGKOK: -- GOVERNMENT Spokesperson Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd warned yesterday that protests against the newly amended Computer Crime Act could be deemed illegal and stir unnecessary conflicts in the country.

“Authorities have measures, should there be any actions, from video recording to prosecuting following international rules,” Sansern said. “Any tentative participants should think twice or stop such acts.”

Meanwhile, operators of the Facebook page “Single Gateway: Thailand Internet Firewall #opsinglegateway”, which has attracted more than 120,000 likes, claimed to have attacked several government websites to express anger at the junta-appointed National Legislative Assembly (NLA)’s backing for the contentious act last Friday.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302379

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-19

I know his job is to spin, and present a positive image of the actions the govt does, but I can't ever remember a time when anything this Sanserm guy has been even remotely credible or close to being honest. It gets old, and it is a sad indictment of the state of the RTA when a guy as seemingly stupid and disingenuous as this has a rank of lieutenant general. The mind boggles

5 minutes ago, z42 said:

I know his job is to spin, and present a positive image of the actions the govt does, but I can't ever remember a time when anything this Sanserm guy has been even remotely credible or close to being honest. It gets old, and it is a sad indictment of the state of the RTA when a guy as seemingly stupid and disingenuous as this has a rank of lieutenant general. The mind boggles

His rank bought and paid for same as humtpy Dumpty the brave DPM

5 minutes ago, z42 said:

I could be wrong and welcome being corrected but at the time of the coup wasn't he a Colonel, not sure if a ' full ' one or not ?

If so getting to Lt. Gen. in a couple of years might be seen seen as a meteoritic rise but the way things work here it needn't come as a surprise.

Cyber crime is not as much of a problem in Thailand as meth amphetamines and rice whisky are.

Why not focus in the real problems?

There's no tax on cyber crime I understand that, but there's also pretty much zero cyber criminals chopping and shooting each other up.

The word priority I guess has no translation or understanding in the Thai language.

So much for the new charter granting individual rights, including the right to free speech.

Anyone voicing an opinion the Junta finds offensive can have charges lodged, after being threatened of course.

What are they afraid of?

Edited by mtls2005

I could be wrong and welcome being corrected but at the time of the coup wasn't he a Colonel, not sure if a ' full ' one or not ?
If so getting to Lt. Gen. in a couple of years might be seen seen as a meteoritic rise but the way things work here it needn't come as a surprise.

Well they don't have the rank of Brigadier (Brigadier General in US speak) so it's perhaps not that meteoric. A just reward for outstanding leadership and personal bravery on the field of battle perhaps? Lots of chaps got promoted jolly fast that way during that big exercise that dragged on a bit (1939 - 1945) and they didn't have to face students protesting at internet censorship, or fight tooth and nail against the rampant massed evil forces of cyber crime!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“Authorities have measures, should there be any actions, from video recording to prosecuting following international rules,”

How do they follow international rules in a country where every PC is already considered a crime scene?

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So the Thais can't discuss facets of the law without fear of persecution?    Not even being allowed to vote on the laws that govern them is considered an issue in many countries around the world.  Sad state of affairs.

The election will not change anything. Bully pulpits will prevail. 

“Every country has a universal rule of advising people about what websites are deemed critical to national security,” he said. “It also depends on Internet providers’ discretion on management over access to foreign websites.”

If the U.S. has these rules, I have never been advised of them.

It's not fun any more dam it,,,   were are the junta huggers gone?  it's the same evry time their hero's do some thing stupid like this single gateway that allmost no one in the country wants. Not even these junta huggers can defend it or want it so they all go quiet.

It's not fair I tell ya...

C'mon fella's,, please come out n play,,, I mean inform and bestow on us your wisdom why the junta have to have this gate way nd that they are right and it's the rest of the world that is wrong...

So warnnings of actions agianst people that protest the new CC laws...  wow. I wonder hat the punishment would be for such a crime?

2 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

It's not fun any more dam it,,,   were are the junta huggers gone?  it's the same evry time their hero's do some thing stupid like this single gateway that allmost no one in the country wants. Not even these junta huggers can defend it or want it so they all go quiet.

It's not fair I tell ya...

C'mon fella's,, please come out n play,,, I mean inform and bestow on us your wisdom why the junta have to have this gate way nd that they are right and it's the rest of the world that is wrong...

So warnnings of actions agianst people that protest the new CC laws...  wow. I wonder hat the punishment would be for such a crime?

FYI the fanboys are having a party on the thread about the 19detained redshirts.

21 hours ago, Srikcir said:

So expect the NCPO to order the RTP to investigate and arrest those "Likes" for cyber crimes as well?

See, that's the thing.  'Absolutely clueless and stuck in the last century when it comes to all things IT and social media.   'Could be a bumpy road ahead for these fantasized online enforcement actions.  I'm sure the Beijing buddies are helping to keep this pot simmering though.   And much as I hate to say it, they're probably even envious of the NSA and its routine intrusions these days.