2016 POSTER OF THE YEAR POLL - FINAL

Ron19

2016 POSTER OF THE YEAR POLL - FINAL  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Choose and vote for one only. DO NOT CLICK ON " SHOW RESULTS " It will record you as voting but not record your vote.

• transam
    • Naam
    • villagefarang
    • GuestHouse

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I understand that they call it a Garden but I guess you will never understand that. And if I'm a bit bellicose it's reading that while all you people were stuck on your computers I was out absorbing and immersing myself in nature with my face stuck in a camera.

24 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I propose Canuckamuck and Geronimo run the POTY next year. Fun, fun, fun !!! No offense Ron, you're doing admirable work but for some of us sad sacks this is the highlight of our year. :sad:

200.gif#8

Other mods and I are doing our best to keep a lid on some of the posts that are

causing bad feelings between members, some just don't want to conform. 

7 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Please continue the good work,  it's absolutely necessary for many reasons as this thread is sinking into disrepute.

Fun's fun but there'a a limit.

4 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

That sucks Ron. Some good natured ribbing is to be expected, even wished for but no need for abusive posts.

There will always be in life -- and especially living here in Thailand -- people with whom you can have a good time and people who just want to give you a hard time. For me it seems the only people who routinely like to give me a hard time in Thailand do so on here and that's just fine with me to keep it on here in cyberland.

51 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Peer pressure is useful, the majority letting the few know what's not acceptable can be very effective, don't be afraid to speak up I say.

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

I propose Canuckamuck and Geronimo run the POTY next year. Fun, fun, fun !!! No offense Ron, you're doing admirable work but for some of us sad sacks this is the highlight of our year. :sad:

200.gif#8

I don't think we could do any different. The vote changing was the main source of entertainment and the forum software won't let us do that. Although there may be some mean posts, It is actually pretty tame compared to some other years. Everything is going as good as it can,

I want to come back for a moment to that wonderful picture that VF posted earlier of Ma Fah Luang (below), I have a similar one set as my desktop background on my PC at home because it rates as probably the nicest place I've seen anywhere in Thailand.

For those of you who have never been there, what makes MFL very special is the location and its setting. Set high up in the mountains it's only kilometres from the border with Myanmar and much of the surrounding terrain is inhospitable high jungle, to stand in the stunningly beautiful manicured gardens and compare what's inside to what's outside is quite a moment - of course the gardens are very lovely but it's the contrast that always strikes me. It has to be the most unlikely place ever to find gardens of this size and type, especially if you weren't expecting it. The other point worth mentioning is the very clever design of the gardens which is comprised of a series of small gardens, each working splendidly with the next, it's a very clever piece of construction that leaves most people, (except JC) I would guess, feeling relaxed and very peaceful. Highly recommended and well worth the visit.

DoiTung  002.jpg

17 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I don't think we could do any different. The vote changing was the main source of entertainment and the forum software won't let us do that. Although there may be some mean posts, It is actually pretty tame compared to some other years. Everything is going as good as it can,

You've summed it up quite well but it's a pity in a way we have to say ' everything is going as good as it can. "

And Merry Christmas to you too!

I swear JC, you're a walking advertisement for ineffective  haemorrhoid cream, how hard can it have been to simple say yes, that looks pleasant or indeed not to say anything.

Edited by chiang mai

Whether staff or members run POTY there will always be some that ain't happy. I for one am happy staff took the task on this year, bit of a learning curve for them for sure but it's OK.

Remember it's posters that make the contest fun, you lot, and me....:giggle:....Must admit after yesterdays "episode" I was a bit deflated BUT today is another day, so lets ROCK..

b0217.gif  

On a more serious note, heres an idea for next year’s contest ……

Once the nominees have been announced, each member can submit one question for the nominees, to be sent to a mod. Then, after the mods have been through them all, they would select say, three, and these would be posted, and each nominee must answer within 24 hours.

This way, the members get to choose the questions, and if there are a lot of contenders, you could have several rounds. The candidates would have to think on their feet, and although there would be no right or wrong answer, the voters can make their own judgement.

I am sure that between all of us, we could come up with cracking questions, and of course, there should be clear rules about the contents of the questions, eg, nothing too personal. While the title is all about consistently posting good stuff over the year, this system will add to that and bring out some other attributes for the voters to observe.

Just an idea …………………

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

Once the nominees have been announced, each member can submit one question for the nominees, to be sent to a mod. Then, after the mods have been through them all, they would select say, three, and these would be posted, and each nominee must answer within 24 hours.

This way, the members get to choose the questions, and if there are a lot of contenders, you could have several rounds. The candidates would have to think on their feet, and although there would be no right or wrong answer, the voters can make their own judgement.

I am sure that between all of us, we could come up with cracking questions, and of course, there should be clear rules about the contents of the questions, eg, nothing too personal. While the title is all about consistently posting good stuff over the year, this system will add to that and bring out some other attributes for the voters to observe.

Just an idea …………………

I would be game.... b0221.gif

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Well a new year is nearly upon us, I wonder what "wonderments"  we will be blessed with. Well just a few years back we wondered about stuff as my documentary shows...

That was hilarious thx

10 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Just an idea …………………

Surely it's not meant to be serious.

It's almost as long as the Olympic Games as it is.

I'm sure we can survive without the nominees telling us how to eradicate poverty and achieve world peace.

You're also opening it up for more abuse.

It seems hard enough to get quality nominees as it is with more and more withdrawing.

As suggested, I doubt Guesthouse even knows he's been nominated.

IMO, just keep it simple.

Just now, Will27 said:

Surely it's not meant to be serious.

It's almost as long as the Olympic Games as it is.

I'm sure we can survive without the nominees telling us how to eradicate poverty and achieve world peace.

You're also opening it up for more abuse.

It seems hard enough to get quality nominees as it is with more and more withdrawing.

As suggested, I doubt Guesthouse even knows he's been nominated.

IMO, just keep it simple.

Point taken, although I am trying to make it a little more interesting, rather than serious.

There is a side to this that perhaps some members don't see, and that is the banter and humour that can be created in the middle of what some might call "senseless bickering". I personally get many a chuckle from a lot of the comments, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this is what the contest is really about.

4 minutes ago, geronimo said:

There is a side to this that perhaps some members don't see, and that is the banter and humour that can be created in the middle of what some might call "senseless bickering". I personally get many a chuckle from a lot of the comments, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this is what the contest is really about.

Maybe it's best to keep it jovial,  it's been anything but though.

Ask the mods how many posts have been deleted because they were a lot worse than "senseless bickering".