Ride motorbike thailand to vietnam - any advice?

Hi, I would like to take my thai registered motobike to Cambodia and then onto Vietnam. I have searched on internet regarding taking a Thai bike into Vietnam and the things i read suggests this may not be possible or be a difficult process. Has anyone taken a Thai bike into Vietnam and can you point me to information sources?

My bike is Thai registered 2015 & 150cc. I have green book and all papers/tax/ insurance.

Thanks for reading

I think you have no chance of Vietnam. You need to be on a registered tour to have any chance.

Cambodia is easier. You will be tapped up for extra cash at the border by the Cambos. You will need to change your headlights to yellow and get them angled slightly differently. The 150 cc may be an issue. I am not sure if it is too small.

GT rider forum has a lot of info but is not as up to date as it used to be.

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I think you have no chance of Vietnam. You need to be on a registered tour to have any chance.

Cambodia is easier. You will be tapped up for extra cash at the border by the Cambos. You will need to change your headlights to yellow and get them angled slightly differently. The 150 cc may be an issue. I am not sure if it is too small.

Looks like I will sell bike, fly to Vietnam and buy a bike there. The ride the coast. Sad but I think this is going to be the easiest way. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

I went over from Chon Chom border and no extra charge for bike. Quite painless. Headlight must be off during daylight hours, so most bikers cover the lens with tape/card or something similar (easy temp fix)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, thisisnotmyrealname said:

Looks like I will sell bike, fly to Vietnam and buy a bike there. The ride the coast. Sad but I think this is going to be the easiest way. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

You seem to be talking about a permanent import to Vietnam not a temporary import for an extended tour of a couple of weeks. No idea about this. Sounds like a customs nightmare.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Last time I checked - taking your own bike into VN is not possible. Waiting for the day I can ride one of mine there, and into Myanmar as well. Check gt-rider - they have a VN subforum.

Not so long ago two French guys rode two Peugeot scooters with French plates to Ho-Chi-Minh http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Peugeot-Scooters-Launched-in-Vietnam_Thailand-Next

You can't.

Fly or take the bus there and buy or rent in HCM or Ha Noi.

As already mentioned read  www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling

Tiggit motorcycles do an agreed sale and buy back price deal. 

I am just back from a three month, 10,000 + km trip around all of Vietnam Buy a next to new bike, and sell at the end, total cost $500. Bike comes with a guarantee.

It will be cold in the Northern mountains now. Check and plan your trip. It is a great place to ride ONCE you understand way of riding and driving. Seems far more dangerous than Thailand, but is not.

Feel free to ask me if you want to know more.

The best site for info on bikes there is  vietnamcoracle.com/

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You must have the proper papers for your bike for Thai customs when you leave Thailand for Cambodia.  When you return Thai customs will want the second set of papers or you can't get the bike back into Thailand so don't lose them.

No extra charge by Cambodia.  You should get a headlight switch installed before going since you are not allowed to have the headlights on during the day in Cambodia.

Technically you are only allowed to use your bike in the Cambodian province where you enter.  Practically you can use it anywhere.

Technically your Thai license is good in any Asian country.  Practically you need an international drivers license.  The Cambodian cops look at barangs (barangs, not farnags in Cambodia) as cash cows so they will only accept Cambodian and international driver's licenses.  Typically a couple of US $s will suffice for a day or two if you don't have the right license.

Edited by HarrySeaman

As I understand it as a tourist you can't own a bike in Vietnam.  Also, driving without a Vietnamese license is illegal in Vietnam.  Plenty of people rent bikes but it will not be covered by any insurance I have come across.  Bike tours may have special arrangements.

34 minutes ago, Mousehound said:

As I understand it as a tourist you can't own a bike in Vietnam.  Also, driving without a Vietnamese license is illegal in Vietnam.  Plenty of people rent bikes but it will not be covered by any insurance I have come across.  Bike tours may have special arrangements.

I bought one as a tourist. Through a company, all paperwork with me, i could even take the bike out of country if i wanted.

A Thai licence is accepted. But of course they may play games with that.

Edited by chrissables
missing word

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You can ride where ever you like in Vietnam on a bike bought in Vietnam or rented.You may have to grease some palms occasionly,but no biggy.It is a great way to see Vietnam but can be dangerous on the main roads.

19 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I bought one as a tourist. Through a company, all paperwork with me, i could even take the bike out of country if i wanted.

A Thai licence is accepted. But of course they may play games with that.

I think that if you look on the WWW there is quite a lot on this.  Buying a bike should not be a problem - also exporting a bike.  Registering a bike and driving legally is different.  You can hire a bike and I suppose buy a bike  and drive it about but it is not legal to do so without a Vietnamese license.  If you get pulled over by the police  it will cost you.  If you have an accident you will not be insured.  The best thing really is to look at government warnings - (The UK one is now out of date) on bikes in Vietnam.  Have a look The Australian Government Travel Advice.  Or ask your own countries Consul direct - a miracle may happen and you get a reply.  International Licenses are also not officially recognised.  The real problem is insurance. - you can bet they will weasel their way out of paying if they can.  I asked my insurers and they basically stated that as long as it was driven legally and you are not under the influence, and your home country license covered me it would be OK.  However, I would have to hire from a legal entity,  licensed to hire and 120cc was the max size.  The chances of having an accident in Vietnam have to be high.  Saigon (Where I am off to ) is traffic hell. This with the fact that most of the traffic drives on the wrong side of the road makes it a pretty dangerous task.  One I was looking forward to but not if I can't get insurance.

16 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

You can ride where ever you like in Vietnam on a bike bought in Vietnam or rented.You may have to grease some palms occasionly,but no biggy.It is a great way to see Vietnam but can be dangerous on the main roads.

I think the OP wants to permanently export his Thai-registered bike to Vietnam. He was not 100% clear in his original post.

Just rode from Thailand to Sapa Vietnam and back easy but you need a good agent to set everything up however this was on my 1200cc bike which was purchased in Thailand and registered in my name 

not sure about riding a small bike 

Buying a bike in VN is maybe your best option and they are reasonably cheap. This is a photo of a bike i bought in VN and could easily do 90kph but i would stay at a safe 60kph due to potholes, dogs and crazy drivers on the road. I did over 20000km and traveled through Vietnam. Cambodia, laos and Thailand and did not get hassled much at the borders but was refused at some and then would just drive on to the next one. Good luck and enjoy the trip.........Look on craiglist vietnam you will see what your options are for bikes on there and make sure that it has a blue registration card.No automatic alt text available.

16 hours ago, thisisnotmyrealname said:

You need a Vietnamese driving license !!!.....

16 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

To be safe, make sure you have good insurance.  With evacuation if possible.

I doubt if insurance will make you any safer. It may make life more manageable after an accident though. 

12 hours ago, MSTJAT said:

Just rode from Thailand to Sapa Vietnam and back easy but you need a good agent to set everything up however this was on my 1200cc bike which was purchased in Thailand and registered in my name 

not sure about riding a small bike 

My understanding was you couldn't take anything above 200cc into Vietnam. So with a 1200 is impressive. As for Cambodia....I took my 650 there last year. No problem crossing the border, but trying to find insurance seemed impossible. As for the headlight thing....I drove with it on and extra spots all the time because the drivers there are worse than Thialand. Never got stopped, though a farang mentioned the lights to me. I rode in Hanoi, and while you are flowing with the traffic I thought it was fine. Now they all wear helmets and only two on a bike makes it much safer there.

love Vietnam.

Funny countries don't like lights on in daylight. Cars and bikes all have daylight running lights in NA. I just makes you more visable.  I don't understand the reason that they have to be off. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

38 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I doubt if insurance will make you any safer. It may make life more manageable after an accident though. 

If you are sitting in a hospital and they are refusing treatment because you don't have insurance, then I do believe it does make you "safer". LOL

I've read about this too many times here.  No insurance then a plea for money to help get home.

21 hours ago, deonvz said:

Buying a bike in VN is maybe your best option and they are reasonably cheap. This is a photo of a bike i bought in VN and could easily do 90kph but i would stay at a safe 60kph due to potholes, dogs and crazy drivers on the road. I did over 20000km and traveled through Vietnam. Cambodia, laos and Thailand and did not get hassled much at the borders but was refused at some and then would just drive on to the next one. Good luck and enjoy the trip.........Look on craiglist vietnam you will see what your options are for bikes on there and make sure that it has a blue registration card.No automatic alt text available.

Do VN locals drive this type of bike, 

or only tourists?