A girl has gone online to warn people about habitual use of the pain killer Tramadol

webfact

1 hour ago, Ai Dteea said:

This is what you said and you are totally wrong.

You haven't read that link I sent you.

Man up and admit your mistakes.

Show me one article that says Tramadol doesn't cause dependence and stop being so rude.

So you think you know it all.

Please do us all a favour and shut up.

I am not addicted to tramadol and never will be.

As for your nonsense about not taking it for 2 days, yes been there done that, have not had any since that 16th of this month.

No problems whatsoever.

After being on tramadol for 3 years, i decided it was time to stop, at the moment only taking 1 gabepentin per day.

NO COLD TURKEY JUST NORMAL. that is normal for me, maybe not normal for others, but hey who gives a <deleted> not me. 

I agree with bluespunk 100%.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, TSF said:

Sure you OK with it, no worries at all mate. No side effects, everything's bonza. Now stop taking Tram and see what happens.

lol I do everytime I'm in Thailand when I completely miss out the evening slow release tablet. (1 of 2 daily)

I can stop it because of the much hotter climate than when at home. Zero side effects either at half dose.

1 hour ago, MadMuhummad said:

Typo: was supposed to read 600mg x 2 daily. I was on 1800 but managed to dial it back a little.

im not sure It's cost in Thailand but back home it's approx $60aud a prescription 

Most countries don't require a prescription. I buy locally in Phuket for 950 baht for 100 (10 x 10) 300 mg. I just placed an order at Vitacost for the equivalent at 100 baht. I do pay shipping. I bought a year and a half supply for $40. That included a $10 shipping charge. 

I know a lot of people are dealing with chronic pain. Gabapentin can be a game changer without the terrible side effects of opiates. If you're on Tramadol or Codeine do yourself an enormous favor and start using Gaba. There is an alternative.  You just have to use it in the correct doseage and that's difficult to determine and Doctors are bad at determining correct dose. See my original post for some guidelines. 

Edited by Pinot

I hope they're giving good pain meds to the young boy whose penis was attacked by a swarm of Jurassic insects. Preferably something that will kill the pain and erase his memory of the last few days. A good sacrifice of brain cells in such a case.

14 hours ago, CobraSnakeNecktie said:

Switch to Kratom. Grown in Thailand and hasn't it recently been taken off Illegal status?

It's not for everyone and have to rotate strains but its very gentle opiate agonist which tickles the opiate receptors. I liken it somewhat to hard exercise for pain and anxiety relief.

Still very much illegal. 

On 21 December 2016 at 10:09 AM, Pinot said:

Opiates should always be avoided. 

I've written about this. IMHO, I am not a doctor, the first thing that should be used to fight chronic pain is Gabapentin. It is rarely prescribed and even less often prescribed correctly. I take a maintenance dose everyday and have eliminated the crippling back pain I use to get from degenerating discs. 

IM me if you have questions but this link will explain everything. Check with your doctor but I doubt they'll know much about Gaba. 

Gabapentin is THE drug for chronic pain

Good for you if Gaba is doing it for you, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone. A quick look on its Wikipedia page tells me that this drug is on the market only since 2004, so you're a little bit of a Guinea pig for its long term side effects, if you're using regularly it for chronic pain. 

I understand why some people are scared of opiates, after decades of state propaganda, but addiction is meaningless as long as you need to take your medicine daily anyway, you just have to manage your dosage carefully. And once you don't need it anymore, quitting is doable and manageable by yourself, while renal or liver failure (paracetamol anyone?) isn't....

19 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

Good for you if Gaba is doing it for you, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone. A quick look on its Wikipedia page tells me that this drug is on the market only since 2004, so you're a little bit of a Guinea pig for its long term side effects, if you're using regularly it for chronic pain. 

I understand why some people are scared of opiates, after decades of state propaganda, but addiction is meaningless as long as you need to take your medicine daily anyway, you just have to manage your dosage carefully. And once you don't need it anymore, quitting is doable and manageable by yourself, while renal or liver failure (paracetamol anyone?) isn't....

Tsk. Yeah, opiates are no problem, easy to quit, piece of cake. 

Gabapentin offers very little in the way of side effects. Legal, over the counter drug almost everywhere.

Death from prescription opiates is up 100% in the last year and highly addictive. Any and all of these opiates should be avoided at all costs. Opiates for pain have led thousands to addiction to heroin. It's the reason that heroin is no longer just an inner city drug.  

The first line of defense against chronic pain should be Gabapentin.  I'll stand by that statement. 

11 hours ago, Pinot said:

Gabapentin offers very little in the way of side effects. Legal, over the counter drug almost everywhere.

Death from prescription opiates is up 100% in the last year and highly addictive. Any and all of these opiates should be avoided at all costs. Opiates for pain have led thousands to addiction to heroin. It's the reason that heroin is no longer just an inner city drug.  

The first line of defense against chronic pain should be Gabapentin.  I'll stand by that statement. 

Suggestions for someone that is currently prescribed both? It seems I'm out of options for future alternatives 

12 hours ago, Pinot said:

Well gabapentin does exactly zero for my herniated disc pain. Took it for weeks and it did nothing at all. Ive basically learned to deal with it, but it gets BAD sometimes. Cant sit down, can't lay down, can't sleep. Nerve pain in my groin & right leg from sciatica. Most of the time its a dull ache I can deal with but damn sometimes its a killer for days on end if I do something stupid like heave on something at work. 

Opiates have their place. Nobody should be in pain unnecessarily. For real deal pain, not some funny neck ache from sleeping weird - real pain - a limited supply of opiates should be prescribed & monitored in a way thats impossible to become physically dependent or build a tolerance. 10 pills a month or something for the worst emergencies. 

I agree with your statement sort of, but these blanket statements cause undue suffering to people with legitimate problems. 

Of course there aren't many options in Thailand. You pretty much need to be dying to get any relief and thats inhumane if you ask me. 

16 hours ago, Aggressive said:

Well gabapentin does exactly zero for my herniated disc pain. Took it for weeks and it did nothing at all. Ive basically learned to deal with it, but it gets BAD sometimes. Cant sit down, can't lay down, can't sleep. Nerve pain in my groin & right leg from sciatica. Most of the time its a dull ache I can deal with but damn sometimes its a killer for days on end if I do something stupid like heave on something at work. 

Opiates have their place. Nobody should be in pain unnecessarily. For real deal pain, not some funny neck ache from sleeping weird - real pain - a limited supply of opiates should be prescribed & monitored in a way thats impossible to become physically dependent or build a tolerance. 10 pills a month or something for the worst emergencies. 

I agree with your statement sort of, but these blanket statements cause undue suffering to people with legitimate problems. 

Of course there aren't many options in Thailand. You pretty much need to be dying to get any relief and thats inhumane if you ask me. 

I guess it's a question of principle: some people (and it still seems to be a majority) are ok with a "nanny-state" which rules and regulates almost any aspect of an individual's life, including what and how much of it you can put in your body. Me, I would love to live in a more grown-up, responsible society where unbiased information is available so that adults can make informed decisions based on the available knowledge. I don't want anyone to tell me what I can drink, eat or smoke - even if I inhale ;)  I do appreciate a public health and safety system that provides information and prevents fraud and so on. The prescription-system doesn't provide as much safety as it seems anyway, but it does make prices go up. Also, the war on drugs is a complete and utter failure worldwide - that's a fact. 

1 hour ago, MadMuhummad said:

I'm currently on 60 Gaba per month plus 120 oxy's of varied strength. 10 pills would do me no favours whatsoever.

Thats a bunch but people have different issues. I was talking more like when you leave the hospital with injuries and you get limited amounts in the beginning & stuff. Stupid to send people away in pain with paracetamol & gabapentin. But even then its all about the injuries. 

10 minutes ago, mcfish said:

It's a synthetic opiate. Pop 10 to 20 and get back to us

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatal

No need. Im speaking from experience, on both counts. Wasn't attacking you either. Just want to make it clear that these two things are not even on the same planet. They don't even do the same things in the brain for the most part. Just because its synthetic doesn't mean its better or stronger. 

Can not compare it to Heroin or Morphine you will never get anything close to the effects or danger. 

Not saying Tramadol should be banned or anything either. 

Edited by Aggressive

No need. Im speaking from experience, on both counts. Wasn't attacking you either. Just want to make it clear that these two things are not even on the same planet. They don't even do the same things in the brain for the most part. Just because its synthetic doesn't mean its better or stronger. 

Can not compare it to Heroin or Morphine you will never get anything close to the effects or danger. 

Not saying Tramadol should be banned or anything either. 

Good to hear but it certainly has ruffled some feathers of late here in Thailand.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Good to hear but it certainly has ruffled some feathers of late here in Thailand.

Well thats not saying much is it? Some idiot gets stupid on drugs, and the government sees it, they think omg thailand looks bad etc... Next it'll be some idiot huffing gasoline. 

Well thats not saying much is it? Some idiot gets stupid on drugs, and the government sees it, they think omg thailand looks bad etc... Next it'll be some idiot huffing gasoline. 

Yep and there will be a crackdown allowing only 2 gallons a day between the hours of 12 and 2pm.

Just now, mcfish said:

Yep and there will be a crackdown allowing on 2 gallons a day between the hours of 12 and 2pm.

Cant be sold within 500m of a school either. Anyone complaining about it publicly will be prosecuted for defamation of the good name of Thailand. Its for everyones safety. Think of the children. 

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

It's a synthetic opiate. Pop 10 to 20 and get back to us

Not so much. Tramadol  is in a different class and works differently from real opiates. Tramadol is a single chemical that affects opioid receptors including the intestine and is also a  serotonin and norepinephrine (SNRI) uptake inhibitor in the brain,  like antidepressants and chocolate.

It affects 3 receptors and has 3 effects.

1) mild pain reduction,

2) elevation in mood, less depressed, (seratonin/ chocolate),

3) more alert ( norepinephrine) like tea/coffee.

Side effects are often due to seratonin not the opiate part.  Because it is one chemical, there is no way to adjust the effects, which means it is a mild pain reliever by definition. It has always been and should be over the counter.

19 hours ago, rabas said:

Not so much. Tramadol  is in a different class and works differently from real opiates. Tramadol is a single chemical that affects opioid receptors including the intestine and is also a  serotonin and norepinephrine (SNRI) uptake inhibitor in the brain,  like antidepressants and chocolate.

It affects 3 receptors and has 3 effects.

1) mild pain reduction,

2) elevation in mood, less depressed, (seratonin/ chocolate),

3) more alert ( norepinephrine) like tea/coffee.

Side effects are often due to seratonin not the opiate part.  Because it is one chemical, there is no way to adjust the effects, which means it is a mild pain reliever by definition. It has always been and should be over the counter.

I like that you stressed that it only has MILD pain relieving properties, unlike what most people think. Morphine is about 10 times as strong in that respect, it's not like Tramadol should only be used when everything else has failed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2016 at 6:04 PM, mcfish said:

Weren't they recently discussing legalizing some illegal drugs? And here they are doing there best to ban the legal ones.. It's just total chaos.

They should definitely ban Tramadol.

Just a few months ago, I went through terrible withdrawals from this drug, which were similar coming off narcotic pain medication. Being sold over the counter is criminal.  

It is no wonder so many people here are tramadol addicts and I was only taking 3 pills a day. 

Beware!

Anyone that says it is harmless is wrong.  it is a very addictive drug.

On 21/12/2016 at 2:50 PM, colinneil said:

I have been taking tramadol now for over 3 years with no problems.

Taking prescribed medicine is ok if you do not take more than prescribed.

Maybe he has been taking  alcohol, something which is a definite no-no when on tramadol.

Have you ever tried to come off this drug? 

On 21/12/2016 at 3:51 PM, Bluespunk said:

It doesn't cause dependency.

Abuse and misuse cause dependency. 

As with all drugs. 

Could you please tell me where you get this information from?

I am a clinical psychologist and have had many clients suffering from tramadol dependency. I was even addicted to it myself for a few months.

On 21/12/2016 at 1:51 PM, webfact said:

Pharmacies in Thailand are restricted to selling only 1000 tablets each per month and its distribution to people 17 and younger is prohibited. No more than 20 tablets can be given out at a time.

Bah hahahahaha - 20 tablets at a time? Did I really read that? Well!? Speechless in Bangkok!

They should definitely ban Tramadol.

Just a few months ago, I went through terrible withdrawals from this drug, which were similar coming off narcotic pain medication. Being sold over the counter is criminal.  
It is no wonder so many people here are tramadol addicts and I was only taking 3 pills a day. 
Beware!

Anyone that says it is harmless is wrong.  it is a very addictive drug.

Nonsense. It's you that has an addictive personality.
Alcohol is far more addictive but like pain killers there are those that abuse it and there are those that use it responsibly

The level of insanity that I see in this thread is off the map. My doctor prescribed Tramadol in the USA for my back pain. He SPECIFICALLY told me that he chose this medicine because it was NOT addictive. The level of imperial hubris that it takes to dismiss the judgement of a qualified physician is beyond the scope of my understanding.

Edited by Chip Allen