Israel’s ex-president freed from jail after serving five years for rape

webfact

Israel’s ex-president freed from jail after serving five years for rape

606x341_353006.jpg

JERUSALEM: -- Israel’s former president Moshe Katsav has walked free from prison, winning early release, five years after being jailed for rape.

Katsav left prison in central Israel accompanied by his wife and other family members.

The 71-year-old was sentenced in 2011 to seven years behind bars after being convicted of two counts of rape, sexual harassment, indecency and obstruction of justice.

Appointed in 2000, Katsav was forced to resign in 2007, two weeks before his term as president was set to end.

His downfall disgraced Israeli politics but was seen as a key victory for women’s rights.

The decision by a parole board to release Katsav early, however, has sparked controversy in Israel. Opposition politicians say the move sends out the ‘‘dangerous message’‘ that if you are well connected you can get away with a less harsh punishment for rape.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-22

5 hours ago, hdkane said:

Hey Thailand...this is how you treat rapists...no matter how powerful and connected, they are responsible...Jews demonstrate "Thainess" better than Thais...

Rest assured that he was never behind bars though, a plush apartment with fantastic food and all the visitors he likes,  just can't cross the line on the side walk outside. Believe it. Oh its ok though because he has to pay for it himself.

4 hours ago, Grubster said:

Rest assured that he was never behind bars though, a plush apartment with fantastic food and all the visitors he likes,  just can't cross the line on the side walk outside. Believe it. Oh its ok though because he has to pay for it himself.

What are you on about? He was in prison and it's well documented. Same goes for an ex-PM currently behind bars (corruption, not a sex offender). There are at least four or five recent similar cases (unrelated) involving high profile personas.

Edited by Morch

22 hours ago, Morch said:

What are you on about? He was in prison and it's well documented. Same goes for an ex-PM currently behind bars (corruption, not a sex offender). There are at least four or five recent similar cases (unrelated) involving high profile personas.

Find out what prison he was in and then take a good look and you will know what I'm on about. I could be wrong about in Israel [ I doubt it] but in the US these types of white collar criminals are put in a place like I described and I will bet they are there too. They have everything they need and more.  Check it out. It won't make you happy.

4 hours ago, Grubster said:

Find out what prison he was in and then take a good look and you will know what I'm on about. I could be wrong about in Israel [ I doubt it] but in the US these types of white collar criminals are put in a place like I described and I will bet they are there too. They have everything they need and more.  Check it out. It won't make you happy.

This is nonsense. Some prisons in USA are better than others, but none of them are pleasant compared to being a free man. A "plush apartment with fantastic food" is a major exaggeration.

Edited by Ulysses G.

This is nonsense. Some prisons in USA are better than others, but none of them are pleasant compared to being a free man. A "plush apartment with fantastic food" is a major exaggeration.

He could go every month on a house leave for 72 hours. That's quite 'exaggerated' if you compare to similar offences locally and elsewhere.

Quote from link :

"His incarceration conditions are set to improve after several leaves. He will be able to visit his house once a month for a 72-hour stretch and will not have to be on house arrest."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4427411,00.html

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

38 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

He could go every month on a house leave for 72 hours. That's quite 'exaggerated' if you compare to similar offences locally and elsewhere.

Quote from link :

"His incarceration conditions are set to improve after several leaves. He will be able to visit his house once a month for a 72-hour stretch and will not have to be on house arrest."

That would be a possibility for good behavior and it has not started yet. He has been in jail almost 2 years with no leave at all and will be under house arrest. Hardly the heaven insinuated by another poster.

Former President Moshe Katsav who is serving a seven-year sentence for rape and other sex offences left the Maasiyahu Prison on Monday for a 24-hour leave.

This is Katsav's first leave since be began serving his sentence a year and nine months ago. He will spend his leave under house arrest in Kiryat Malachi but will be allowed to attend synagogue.

8 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

No it is not, my brother retired from the federal prison system and there are indeed prisons that are very nice for these types of criminals, they justify this by making the very important white collar criminal pay for his own stay, check into it before you doubt it.

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

That would be a possibility for good behavior and it has not started yet. He has been in jail almost 2 years with no leave at all and will be under house arrest. Hardly the heaven insinuated by another poster.

Former President Moshe Katsav who is serving a seven-year sentence for rape and other sex offences left the Maasiyahu Prison on Monday for a 24-hour leave.

This is Katsav's first leave since be began serving his sentence a year and nine months ago. He will spend his leave under house arrest in Kiryat Malachi but will be allowed to attend synagogue.

Google club fed prisons, read up a bit sunny boy. They are actually allowed to leave the grounds as long as they are back in time at some of these.  Do you really think that government officials would rob you like they do if they thought they would have to do hard time as you and I would have to do. They don't worry to much of the consequences of their crimes.

11 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Google club fed prisons, read up a bit sunny boy. They are actually allowed to leave the grounds as long as they are back in time at some of these.  Do you really think that government officials would rob you like they do if they thought they would have to do hard time as you and I would have to do. They don't worry to much of the consequences of their crimes.

No one said they would do the same time as me, but your claim that they will have a "plush apartment with fantastic food" is absolute baloney.

17 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

No one said they would do the same time as me, but your claim that they will have a "plush apartment with fantastic food" is absolute baloney.

No it is not, you are wrong, many are allowed to have food brought in from outside.  The government would not really like this to be common knowledge for obvious reasons.  You can believe what you want and I will believe my retired federal warden brother, as he has never been a story fabricator in the past. They are not behind bars either.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What do USA jails have to do with this story ?

Because I stated in my original post that I suspect that Israeli prisons for the elite are probably similar and I stand by that, Why do you care if you didn't bother to read my first post. Is it ok if I give an opinion on that or should I ask you first?

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Because I stated in my original post that I suspect that Israeli prisons for the elite are probably similar and I stand by that, Why do you care if you didn't bother to read my first post. Is it ok if I give an opinion on that or should I ask you first?

You stated something that you claimed to be factual, now you are saying that it is just something that you "suspect" may be true .

Whereas you actually have no idea what his conditions were like in the Israeli jail .

15 hours ago, Grubster said:

So first it was "rest assured" and now it's "I could be wrong". Bottom line is that you project on one situation based on something you claim to know on another. Rather than telling other to check their facts, perhaps would have been better if you did the same before posting nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshe_Katsav#Prison

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-16064840

10 hours ago, Thorgal said:

Quote from link :

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The link you provided actually explains this, without your usual added twists and misinformation:

The 24 hour leaves are not granted from the onset of the incarceration:

This is Katsav's first leave since be began serving his sentence a year and nine months ago.

These leaves are not unique:

The Israel Prison Service said that Katsav meets all three criteria for a leave: Completing a quarter of his sentence, passing a mental health center evaluation and attending a workshop on sexual crimes in prison.  

The 72 hour leaves are granted later on, if prisoner is eligible:

His incarceration conditions are set to improve after several leaves. He will be able to visit his house once a month for a 72-hour stretch and will not have to be on house arrest.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

You stated something that you claimed to be factual, now you are saying that it is just something that you "suspect" may be true .

Whereas you actually have no idea what his conditions were like in the Israeli jail .

I do have a good idea and if you don't like it then up to you, if you think he had it hard then I say you are a fool.

8 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I do have a good idea and if you don't like it then up to you, if you think he had it hard then I say you are a fool.

I didnt say that he "had it hard"

I disagreed with you when you said that he stayed in a plush apartment with no bars .You said that he had it easy , I didnt say that he had it hard .

6 hours ago, Morch said:

The link you provided actually explains this, without your usual added twists and misinformation:

The 24 hour leaves are not granted from the onset of the incarceration:

These leaves are not unique:

The 72 hour leaves are granted later on, if prisoner is eligible:

Yes and this says nothing about the nice conditions he has been forced to endure.  You believe what you want and I will to.  You do not and will not  know how nice he had it as it is not public knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes and this says nothing about the nice conditions he has been forced to endure.  You believe what you want and I will to.  You do not and will not  know how nice he had it as it is not public knowledge. 

There was a previous post detailing the conditions of his incarceration. There were many reports about it on local news. He's hardly the first prominent politician to be imprisoned in Israel. His cell mate was a former minister. So yes, it was public knowledge and you are grasping at straws.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I didnt say that he "had it hard"

I disagreed with you when you said that he stayed in a plush apartment with no bars .You said that he had it easy , I didnt say that he had it hard .

And I stand by what I said 100% and you cannot prove me wrong unless you think the government of any country would publicly show the conditions that elite prisoners have, go visit one if you can even get that info out of them.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

And I stand by what I said 100% and you cannot prove me wrong unless you think the government of any country would publicly show the conditions that elite prisoners have, go visit one if you can even get that info out of them.

Ha ha, you have just proved yourself wrong by stating that no Government would publicly show the jail conditions of so called elite prisoners .

If the public do not know what the conditions are like, then that proves that you are just guessing /making your claims up .

You sentence is quite contradictory, you stated that the jail conditions are unknown and you also claimed that you know what the jail conditions are like .

They are either known or unknown, they cannot be both known and unknown

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Ha ha, you have just proved yourself wrong by stating that no Government would publicly show the jail conditions of so called elite prisoners .

If the public do not know what the conditions are like, then that proves that you are just guessing /making your claims up .

You sentence is quite contradictory, you stated that the jail conditions are unknown and you also claimed that you know what the jail conditions are like .

They are either known or unknown, they cannot be both known and unknown

I said unknown to the public, are you sure that I don't know?  

5 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I said unknown to the public, are you sure that I don't know?  

Again, you may know something that relates to the US. It is obvious that you do not know anything concrete regarding the OP. And yes - the information is available, some of it linked here, the rest easy to google.

Edited by Morch