New passport, new visa and multiple entry

Just to update a thread I had started.  I got my new passport in 10 days from the US Embassy and went to Jomtien Immigration for the retirement visa renewal.

Place was a zoo but I got in and out in less than an hour.  It took 2 days for them to copy the info from the old passport.  I went in on Monday and picked up the 

passports on Wednesday.  Then, I turned right around and applied for the retirement extension.  My visa expired on the same day I was applying.  Talk about cutting

it close but I got in under the wire.   Went to pick up the new passport today and the new visa was in there.  Not too many people in there today.  A far cry from Monday.

So, I decided to get the multiple entry and be done with it.  Again, in and out in less than an hour.  More like half an hour.  No lines for anything.  Spectacular!!

How much did this adventure cost me?   

$110 New passport

$50  Financial letter

1900 baht Retirement extension

3800 baht Multiple entry.

It took a while but I am done!!  Maybe one 90 day report-depending on my in and out schedule-and that's it.  One year smooth sailing ahead!!  Life is good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LALes said:

It took a while but I am done!!

Think of how much worse it could be at some of the other immigration offices that seem to require queuing before dawn and a large part of the day waiting to be called.

I did my retirement extension renewal and 90 day report a few days ago and it does feel good to have the extension sorted for another year. The extension took less than 30 minutes and the passport collection + 90 day report about 10 minutes at Jomtien. Kudos for them for their efficiency despite the number of people they process everyday.

• Like 1

Did you have to print out the passport application before going into your appointment for same or did embassy provide the blank application form for you to fill out? Was getting the new passport a chore or a pleasant experience? Did you have the passport mailed to you? If you picked it up did the embassy email you that it was ready for pickup? I am thinking of doing the same early February.

Very easy to get a new passport.   Of course, I live in BKK now, so its easy to go pick it up.   Not a chore at all.

Original appointment was for notary on the financial letter.  Told them about my quandry-passport expiring in 9 months.  They recommended getting a new passport and said I would get it within 2 weeks.  I decided to do it and they gave me the form to fill out.  Took an extra 5 minutes.  Embassy notified me by email that the new passport was ready for pickup 10 days after my application.

It helped that I brought along $110 just in case!!

BTW, I use Jomtien immigration because my official Thai address is still there.  Gotta agree with Suradit 69.  They are a smooth running machine in Jomtien.  Place is crammed full of people who speak 635 languages and a lot of them have minimal English skills.  Yet, they keep the line moving.  Busiest time of the year and I never was in there over an hour during 3 days of interactions.  Of course, retirement visa is the least cluttered counter so you have a better chance of getting in and out in a reasonable time.