Education authority cites ‘focal points’ to improve Thai education system

webfact

Education authority cites ‘focal points’ to improve Thai education system
By THE NATION

58388c88fdd360640a915770e4309085.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND’s independent education authority is urging the public to follow the “focal points” of an international survey that caused alarm and created calls for reform of the whole education system after it gave the country’s students low scores on a global scale.

The director of the Institute for Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST) said the unfavourable report by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed areas where improvement was necessary and could be achieved.

In IPST’s latest report, an article titled “What the PISA scores are telling us?” said the scores of schoolchildren in Bangkok were actually similar to their peers in the United States, though youth in the rest of Thailand got low scores. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302667

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-23

Corruption.  Not enough teachers. Way too many students per classroom. Too much time spent out of the classroom

( Nov/Dec I have taught two of my classes twice in six wks. A grand total of  100 min out of  a possible 350.).

Start with the first one. :cheesy:

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Reading the whole article...there are some good points that will never be taken.....but really, this is another cop out and excuses for poor standards

Chris Y1,

If you read the whole article I sincerely applaud you. However I would suggest that the Thai education system is one of the most efficient in the world. It does what the ptb want it to do.

Give yourself another few years and you won't be reading the whole article. Like me you'll just read the headline, read a few posts, sigh and move on.

On 12/23/2016 at 3:53 PM, George Graham said:

Believe me Redline, even if your avatar offered to help, he'd get a smile, a nod, some fake understanding sympathetic platitudes and then be completely ignored.

It will drag this country to the bottom of the pond.  It's already gasping for air :sad:

Allow students to ask questions! Offer them choices, like an English Club. 

The whole operation at schools needs to become customer centric, just like AMAZON has managed in their line of business.

Lots of Thai teachers bask in their glory and forget the long-suffering kids. Yes, there are well behaved kids who couldn't read English in M2. The school wasn't interested in letting me  t r y  to help them in my free time / after lunch etc. (I asked for a Thai speaking assistant, not extra pay).

We all need to take responsibility and not play blame games. While there are less gifted kids, we shouldn't generalize and abandon all hope.

11 hours ago, Kf6vci said:

Allow students to ask questions! Offer them choices, like an English Club. 

The whole operation at schools needs to become customer centric, just like AMAZON has managed in their line of business.

Lots of Thai teachers bask in their glory and forget the long-suffering kids. Yes, there are well behaved kids who couldn't read English in M2. The school wasn't interested in letting me  t r y  to help them in my free time / after lunch etc. (I asked for a Thai speaking assistant, not extra pay).

We all need to take responsibility and not play blame games. While there are less gifted kids, we shouldn't generalize and abandon all hope.

Some did and like you, no support and even better sanctions for helping.  

You hit it; Thai Educational administrators with good intentions but lack and are out of touch with educational realities.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived