Philippines versus Thailand.....

robertthebruce

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Filipinos I found to be friendlier than the Thais towards foreigners in general (cue the accusations that I obviously don't know enough Thais). Very good sense of humour and fun. Not so much hang ups, chips on shoulder or "face" nonsense. Beautiful women and more curvaceous than most Asians. 

There are some beautiful places in both countries, however I haven't seen the same level of slums or begging in thailand as I have seen in Philippines. Some parts of Manila are bogging beyond belief and the child begging is heartbreaking.

As far as as infrastructure goes would you believe there is somewhere worse than Thailand? Trying to get anything done in flipland is a test of patience of the highest order. The usual answer to an enquiry is "yes sur, sorry no can't do." Case in point, the local mobile network shop permanently had the phone of the hook so you could not contact a communications company! Had to go into the office instead and guess what... all assistants glued to their mobiles.

Food is better here if you want local cuisine. Price wise, similar to here... you can live on very little or go nuts at a five star joint.

12 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

The Filipinos I found to be friendlier than the Thais towards foreigners in general (cue the accusations that I obviously don't know enough Thais). Very good sense of humour and fun. Not so much hang ups, chips on shoulder or "face" nonsense. Beautiful women and more curvaceous than most Asians. 

There are some beautiful places in both countries, however I haven't seen the same level of slums or begging in thailand as I have seen in Philippines. Some parts of Manila are bogging beyond belief and the child begging is heartbreaking.

As far as as infrastructure goes would you believe there is somewhere worse than Thailand? Trying to get anything done in flipland is a test of patience of the highest order. The usual answer to an enquiry is "yes sur, sorry no can't do." Case in point, the local mobile network shop permanently had the phone of the hook so you could not contact a communications company! Had to go into the office instead and guess what... all assistants glued to their mobiles.

Food is better here if you want local cuisine. Price wise, similar to here... you can live on very little or go nuts at a five star joint.

+1

Have been to Angeles City only and won't be returning soon.  Grunge of immense proportions, kids sleeping rough on the walking street their bodies covered with sores and flies, local food of low quality/taste, old guys peddling single cigarettes on the walkway, trikes, driven by underemployed young men, cover every street corner hoping for a fare, teenage security guards at drugstores with big pistol on hip...but yes, the girls speak a bit more English than the Thais (in general) and  have  far greater desire to depart the PI so cuddle up closely and quickly to every farang.

I talked with a  OZ bloke who said getting long term  visa, or  90/180 day stamp  very easy with cash under the table so he had no interest in any discussions with local Immigration. 

Other regions may be much better and have heard Boracay very pleasant, as a holiday venue.

Have lived in the Philippines for a year + and currently working and living here in BKK. Most of what Sharktooth posted is pretty much true.

Women: Not to paint all with the same brush, but I much prefer Filipino women. I find as a Westerner, I have more in common with the Catholic mindset than the Buddhist way of thinking. Women are much more genuine, warm and family orientated. And, English is a huge bonus.

Food: Thailand hands down.

Costs: Street food is horrible or non-existant in the Philippines which forces one to eat in restaurants which can become costly. Accommodations also more expensive.

Manila, except for a few pockets is a s*&^hole, but once out the city the country is beautiful.

I have lived in Bangkok long-term, but have spent a large amount of time in Manila and the Phils.

Above comments all true, food better here (local food anyway).

English language and cultural similarities better in Phils.

Personal security issues exist in much of the Phils, whereas that does not occur here in most cases.

Visa's said to be easier there.

Personally, for me, it would be Thailand, without a doubt.

Surely it depends on whether we're talking about tourist/beach areas or non-tourist/non-beach areas?  Entirely different in all cases, but particularly when it comes to Phillipines v Thailand I would have thought.

Plus we need a Westerner who has lived in both countries for at least 5 years to offer opinions on the similar location in which they lived.  Were they comparable in the sense of the above points?

It seems unlikely there are many on this forum who have this sort of knowledge.

Edited by dick dasterdly

re

Visa's said to be easier there

a friend whos seriously thinking about moving there sent me this about long term visas in the philapines

which doesnt sound very easy or cheap to me :)

i spent a week in an area called malate near manila to escape thailands songkran last april

and it is a s###hole but i walked the streets every day and never felt threatend once

but i aggree about the street kids being everywhere the only thing i liked about manila

was its swarming with cats !

im a cat lover so i was in seventh heaven all week playing with them and i was up to date with my rabies shots so i didnt have to worry about that either

im in kuala lumpur for xmas at the mo but im off to angeles city on the 27 th for the week

covering new year so ill let you know what i think of there next week

then baloy beach in cubic bay for ? days untill i get bored and go back home to chiang mai

dave2

visa long term to phiilipinrs details 29 nov 16 20161129_142815.jpg

manila city pile of 8 cats 10 apr 16 DSC05396.jpg

manila city pile of 6 cats 10 apr 16 DSC05409.jpg

manila street kids 14 apr 6 DSC05525.JPG

kuala lumpur petronas twin towers 21 dec 16 .20161221_115538.jpg

2 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

7-11 in Thailand you walk in buy your stufff and leave. 7-11 in the Philippines armed guard at the door and swamped by child beggars when you leave. I haven't been for 20 years so it may have changed.

20 years ago the  7/11 were still non existing in Phills.

4-5 Years ago I went to Angeles City to escape Songkran.

I went with an old Philippines hand. I asked before we went about obtaining cash. No problem ATM, no charge.

I took some $ and second day we went to Bank. I watched the ATM 'Eat' the Card of man in front of me and so I would not try my 'Lifeline'.

Into bank up to a young lady at desk.

I placed my ATM card and passport on her desk and requested 200$ in pesos.

She Screamed, stood up and ran away. Faster then I can write the event.

I then heard the sound I will never forget as 2 Pump action Shot Guns where cocked, loaded and as I turned the 2 security guards where turning and pointing in my direction.

Most sobering, I have seen what guns can do in my time and had no desire to say hello.

The girl came back very upset and she says, Please do not ask me to cash your request. If your card is forged I am responsible and will lose same amount of money.

My friend intervened and suggested we speak to owner of our hotel a friend of his.

First time I visited was back in Marcos days and the bar owners thought he was great. The New President did not dream up the idea of shooting criminals, kept the streets clean back then.

john

1, 2 & 3 for Thailand.

Actually I have lived in both countries for 5 years (actually much longer in Thailand) and find everything posted to be on target.  There are maybe two advantages in PI - the people have much better English and are much more in-tune with long term relationships if that is a desire (and as mentioned much more willing to relocate) and for those loving beach areas there are countless options available.  What will happen under current leadership is anyone's guess but in general anything requiring official approvals requires under the table money.  Visa to stay is about the only exception as they can be easily renewed for set fee.  And yes it is the wild west with gunslingers protecting every establishment - does not provide that safe feeling for customers.

3 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

7-11 in Thailand you walk in buy your stufff and leave. 7-11 in the Philippines armed guard at the door and swamped by child beggars when you leave. I haven't been for 20 years so it may have changed.

Some 7/11's have two armed guards these days and very few child beggars if you are not in Manila.

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually I have lived in both countries for 5 years (actually much longer in Thailand) and find everything posted to be on target.  There are maybe two advantages in PI - the people have much better English and are much more in-tune with long term relationships if that is a desire (and as mentioned much more willing to relocate) and for those loving beach areas there are countless options available.  What will happen under current leadership is anyone's guess but in general anything requiring official approvals requires under the table money.  Visa to stay is about the only exception as they can be easily renewed for set fee.  And yes it is the wild west with gunslingers protecting every establishment - does not provide that safe feeling for customers.

Actually the gunslingers make me feel more secure. 

This is an interesting topic for me as I consider spending some time in PI. One topic has just been touched on and I'm curious about personal safety there compared to Thailand. After 10 years I have concluded that Thailand is a bit of The Wild West. More people are packing than I ever imagined and to some degree a farang can be hurt or killed by a Thai with impunity I think. It is even worse in the PI? Muggings? Angry Pinoys? What?

Just now, captnhoy said:

This is an interesting topic for me as I consider spending some time in PI. One topic has just been touched on and I'm curious about personal safety there compared to Thailand. After 10 years I have concluded that Thailand is a bit of The Wild West. More people are packing than I ever imagined and to some degree a farang can be hurt or killed by a Thai with impunity I think. It is even worse in the PI? Muggings? Angry Pinoys? What?

I keep my ear to the ground and hardly ever hear of any foreigner being mugged here in the Phils. What I have found though is the Philippina women have a greater desire to go and live abroad, this reduces the actual numbers of foreigners living here in the Phils.

1 minute ago, captnhoy said:

No way IMHO.  Much less chance here than in PI and believe police set up is very common in PI.  Here police have other ways to make ends meet.  Although understand it may appear that way due to the much higher tourist numbers in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No way IMHO.  Much less chance here than in PI and believe police set up is very common in PI.  Here police have other ways to make ends meet.  Although understand it may appear that way due to the much higher tourist numbers in Thailand.

Just stay away from the Manila Angeles areas and the Phils is ok.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Surely it depends on whether we're talking about tourist/beach areas or non-tourist/non-beach areas?  Entirely different in all cases, but particularly when it comes to Phillipines v Thailand I would have thought.

Plus we need a Westerner who has lived in both countries for at least 5 years to offer opinions on the similar location in which they lived.  Were they comparable in the sense of the above points?

It seems unlikely there are many on this forum who have this sort of knowledge.

I have lived about ten years in each country. The first time in the PI was 1967, first time in Thailand 1968.  I have consistently visited each country many times over the years.  

Thailand has a more advanced infrastructure--civil and technological. One point I like, is that clean toilets are rather common in Thailand. Thai food shows much more imagination and is far better prepared. Expenses for lodging, utilities and food may even be cheaper in Thailand.  The Thai women come in more varied sizes, shapes and skin color. My wife is Filipina, but she prefers Thailand. However, she is an American citizen and has lived in the States and all over the world with me; so she is not the typical Filipina.  

The Philippines is much cheaper for alcohol and cigarettes. The ladies are more willing to please; they are all ready to leave the PI or set-up house in the PI with their jack-pot. Perhaps because they speak English, the sweet mouth-silver tongued farang can score more easily. The PI has many more mountains, beaches and islands; so a much prettier country--if you can avoid the garbage. Immigration hassles are less--the big plus is if you are married to a Filipina, you get a one year visa exempt status, every year. Money works for single foreigners to get visas. Crime and corruption in the PI makes Thailand appear pristine--you cannot even leave your house unoccupied; if you do it will be burglarized. However, my wife was robbed at gun point here in Thailand and not in the PI; so crime exists in both places.

So, for an alcohol-swilling, tobacco-burning sexpat; the PI may be a better choice. If you just want a good woman to take care of you; the PI may be a better choice. If you want less immigration hassles, the PI may be a better choice.  If you like more advanced technology, cleaner toilets, better food, cheaper rent; and don't forget, the opportunity to work as an English teacher, Thailand may be the  better choice.

I know expats here who swear they will never leave Thailand; I know expats there who swear they will never leave the PI--so, as my grandpappy used to say: "You pays your money and takes your choice."