Army officers told to shape up or face shipping out

rooster59

Army officers told to shape up or face shipping out

231201.jpg

Middle-ranking army officers of the ranks of major up to colonel were told to shape up or they may be shipped out, especially those in combat units.

Army Commander-in-Chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart on Friday inspected the annual physical tests of 359 middle-ranking officers at the stadium of the Army Club.

The tests include sit-ups, push-ups and two-kilometre run. For troopers in the combat units, their passing grade for the tests is a minimum of 70 percent while officers in the non-combat units, the passing grades range from 50-55 percent.

The army chief said that it was his policy for the officers to be physical fit and the tests were designed to test their physical fitness.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-officers-told-to-shape-up-or-face-shipping-out/

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-24

should be mandatory for them all, when I was serving we had to pass tests every year to maintain our status in the units we served in, it included all serving personal having to all pass the same tests, officers included as they do not get special privileges due to their rank when they are in tactical situations. From memory it was a 2k run in greens, boots, a fully loaded pack, full webbing and rifle in 18 minutes, we also had to do runs weekly but this changed with different units to include more requirements

2 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Army? More like Boy Scouts.pass rates 70% and 50% so if you need to do 2 sit ups and can only do one you still pass? 

Not a good example....2 situps??

I'm sure the test Inclufdes more than 2!!!

Unable to edit typos.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Check the police force too.

My daughter just spent time with a Sheriff's department in North Texas (she studies criminology and forensic science). She went out on patrols, shooting range, with the SWAT team training , prisons, courts, - the lot.

She said that the SWAT team members were very very fit, and trained very hard. Seriously impressive. But the patrol deputies, whilst very professional, really helpful and great hosts were a tad on the rotund side - too many donuts? :-)

The fitness standards in British forces are very variable IME. For example West Mercia used to have  Chief Constable who insisted on fitness and officers had their body mass and fitness levels checked. They had an ex-RAF PTI leading the program. Whereas neighboring West Midlands seemed to go for the overweight Policeman Plod look.

Here also seems very variable. See some really fit young very smart officers, but a lot that ain't!

If we are talking about the Armed forces especially the Army I had to undergo a routine test every four monthsa, 10 mile run in two hours fully loaded with pack,rifle combat gear, , immediately after which carry a guy 100 metres, jump a 6 foot ditch and lastly immediately shoot at a target 100 yards away scoring 7/10 minimum, anyone under 40 had to do it including officers and senior ranks. Not do it in the time constraints again and again until you either moved or retired easy really.

That's seem a shocking piece of news when army officers have to be told to shape up. I thought that it is their professional intergrity and self discipline as military officers to be fit at all times and not wait for their annual test. I am sure most officers in the RTA take their fitness very seriously. It is mostly those senior officers that invest most of their time in matters that ain't military like politics and the good life that have allow their fitness to deteriorate and end up looking like dumpy. Those are bad role models. 

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

If we are talking about the Armed forces especially the Army I had to undergo a routine test every four monthsa, 10 mile run in two hours fully loaded with pack,rifle combat gear, , immediately after which carry a guy 100 metres, jump a 6 foot ditch and lastly immediately shoot at a target 100 yards away scoring 7/10 minimum, anyone under 40 had to do it including officers and senior ranks. Not do it in the time constraints again and again until you either moved or retired easy really.

Somehow it reminds me of the story of the guy who wanted to qualify for the Mounties.

He had to wrestle a native bear, make love with an Eskimo woman......

He had been drinking and got the instructions mixed up.   I'm sure you all know the story.

11 hours ago, seajae said:

should be mandatory for them all, when I was serving we had to pass tests every year to maintain our status in the units we served in, it included all serving personal having to all pass the same tests, officers included as they do not get special privileges due to their rank when they are in tactical situations. From memory it was a 2k run in greens, boots, a fully loaded pack, full webbing and rifle in 18 minutes, we also had to do runs weekly but this changed with different units to include more requirements

I woz waiting for the 1st post of ' When I woz serving'  ?

4 hours ago, chainarong said:

Wouldn't matter if they were 120 kilo's over weight they wont be fighting many battles , except against their own population............................:coffee1:

The only battles they will be fighting are against Drink, Drugs, an Money.

???

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That's seem a shocking piece of news when army officers have to be told to shape up. I thought that it is their professional intergrity and self discipline as military officers to be fit at all times and not wait for their annual test. I am sure most officers in the RTA take their fitness very seriously. It is mostly those senior officers that invest most of their time in matters that ain't military like politics and the good life that have allow their fitness to deteriorate and end up looking like dumpy. Those are bad role models. 

Ah, you expect professional integrity for RTA officers, but not for politicians. How surprising.

My landlord's an army major and recently took up cycling so bought all the appropriate gear and became to the complete Lance Armstrong lookalike.

I've seen him out and about but the thing is he only rides a short distance before stopping to talk to everyone and anyone in order he can be seen and he takes masses of selfies in appropriate poses.

On 24/12/2016 at 4:33 PM, masuk said:

Somehow it reminds me of the story of the guy who wanted to qualify for the Mounties.

He had to wrestle a native bear, make love with an Eskimo woman......

He had been drinking and got the instructions mixed up.   I'm sure you all know the story.

You know Eskimo (inuit ) husbands will let their wives sleep with a visitor eh.