Whatever happened to The Avenues?

Grusa

On Monday, my wife and I went shopping as usual, including Villa at The Avenues. All was normal, the Outlet Mall was functioning, apparently as normal. Today, the Outlet Mall is gone! Two floors of it, windows, lights, stock, fixtures and fittings all stripped out and gone! - leaving yet again two empt floors of retail space, not that they were needed!

does anyone know what happened?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slowly dying.

As an occasional visitor I notice that quite clearly.

Use the entrance from Soi 15 and it has a "deserted" look/feel.

Open air shopping centers in hot climate.

Epic failure.

And too many competitors.

Another mall, another mall, another mall ...

Even Pattaya seems to have limits.

Yes the Au Bon Pan coffee even closed.  The place was always fairly busy.

I like going to the movie there.  The theaters are big and nice and not crowded.

But who knows a tear down and some condos would not be surprising as the location is ideal for that.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Slowly dying.

As an occasional visitor I notice that quite clearly.

Use the entrance from Soi 15 and it has a "deserted" look/feel.

Open air shopping centers in hot climate.

Epic failure.

And too many competitors.

Another mall, another mall, another mall ...

Even Pattaya seems to have limits.

Yes probably true.  The new Terminal 21 will be amazing and #1 when it opens.  Central will move to #2.  The rest will be struggling.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes probably true.  The new Terminal 21 will be amazing and #1 when it opens.  Central will move to #2.  The rest will be struggling.

Sounds about right.

My theory is the new Central Marina was designed to be the more of a draw for Thais and Terminal 21 will have a stronger focus on tourists. Of course everyone will go to both, but Marina needs a niche identity to thrive with that inevitably strong nearby competition. 

As far as the Avenue Mall ... yes, things don't look good. 

Hey how about even ONE mall in JOMTIEN!?! 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But there is a new British restaurant that opened in the closed All American place in that location. Very BRAVE of them to open in that location ... :coffee1:

I think it's even less obvious what a "British" restaurant would serve than some of the other ethnicities that have opened and closed there. And I'm not sure I would bother climbing the stairs to find out.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The new Terminal 21 will be amazing and #1 when it opens.

Have you seen the Terminal 21 in Asoke? The food court levels are very good and I would go there just for that, but the Gourmet Market is ridiculously expensive. As for the other shops, they all seem to be selling the sort of "designer" nonsense that I would not buy in a million years. So I'm not sure how amazing it will be.

Avenue could be doing better but it is very poorly managed.  No imagination, no marketing, no maintenance, no design improvements, no smarts, no excitement, no thinking outside the box, no 'there' there, etc..  Too many no's.  The minute they signed the Outlet Mall to rent all that undesirable hard-to-rent upper level space, they should have banned the tacky outdoor stalls selling a lot of the same stuff on the front lawn and redeveloped the whole front area--like Central Marina just did with its front.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I think it's even less obvious what a "British" restaurant would serve than some of the other ethnicities that have opened and closed there. And I'm not sure I would bother climbing the stairs to find out.

Spam, chips,eggs and beans, spam, eggs, chips and beans, spam, beans, eggs and chips, spam, spam, chips and beans, spam, spam, spam and chips, spam, spam, spam and spam. 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds about right.

My theory is the new Central Marina was designed to be the more of a draw for Thais and Terminal 21 will have a stronger focus on tourists. Of course everyone will go to both, but Marina needs a niche identity to thrive with that inevitably strong nearby competition. 

Nite Market Mall good enough.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes the Au Bon Pan coffee even closed.  The place was always fairly busy.

I like going to the movie there.  The theaters are big and nice and not crowded.

But who knows a tear down and some condos would not be surprising as the location is ideal for that.

Good, they wanted to charge me for wifi.

9 hours ago, newnative said:

Avenue could be doing better but it is very poorly managed.  No imagination, no marketing, no maintenance, no design improvements, no smarts, no excitement, no thinking outside the box, no 'there' there, etc..  Too many no's.  The minute they signed the Outlet Mall to rent all that undesirable hard-to-rent upper level space, they should have banned the tacky outdoor stalls selling a lot of the same stuff on the front lawn and redeveloped the whole front area--like Central Marina just did with its front.

but they  still havw tacky outdoor stalls at Central Marina :giggle:

These places just don't get it.  There isn't a large enough consumer market to support it.  The low income Thais don't use it, the lower income retirees don't use it much.  Keep building high end malls with designer shopping and good luck with that.  The place to me had a lousy design.  Somewhat interesting, but a lousy layout

Just be a little patient........

Now there are huge complexes about to be finished with 100-s of condo's.

Centara Azure has just opened its doors and its Residences and Suites part will accommodate hundreds of tennants. 

Tulip will finish in 18 months another project with hundreds of condo's. 

All inhabitants will use Avenue as the shortest route to 2nd Road and therefore, the Avenue will revive and survive. 

8 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Just be a little patient........

Now there are huge complexes about to be finished with 100-s of condo's.

Centara Azure has just opened its doors and its Residences and Suites part will accommodate hundreds of tennants. 

Tulip will finish in 18 months another project with hundreds of condo's. 

All inhabitants will use Avenue as the shortest route to 2nd Road and therefore, the Avenue will revive and survive. 

"All inhabitants" do you mean they have actually sold some of these units..........:whistling:

On 12/24/2016 at 2:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Sounds about right.

More like the Terminal 21 is for the hi-so Thais from Bangkok to compete with Central and Marina is for the low-so farangs

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Marina isn't all that loso. I agree the Avenue has a hard road. Get it. (Groan.)

I'll maybe get around to visiting it (Marina) for the novelty factor if I'm in the area but as I haven't needed to be in that place for 10+ years.

Never liked it since they airconned the place.

Archived