Whatever happened to The Avenues?

Grusa

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No you didn't, not any more than all the other constructions you "know" will fail, like CentralFestival.

Central Festival is really your showpiece to make your point, isn't it? Probably because it is the ONLY more or less successful mall in Pattaya, but actually because there are many people inside joying the free aircon and have nothing else to do doesn't necessary means it is a success.

Why are you so quiet about Harbor these days, which would also do very well according to you, while everyone with just a little business sense knew it would fail? And yes it failed already.

How is the ice rink and fitness first doing in Harbor these days?

What about The Bay?

And how you think Central Beach will fare once Terminal 21 opens? Yes it will be as dead as Harbor, The Avenue and The Bay.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Allstars said:

Central Festival is really your showpiece to make your point, isn't it? Probably because it is the ONLY more or less successful mall in Pattaya, but actually because there are many people inside joying the free aircon and have nothing else to do doesn't necessary means it is a success.

Why are you so quiet about Harbor these days, which would also do very well according to you, while everyone with just a little business sense knew it would fail? And yes it failed already.

What about The Bay?

And how you think Central Beach will fare once Terminal 21 opens? Yes it will be as dead as Harbor, The Avenue and The Bay.

If a mall is a collection of stores under one roof, then Central Festival is not the only successful one in Pattaya.  Big C Extra and Big C South Pattaya are doing just fine, as are the Tesco Lotus shopping centers.  Royal Garden seems to be doing ok, too.  Was at the remodeled Central Marina on a week night last week and it was very busy.  The jury is still out on The Bay and Harbor.  So far I think only 2 stores have opened, McDonalds and Starbucks, at The Bay.  I can't check Starbucks but when we drive down the soi next to McDonalds it always seems to be doing a good business.  I think the Bay location is good with a lot of tourists around there; it will just need to find the right product mix--likely familiar chain brands.  Harbor needs to get all that office space on the upper floors rented--and the ice rink opened.  Offer steep rent discounts the first few years. The office workers need to take up some of the slack for the slow times during the week when all the kids are in school.  It should be offering very steep rent discounts for all the stores now there until all the office space is rented and the rink opened--but it probably isn't because mall managers here don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer.  I was at Harbor the other day and I noticed that they have added a lot of merchandise stalls in the mall corridors--it makes the mall, which is very narrow in the first place, look even more narrow, claustrophobic, and cluttered. Very bad idea. But, even worse, when your regular stores, which are all mostly small, too, are already struggling for customers, why would you add all those little stores in the walkway selling the same stuff to steal customers from the original renters in the actual store spaces?  Madness.  Maybe you could do that down the road when the mall has established itself but not now.  Avenue makes the same mistake with all those stalls on the front lawn and how's that working out for the inside? 

What about The Bay?

Harbor has failed already? How do you figure that? That the crowds are down from the opening week madhouse? Yes some places there won't make it but premature to call it a fail.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:53 AM, Allstars said:

Central Festival is really your showpiece to make your point, isn't it? Probably because

Unquestionably because it's the irrefutable example of the silliness and nonsense posted here about malls in Thailand. However, I could use Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang just as well. It was also doomed to fail back in 2011, no customers seen, Fixed Pie rule invoked, Got One Already, not enough farangs, those Golden Eggs Layers:

there were 2 Big Craps already in Pattaya . . . the south pattaya branch is a loss making shop as it is empty all the time. . . . Now there is a new Big crap Xtra which again caters to those same people,so where do you think their customers will come from? . . . when I passed through the checkout I noticed that there were a total of 5 counters open with none of them more than 2 customers.

I dunno why our Big C doomsters have gone silent. ;)

it is the ONLY more or less successful mall in Pattaya but actually because there are many people inside joying the free aircon and have nothing else to do doesn't necessary means it is a success.

No, just more nonsense. The TVF Poster Looking Not Buying rule has been invoked from the beginning and in recent years the Chinese Don't Spend. I've quoted elsewhere a quarterly report from CPN verifying that they do spend, no matter what ignorant, bigoted TVF posters claim. The vast expense of providing "free" aircon for the poor Thais (Only Farang Have Money) merely to walk around in hasn't kept over 300 shops in business for the last 8 years to the bewilderment of ace TVF economic experts. Not surprisingly, no underperformance from CPN Pattaya appears on CPN's financial reports. In fact, it's doing so well that they invested a pile in remodeling Central Center, now Central Marina, as well. Overall, CPN's been doing great in a relatively tough economy:

Period
as of
Y/E '15
31/12/2015
Q3 '16
30/09/2016
Financial Ratio  
ROA(%) 10.37 11.23
ROE(%) 18.12 19.03
Net Profit Margin(%) 29.60 31.35

If instead of sneering and posturing as economic gurus our mall doomsters had faced reality and invested a million in CPN shares, they'd be worth 6.65 million today. (Yeah--ENRON!!!) Yet they still feel wise. :) Good laugh, really. But if that doesn't call into question the My Eyeballs At Random Intervals measure, then what does?

If our near-sighted posters can't see anyone buying in Central and believe it's in business to provide free aircon, then why would they think any differently about Harbor or anywhere else? ;) When you count 10% of the real shops vacant (not among the absurdly excessive number of mobile phone shops/booths) then you'll have an objective measure to claim Harbor is in trouble. But while you're sneering, I think I'll just go ahead and eat, drink, shop, and watch wimmen in all of 'em anyway. In fact I enjoyed an double expresso in Harbor Starbucks yesterday to a fine Motown playlist. Went by JIB and later stood in line at MaxValue to checkout. BTW, in the animal show at Harbor there's a fine exhibit of lizards for any of members who might feel some affinity. ;) And the ice skating rink is being worked on. :)

I leave it to our economists to explain how all the shops along S. Pattaya Rd. & Pattaya Klang have survived decades, come & go, even though the roads aren't air conditioned and your Eyes At Random Intervals, walking by, will not see any lines at the cash registers. ;) Could it be possible there's something fundamentally wrong with TVF economics?

Now The Avenue should I think turn itself into a kind of office complex and consolidate some of those numerous clinics around town. Or maybe OEM offices. A Samsung TV remote shop would do extremely well. Also a cheap whey protein outlet. ;) Too many in one place? Not in Asia, though farangs have an awfully hard time understanding the model.

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No, just more nonsense. The TVF Poster Looking Not Buying rule has been invoked from the beginning and in recent years the Chinese Don't Spend. I've quoted elsewhere a quarterly report from CPN verifying that they do spend, no matter what ignorant, bigoted TVF posters claim.

You pretend to be more knowledgeable than any other poster on this forum about economics, malls and whatever else, but you fail to understand that CPN figures have nothing to do with Chinese spending or not spending?

Central get their revenue from the shop leases, not from customer spendings, and many of the shops in Central are part of nationwide chains and have long leases.

For those shops name recognition also plays a part in the reason why they have a branch in there.

So if customers don't spend, even for a few years in a row, that doesn't mean they will close the loss making shop, and it means even less that CPN's revenue will get a dent.

If you really want to know how business is in Thailand, take a taxi to some of the other Central or Tukcoms in Chonburi or Rayong. But I understand from your posts, the furthest you have ever travelled in Thailand is between beach road Pattaya and Sukhumvit, and the occasional trip to the airport.

I can post pictures here from I took at Central and Tukcom Chonburi end of December 2016, but you're gonna excuse to ridicule them any way, I'm sure.

Now please tell us why the ice rink and fitness first in Harbor, which without doubt would be completed by the end of 2016 according to your previous posts ridiculing other posters, haven't been materialized as of end of January 2017.

Edited by Allstars

16 hours ago, Allstars said:

So if customers don't spend, even for a few years in a row, that doesn't mean they will close the loss making shop, and it means even less that CPN's revenue will get a dent.

Actually they do, a couple of Central's own restaurants franchise even in Central Festival has closed down within the first year of opening, These are brands that are successful in Bangkok, I recall Pepper Lunch, which is Central Restaurant Group's own brands hightail it out around the 6 months after the mall opened, the location is where the Steak Buffet is now

The other is Coco Ichibanya not central's but owned by Fuji the Japanese restaurant this is Japanese Curry 'only' restaurant on the top floor on the corner that exit to the carpark, it managed to stay open for about a year and a half

Another is 'Little Home' which is  an ancient Thai 'cafe-styled' shop from Bangkok, they have pancakes, bakery and Thai foods, it is now 'on the table' Japanese hipster cafe

41 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Actually they do, a couple of Central's own restaurants franchise even in Central Festival has closed down within the first year of opening, These are brands that are successful in Bangkok, I recall Pepper Lunch, which is Central Restaurant Group's own brands hightail it out around the 6 months after the mall opened, the location is where the Steak Buffet is now

The other is Coco Ichibanya not central's but owned by Fuji the Japanese restaurant this is Japanese Curry 'only' restaurant on the top floor on the corner that exit to the carpark, it managed to stay open for about a year and a half

Another is 'Little Home' which is  an ancient Thai 'cafe-styled' shop from Bangkok, they have pancakes, bakery and Thai foods, it is now 'on the table' Japanese hipster cafe

Your observation would have had more impact if the restaurant spaces had remained vacant after the restaurants closed down.  But, as you stated, other restaurants took their places so Central is still making money on the rents.  It's natural for mall shops to close and others to open.

18 hours ago, Allstars said:

You pretend to be more knowledgeable than any other poster on this forum about economics, malls and whatever else, but you fail to understand that CPN figures have nothing to do with Chinese spending or not spending?

Merely common sense, pal, that malls aren't making money by selling free air conditioning. Though you may not find it obvious, there's just a fundamental contradiction between "selling" and "free." And if they're making money selling free aircon as you earlier claimed then they must be making it from Chinese as well.

Now forum members have the choice whether to believe CPN, whose reports are verified by KPMG, or Allstars and our other experts who KNOW otherwise. Yes, Chinese spending has had something to do with it:

Improved performance of existing projects e.g. at CentralWorld, CentralPlaza Lardprao, CentralPlaza Pattaya Beach, etc., supported by spending from foreign tourists mainly from China and Korea during their summer travel season. . . . On a q-o-q basis, revenues from hotel operation increased by 6% thanks mainly to higher occupancy and room rate at Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel with occupancy high at 92% in the third quarter, enhancing RevPar up 4% q-o-q as a result of an increasing number of Chinese and Korean tourist visits during their travel season in July-August. . . . continuing growth in hotel business with higher occupancy in this quarter on the back of increasing number of foreign tourists visiting Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel. . . . However, the food court at CentralFestival Pattaya Beach experienced revenue growth, driven by higher traffic from tourist visits in the third quarter.

Central Pattana PCL, Performance Overview: Overall economic condition in 3Q15

And since all TVF economic experts absolutely KNOW that Chinese tourists only spend money in Chinese venues like Central and the Hilton (and now Tesco Lotus and Foodland, as I saw quite a few in there recently), we have the completely bizarre situation whereby Thai banks kindly provide up to 166 billion baht to Chinese tourists, and therefore to China, for no possible reason other than for Immigration to collect visa fees over one holiday!

The nation’s seven commercial banks have prepared up to 166 billion baht for spending during the holiday, up by 9.7 billion last year. Bangkok Bank has reserved 35 billion baht for the period, Siam Commercial Bank has prepared 33 billion, Krungsri Bank has set aside 28.6 billion, Krungthai Bank has readied 20 billion and Kasikorn Bank has made sure to have 40 billion baht on hand.

Banks confident Chinese New Year spending to be lively

Oddly, as TVF economists sneer at TAT's figures of rising numbers of tourists (and are still in denial about the construction of Suvarnabhumi Airport), the banks and the Mastercard Asia Pacific Destinations Index seem to agree more that the Chinese numbers are in fact rising, perhaps 16% annually according to the brokerage CLSA. Yes, dear GLOBAL CRASH! forecasters, CLSA took into account your knee-jerk about any economic slowdown:

But rising individualism and financial independence are seeing more and more young Chinese choose to defy custom, while at the same time tourism and outbound travel are surging. . . . Growing numbers are also seizing the opportunity for tourism, despite slowing growth in the world's second-largest economy. . . . Chinese travellers are by far the biggest spenders in the world, splashing $165 billion in countries they visited last year, according to the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.

New Year, New Travel: More Chinese Choose Tourism Over Tradition

Central get their revenue from the shop leases, not from customer spendings, and many of the shops in Central are part of nationwide chains and have long leases.

For those shops name recognition also plays a part in the reason why they have a branch in there.

More nonsense and ignorance. Central gets revenue from a variety of sources as you may read here: Company Profile. Nor are shops making money by selling free name recognition while making lease payments. Note again "selling free." Many of those shops BTW only exist in malls, yet TVF economists see the same phenomenon of Looking Not Buying in all of them--in Thailand, 'cause we all know Thais have no money to spend in malls. :)

But now that you've determined that name recognition is the product they're selling for free, then you've achieved an astonishing medical breakthrough: the cure for TVF Poster Mall Bewilderment Syndrome. Congrats! Member chrisandsu can now rest easier. So it appears then that actually the mall isn't failing nor are the shops within! This is radical. I fear some our members will now lose the will to live.

Now please tell us why the ice rink and fitness first in Harbor, which without doubt would be completed by the end of 2016 according to your previous posts ridiculing other posters, haven't been materialized as of end of January 2017

It's too bad that lying isn't against forum rules, as we have so much of it here and posters so often resort to it when trounced in an argument. Me, I know better than to predict schedules for project completions in Thailand. That's the prerogative of our experts, such as our ace construction engineer's prediction that The Tunnel wouldn't be completed in five years. He also predicted Harbor would fail in 6 months. :) What we love is to read some Thai projection announced somewhere then finger point if that schedule isn't adhered to as if that means something important.

Yeah, only noobs and bigots pay great attn to those posted schedules. As I wrote elsewhere,

On 10/31/2016 at 10:19 PM, JSixpack said:

After you've lived here a while longer, you'll come to realize that Thai schedules are as poetic as Thai restaurant menus. The mighty TVF Pointing Finger Of Justice believes every schedule or announced goal is some sort of ironclad contract that Thais are obligated to follow or even necessarily feel they're obligated to follow. (Well, they often do try.) Hence the fatuousness of all the sneering, based on a conveniently false assumption that merely reflects a failure to accept or even understand a basic cultural difference. Different Cultures See Deadlines Differently I suppose there's at least one reason in there that the average Thai seems a lot happier than the average TVF poster.

If Harbor's schedule, which seems to me their business, is so important to you, then go ask about at the office yourself rather than continually asking me for spoon feeding. I doubt that you will, as you probably realize it makes no difference to your "point," which after all isn't based on any objective measurement but merely the ol' My Eyeballs At Random Intervals. Let us know when them eyeballs see 10% of the significant shop space vacant after the mall has been open for 3 years. (The At All Times rule has already proven terribly misleading.) Then you'll have something. Meanwhile, tell us how all those shops on Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang, roads that lack air conditioning!, are making money selling name recognition too. :)

Took us a while but guess we've finally uncovered the source of The Avenue failure!

Edited by JSixpack

Harbor Mall is very unappealing and dead from my observation.  What is there to do if you don't have kids?

I would much rather go to Avenue even with its issues.  Have a meal or a coffee, go to the movie, after go to the market or take a walk on the Beach.

So now they are putting an over priced Fitness First at Harbor?  Good luck.

Edited by bkk6060

On 24/12/2016 at 2:43 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes the Au Bon Pan coffee even closed.  The place was always fairly busy.

I like going to the movie there.  The theaters are big and nice and not crowded.

But who knows a tear down and some condos would not be surprising as the location is ideal for that.

Sad to see Au Bon Pain go. There used to be another branch in front of Royal Garden Plaza but that is no more as far as I could see.

Are there any other branches of ABP open now or soon to be opened in Pattaya?

And why can't I find a nice coffee shop in Jomtien (good coffee, comfortable seats, air-con, and newspapers)?

39 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Sad to see Au Bon Pain go. There used to be another branch in front of Royal Garden Plaza but that is no more as far as I could see.

And why can't I find a nice coffee shop in Jomtien (good coffee, comfortable seats, air-con, and newspapers)?

Maybe Back Fabrik?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d6975861-Reviews-Back_Fabrik-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

ABP in Harbor, nice and quiet!

On 1/22/2017 at 0:51 PM, Motown239 said:

Frankly, I don't see visitors to major shopping center carrying retail bags out of the malls.

I'm wondering whether the shopping centers and business' within are "money laundering" facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Really? I'm always lugging bags out of major shopping centers. I see plenty of others doing the same.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Really? I'm always lugging bags out of major shopping centers. I see plenty of others doing the same.

I don't think he's talking about a bag full of groceries from Tesco.

Edited by giddyup

Last I saw and this was a couple of weeks ago, they still have a store open at BPH, (Bangkok Hospital Pattaya).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, JSixpack said:

Unquestionably because it's the irrefutable example of the silliness and nonsense posted here about malls in Thailand. However, I could use Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang just as well. It was also doomed to fail back in 2011, no customers seen, Fixed Pie rule invoked, Got One Already, not enough farangs, those Golden Eggs Layers:

there were 2 Big Craps already in Pattaya . . . the south pattaya branch is a loss making shop as it is empty all the time. . . . Now there is a new Big crap Xtra which again caters to those same people,so where do you think their customers will come from? . . . when I passed through the checkout I noticed that there were a total of 5 counters open with none of them more than 2 customers.

I dunno why our Big C doomsters have gone silent. ;)

I noticed in Big C Xtra earlier today that 3 of the rental spaces on the upper floor were closed down.

Could this be the beginning of the end ;-)

This back and forth between the mall doomers and the guys making fun of the mall doomers is hilarious.

The doomers are a funny bunch.  They don't seem happy with their own lot in life unless they see failure all around them.   So they start cheerleading for that.  It must be all they have left to look forward to.  Seeing businesses and their buddies relationships fail.

I have not managed to find any good coffee shops in Jomtien either.  You would think someone would open an Au Bon there.

I am going to miss the Au Bon in Avenue. That was part of my morning routine most days.  They seemed to be doing quite well.

Will just have to change up my routine.  I guess I will go to Harbour now for coffee.  Last I heard there are like 6 coffee shops in there.  Seeing as how it's certain to fail according to the doomers, I should enjoy it while I can :)

Edited by lapd

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

The Reality is , No one goes there, Doom or Gloom

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Actually Robin Hood Tavern seems to be doing rather well.  I've even gone there once, enjoyed the good food and service.  Didn't seem like they're lacking in business.  Definitely no doom or gloom that I could detect.

From their Facebook page.   

20 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Actually Robin Hood Tavern seems to be doing rather well.  I've even gone there once, enjoyed the good food and service.  Didn't seem like they're lacking in business.  Definitely no doom or gloom that I could detect.

From their Facebook page.   

Sure, like most of the Sportsbars they are packed for Super Bowl or UFC.  But, I went by last night and it was sparse.  The center was pretty much a ghost town last night at 9 pm.  I went to the movie and there were about 8 people inside. Surprisingly, the bowling center was fairly busy.  I am not wishing any place fails, but I cannot see what they will do here. Those empty stores are total shells now the place is kind of eerie.  

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if we will see the same phenomena regarding shopping centres in Pattaya  that is being seen in  America where up to 1/3 of some shopping malls have been shuttered up because they have lost their tenants.

And now because of this a new crisis has developed which they have named collateral crisis-- i.e. the assets supporting a debt are no longer worth the loan balance.

On 3/8/2017 at 0:46 PM, Asiantravel said:

I wonder if we will see the same phenomena regarding shopping centres in Pattaya  that is being seen in  America where up to 1/3 of some shopping malls have been shuttered up because they have lost their tenants.

And now because of this a new crisis has developed which they have named collateral crisis-- i.e. the assets supporting a debt are no longer worth the loan balance.

No, it's not related. Online shopping is killing brick & mortar stores in the US.... just like video killed the radio star. Times change. I wonder how long the movie cinema can stay open - that's probably next to go.... because there aren't many good movies to watch these days and too many people watch them for free at home these days.

The Avenue has always been dead because it is an ill-conceived shopping mall. Considering the California Wow gym space was vacant for 4 years, in hindsight they probably would have made more money if they let them stay rent free LOL. Villa Market has gone down hill fast too. (I had more to say about it, but I better be careful).

Edited by tropo

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Robin Hood Tavern at 9 pm tonight.  DEAD. The band was playing "With or Without you".  Pretty funny.  I think tonight it was without you.

IMG_20170313_212252.jpg

IMG_20170313_212206.jpg

IMG_20170313_212223.jpg

U2 have gone downhill fast. Did you ask Bono where the band are playing on Friday ( St Paddy's day)?

It will be busy at 3am for Chelsea v Man Utd then same Tues Wed & Thurs for Champions and Europa League football, then we are into the weekend. It is a sports bar and there is no meaningful sport at 9pm in midweek. Please go back at 3 and report back tomorrow.?

Edited by champers

8 hours ago, champers said:

U2 have gone downhill fast. Did you ask Bono where the band are playing on Friday ( St Paddy's day)?

It will be busy at 3am for Chelsea v Man Utd then same Tues Wed & Thurs for Champions and Europa League football, then we are into the weekend. It is a sports bar and there is no meaningful sport at 9pm in midweek. Please go back at 3 and report back tomorrow.?

HAHA, thanks but way past my bedtime.  I am not a "soccer" fan anyway. :)