What happens when you die in Thailand?

rmicheald

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On December 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM, cloghead said:

mocy???

It takes very little brain capacity for any adult with at least a grade 3 education to figure out that "mocy" is obviously somebody's idea of a shortening of MOtorCYcle. I have capitalized the first 2 letters of MOtor and Cycle to help you to understand this abbreviation. Personally, I have never seen this before either but I figured it out for myself in about 1.5 milliseconds as I am sure most other readers did. 

Hope this helps you. 

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

It takes very little brain capacity for any adult with at least a grade 3 education to figure out that "mocy" is obviously somebody's idea of a shortening of MOtorCYcle. I have capitalized the first 2 letters of MOtor and Cycle to help you to understand this abbreviation. Personally, I have never seen this before either but I figured it out for myself in about 1.5 milliseconds as I am sure most other readers did. 

Hope this helps you. 

Why some who post here set out to humiliate/embarrass, with their extraordinary abilities at deduction, quite escapes me.

Wouldn't just typing 'MOCO  = MOtor CYcle' have been adequate?

11 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Why some who post here set out to humiliate/embarrass, with their extraordinary abilities at deduction, quite escapes me.

Wouldn't just typing 'MOCO  = MOtor CYcle' have been adequate?

But wouldn't just typing motorcycle be adequate and saved a lot of bickering?:saai: 

40 minutes ago, neeray said:

Hope this helps you. 

Lucky Einstein ! with my poor 126 intelligence quotient  , I coudn't guess what it means ; how is it to be so clever ?

OP, 
If you invest in the book "Thai Law for Foreigners" (Paiboon, ISBN 978-1-887521-57-4) you can find answer to your questions, and how to make a Last Will in Thailand; which you legally can just write on a piece of paper in your native language and have signed by two witnesses, and of course make sure your relatives can find. The book you can find in any bookshop selling English language Thai-published books. The Will need to be handled by a Thai court that will appoint an Executor, if you don't appoint one yourself in your Last Will.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:53 PM, chiang mai said:

As said, you need to draw up a Thai Will which will go through probate and this is not a quick process, my bank (UOB) tells me it's six months alone from just the banks perspective (plus court/legal times) and this is just for cash - I don't know what the impact is of having foreign beneficiaries so you should ask a lawyer. Also, lawyers fees for probate are based on a percentage value of the estate.

Do you need to name an executor?  If so, and it's, say, a member of your family back home (or any other foreigner), will that "work"?   Since probate is certain, if you DON'T give your attorney power of attorney, who handles the estate?   I'm guessing the bureaucratic burden for a foreigner to arrive and be able to act as executor is significant, and a lot to ask of someone.

Just went through this after my Thai wife died last year. See Anthony Justice at Magna Carta Law firm. Reasonable cost with an honest law firm. Leaving everything to my wife's sisters as she would have wanted. Also adding one as a signer on my bank accounts so no inheritance delay or tax. Primary residence in Pattaya already transferred to the sister.  Town house in BKK is for sale but the interim my interest have been left to the sister along with my car and all my other worldly possessions. Only thing left is to kick the bucket.

2 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Do you need to name an executor?  If so, and it's, say, a member of your family back home (or any other foreigner), will that "work"?   Since probate is certain, if you DON'T give your attorney power of attorney, who handles the estate?   I'm guessing the bureaucratic burden for a foreigner to arrive and be able to act as executor is significant, and a lot to ask of someone.

No you do not need to name an executor. But you do need a mechanism of some kind to start the ball rolling and take your Will from sitting in your desk drawer, into the hands of a lawyer and onwards into Probate Court and typically an executor would be that person. If you don't appoint an executor the Court will appoint one because the post Probate Court processes require one, the transfer of bank accounts, title deeds etc. The lawyer is only really needed for the Probate Court aspects since only certified lawyers can represent cases at the court.

Edited by chiang mai

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

It's one of my biggest worries . You want your possessions not to fall in the wrong hands .

I understand what you are saying BUT this is a third world country where the rule of law seems easily subverted :sad:

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

No you do not need to name an executor. But you do need a mechanism of some kind to start the ball rolling and take your Will from sitting in your desk drawer, into the hands of a lawyer and onwards into Probate Court and typically an executor would be that person. If you don't appoint an executor the Court will appoint one because the post Probate Court processes require one, the transfer of bank accounts, title deeds etc. The lawyer is only really needed for the Probate Court aspects since only certified lawyers can represent cases at the court.

Realistically and practically, would you want a court-appointed executor?   They're entitled to fees & expenses to be paid from the estate, right?  Especially if the estate is anything substantial, it'd be at some risk of being subverted into perhaps somewhat unscrupulous legal and administrative hands wouldn't it?   If all estate cases go through probate, and an executor is required for probate, and only certified lawyers can handle court cases including probate cases, then MUST the executor you name be a "certified lawyer"?  (If not, it sounds like the executor will nevertheless have to retain one...)

Unless I were well-connected and had a knowledgeable and thai-speaking someone I felt I could trust with executorship, I too would be worried about the disposition of my estate in Thailand, if at all significant. 

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Realistically and practically, would you want a court-appointed executor?   They're entitled to fees & expenses to be paid from the estate, right?  Especially if the estate is anything substantial, it'd be at some risk of being subverted into perhaps somewhat unscrupulous legal and administrative hands wouldn't it?   If all estate cases go through probate, and an executor is required for probate, and only certified lawyers can handle court cases including probate cases, then MUST the executor you name be a "certified lawyer"?  (If not, it sounds like the executor will nevertheless have to retain one...)

Unless I were well-connected and had a knowledgeable and thai-speaking someone I felt I could trust with executorship, I too would be worried about the disposition of my estate in Thailand, if at all significant. 

The executor is intended to be the person who initiated the whole process, overseas it, retains the lawyer and then completes the post probate processes mentioned earlier, there needs to be somebody out there who can keep an eye on the whole process and its individual parts.

Hope this helps you. 

Bit unnecessary isn't it? I can take a guess where you will Be going when you die and it ant up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A very interesting Thread I've never gave it much thought before because I haven't any assets here. I don't even have a will in the UK as everything will go to my sister. But this thread has made me think and I have a couple of questions just more out of curiosity than anything else.

1. I really don't care what happeneds to my body after I die so is it more expensive to send a body home or have a few people come over here and have the funeral here.

2. What would happen to all my things after I die would my estate agent keep my TV and give my ps4 to her son?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, akentryan said:

Just went through this after my Thai wife died last year. See Anthony Justice at Magna Carta Law firm. Reasonable cost with an honest law firm. Leaving everything to my wife's sisters as she would have wanted. Also adding one as a signer on my bank accounts so no inheritance delay or tax. Primary residence in Pattaya already transferred to the sister.  Town house in BKK is for sale but the interim my interest have been left to the sister along with my car and all my other worldly possessions. Only thing left is to kick the bucket.

"Also adding one as a signer on my bank accounts so no inheritance delay or tax."

Does this mean you converted the account to a joint one with your ex wife's sister as a co-owner,  or is it something else?

On 27/12/2016 at 5:16 AM, akentryan said:

I'm also interested to know whether you held joint bank accounts or if you merely added your wife as a signatory to your existing account - if the latter, the bank technically should have closed the account and it should have been subject to the probate process, although I do understand that different banks/people/locations don't always do things the correct way.

I think the BIG takeways for most people reading this thread are that probate will:

- cost between 100,000 and 250,000 in legal fees, and

- the process could will take between 6 months and 18 months, based on a variety of factors.

FWIW my wife is the beneficiary of both my UK and Thai wills and our house is already in her name. So she will have somewhere to live after I'm gone and hopefully the UK Will will resolve more quickly than the Thai Will. In the meantime we have a joint account that we don't touch, its purpose being to store funds that will see her through any interim period after I die. In light of this thread I may well take steps to change some of my accounts to include her name also, it does look however like there's no avoiding the legal fees at the end, grrr.