Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt dies aged 68

rooster59

Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt dies aged 68

606x341_353230.jpg

Tributes are being paid to Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt who has died in Spain at the age of 68.

A statement from his manager said the veteran British rocker died in hospital in Marbella “as a result of a severe infection, having been admitted to hospital on Thursday evening following complications to a shoulder injury incurred by a previous fall”.

Status Quo, led by Parfitt and Francis Rossi, won global fame with hits like ‘Whatever You Want,’ ‘In the Army Now’ and ‘Rockin all Over the World’.

But after longstanding health problems, including a heart attack this summer, Parfitt, a father of young twins as well as grown-up children, pulled out of the band’s tours on medical advice.

The statement from his manager Simon Porter added:

“This tragic news comes at a time when Rick was hugely looking forward to launching a solo career with an album and autobiography planned for 2017 following his departure from Status Quo’s touring activities on medical advice.

“He will be sorely missed by his family, friends, fellow band members, management, crew and his dedicated legion of fans from throughout the world, gained through 50 years of monumental success with Status Quo.

“Rick is survived by his wife Lyndsay, their twins Tommy and Lily and Rick’s adult children Rick Jnr and Harry.”

“Live Aid” was a high point for Status Quo. Fellow guitar legend Brian May from Queen which also gave a memorable performance at the 1980s charity concert, tweeted: “You truly joyfully rocked our world. RIP dear buddy”.

Other musicians, including Midge Ure of Ultravox, who co-organised Live Aid in 1985, and Spandau Ballet’s Martin Kemp, paid their tributes to the guitar legend.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-25

7 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

I am old and really into music. However, It sounds like they were a lot more famous in the UK than the US. That would make sense.

A bit like the Grateful Dead, big in the USA , but quite unheard of in the U.K

21 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yup.....Quo managed to wring out some success by either speeding up, or slowing down Paper Plane.

Never a real fan, but, definitely part of the wallpaper of my youth.

Hey, every can of Coke you drink tastes exactly the same, but it still sells by the gallon...

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

You must be extremely young, or not into music.

RIP. Never heard of 'em either. I am not young (US) and have a huge British collection starting with hard rock to prog, metal, Stranglers, Punk, etc. (Everything from Fripp /Crimson/Eno can get my hands on). 

Just cued their hits on youtube and I have never heard "in the Army now" but certain I have "rocking' all over the world somewhere. Perhaps too commercial for what I have an ear for.

20 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

RIP. Never heard of 'em either. I am not young (US) and have a huge British collection starting with hard rock to prog, metal, Stranglers, Punk, etc. (Everything from Fripp /Crimson/Eno can get my hands on). 

Just cued their hits on youtube and I have never heard "in the Army now" but certain I have "rocking' all over the world somewhere. Perhaps too commercial for what I have an ear for.

I think their only 'hit' in the States was Pictures of Matchstick Men (No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100) but they had hits in Germany, Austria, and especially the Netherlands other than the UK.

did a version of we ain't got nothing yet, and Pictures of Matchstick men did very well on the charts.  Spectres ----> Status quo. 

Lead vocals & guitar: Francis Rossi.
Rhythm guitar, vocals: Rick Parfitt.
Bass, vocals: Alan Lancaster.
Organ: Roy Lynes.
Drums: John Coghlan.

Edited by gk10002000
updated