International Driver's Permit renewal

Essaybloke

Hi Essaybloke ... yes, according to NRMA (NSW) website, IDP can be renewed online from outside Australia. I guess RAASA would be same.

Only hiccup is, they send you the new IDP by snail mail to your Thai address, which may take 3-4 weeks, including processing at the Oz end. Apparently they will not send a scanned copy via email.

It will almost be easier, and certainly much cheaper, for your friend to get a Thai driver license that's valid for 2 years,  and be done with it. Obtaining a Thai license is ridiculously simple, even more so if you already have IDP. Takes only 1 day.

You really should consider this option.

4 minutes ago, electric said:

Hi Essaybloke ... yes, according to NRMA (NSW) website, IDP can be renewed online from outside Australia. I guess RAASA would be same.

Only hiccup is, they send you the new IDP by snail mail to your Thai address, which may take 3-4 weeks, including processing at the Oz end. Apparently they will not send a scanned copy via email.

It will almost be easier, and certainly much cheaper, for your friend to get a Thai driver license that's valid for 2 years,  and be done with it. Obtaining a Thai license is ridiculously simple, even more so if you already have IDP. Takes only 1 day.

You really should consider this option.

Thanks for the information. We tried the option you suggested, got told at the office in Rayong 'No' because he cannot show proof of Thai residency (here as 30 days tourist only). And it wasn't just 2 dumb farangs, my wife was there to do all the yap yap. ไม่เป็นไร

On 25/12/2016 at 10:19 AM, Essaybloke said:

Thanks for the information. We tried the option you suggested, got told at the office in Rayong 'No' because he cannot show proof of Thai residency (here as 30 days tourist only). And it wasn't just 2 dumb farangs, my wife was there to do all the yap yap. ไม่เป็นไร

Any IDP issued in Thailand is only valid for use outside Thailand and is only issued to holders of full Thai licences. The initially issued Thai licence is not recognised outside Thailand and isn't a basis to get an IDP which is only a translation of the licence into many languages. If he is driving here he can use his own Oz licence for 90 days with an IDP issued in OZ.

He has to go to immigration to get a certificate of residence. Many offices issue these also on tourist visa or visa exempt.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Any IDP issued in Thailand is only valid for use outside Thailand and is only issued to holders of full Thai licences. The initially issued Thai licence is not recognised outside Thailand and isn't a basis to get an IDP which is only a translation of the licence into many languages. If he is driving here he can use his own Oz licence for 90 days with an IDP issued in OZ.

He was there for Thai license, not IDP.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

UN Traffic Act 1949 and Thai Traffic Act 1979 for info on driving here on a non Thai licence 'officially' allow driving using your own countries licence so on a 30 day VE you 'officially' don't need an IDP. Same as my wife can drive/hire a car in UK.

However some insurance companies make it a rental requirement, some don't and many 'enforcement' officials ask for it because they don't know the requirements, it just makes it easier for them.

So 'officially' he doesn't really need one 'but' !!!!. The problems would arise in the event of an accident and then finding out the insurance small print requires an IDP issued in his home country.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

So 'officially' he doesn't really need one 'but' !!!!. The problems would arise in the event of an accident and then finding out the insurance small print requires an IDP issued in his home country.

This is a common misconception that does not apply to all insurance companies here, if any (?).   When I was driving here for years on my UK licence my insurer, Viriyah, accepted my licence for the initial policy and subsequent renewals and paid out on 2 major claims without issue; they certainly would not have been making an exception for me.

7 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

This is a common misconception that does not apply to all insurance companies here, if any (?).   When I was driving here for years on my UK licence my insurer, Viriyah, accepted my licence for the initial policy and subsequent renewals and paid out on 2 major claims without issue; they certainly would not have been making an exception for me.

I did say rental companies, some do some don't require it.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

I did say rental companies, some do some don't require it.

Now I see that you did but, apart from you, no one is talking about rentals on this thread and neither was I.

On 28/12/2016 at 4:15 AM, gdgbb said:

There is absolutely no guarantee that your personal experience with your local Virayah agent is indicative of their national policy and certainly will not apply for other people and other insurance companies.

Remember with regard to almost any bureaucratic process in Thailand, your experience can (and invariably will) vary.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There is absolutely no guarantee that your personal experience with your local Virayah agent is indicative of their national policy and certainly will not apply for other people and other insurance companies.

Remember with regard to almost any bureaucratic process in Thailand, your experience can (and invariably will) vary.

"...and certainly will not apply for other people and other insurance companies."

Well, if that is right then Virayah must have been making an exception for my claims.   That would be nonsense, do you really think they would do that?

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

How long is an IDP ( issued in U.K.) valid for ?
I was under the impression it was 12 months but saw it mentioned on another post that it's only good for 3 months ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, electric said:

12 months ... according to AA UK

Yes an IDP issued in the UK is valid for 12 months, but the Thai authorities only recognise it for 3 months.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes an IDP issued in the UK is valid for 12 months, but the Thai authorities only recognise it for 3 months.

Yes ... I agree with colinneil's comment above. After 3 months in Thailand, you're no longer considered a tourist, but a long term visitor. Hence, you are then required to get a proper Thai license. Ridicuosly cheap and simple to get, so I can't imagine why anyone would not get one after 3 months.

From a police, and an insurance perspective, when the shit hits the fan and you're involved in a traffic accident, if you've been here longer than 3 months and are still driving on overseas or IDP license, you really leave yourself wide open to a potentially very expensive and unwanted experience. IMHO

Many years ago, during my first 3 months in Thailand, Avis only wanted to see my Oz driver license. On the flip side, cops at roadblocks only ever wanted to see my IDP. Now with my Thai license, roadblocks are just another pleasant and quick  "sawatdee khup" exchange.

Andrew ... good luck with getting Thai license. It's really simple. I can only comment on my personal experience at Buriram DLT when getting my license. (I know many DLT's apparently have different requirements)

1 - DLT accepted a police issued Cert of Residence. A lot easier and cheaper than Cert of Residence from Immi, so you might want to check that out with your local DLT first. Cost for the cops ... officially "up to you"  5555

2 - You will also need a medical certificate before you go to DLT. Available from any clinic. Ask your girlfriend. If you're breathing, and can walk upright through the clinic front door, you'll nail it easy. 15mins. Cost ... 70 baht

3 - I didn't have to do driving test or watch videos etc etc. DLT guy took one look at my IDP and said "you can drive anywhere in the world ... I give you Thai license easy"  Cost .... 205 baht. Valid for 2 years. After 2 years, renewable for 5 years each time.

Andrew ... good luck with getting Thai license. It's really simple. I can only comment on my personal experience at Buriram DLT when getting my license. (I know many DLT's apparently have different requirements)

1 - DLT accepted a police issued Cert of Residence. A lot easier and cheaper than Cert of Residence from Immi, so you might want to check that out with your local DLT first. Cost for the cops ... officially "up to you"  5555

2 - You will also need a medical certificate before you go to DLT. Available from any clinic. Ask your girlfriend. If you're breathing, and can walk upright through the clinic front door, you'll nail it easy. 15mins. Cost ... 70 baht

3 - I didn't have to do driving test or watch videos etc etc. DLT guy took one look at my IDP and said "you can drive anywhere in the world ... I give you Thai license easy"  Cost .... 205 baht. Valid for 2 years. After 2 years, renewable for 5 years each time.

Thanks, I'll let you know !!

Hope all goes well getting your licence.

Bear in mind the first two year licence in Thailand is classed as temporary and cant be used outside Thailand. The 5 year is a full licence and is usually accepted overseas as its in english, mostly, as types of vehicle as easily recognisable on it.

I'm gonna get a letter from the apartment office where I am renting since beginning of May 2016 to take to immigration for residence certificate.
Or should I get them to fill in the tm30 ??
Don't want to stir things up as the tm30 says " must notify within 24 hours from the time of arriving at the residence " and I've been here 7 months now and not been to immigration as have been out of the country twice and was on a non-imm B visa until Aug ( now on a Non-imm O-A)
So, letter from apartment or tm30 ??

An IDP is not a licence to drive, it is merely a translation of your licence into English and adds a photo. Therefore if your home licence is already in English and has a photo, an IDP is not required. However some BIB don't know that so it may smooth your passage, if stopped, to be able to produce one (even out of date ).

An IDP is valid for 12 months, but you can only legally drive in Thailand on your home licence for 90 days.

i.e. You could leave the country after 90 days, return 180 days later and your IDP would still be good.