Thai man 'grows' elephant-size leg giving him severe pain with every step he takes

webfact

Man 'grows' elephant-size leg giving him severe pain with every step he takes

BYNICK YORKSTEPHEN JONES

Boonthing Namphet, 42, from Thailand, has suffered with Lymphadenitis - an infection of the lymph nodes - for 10yrs and struggles to walk but eventually he will be totally disabled

BANGKOK: -- A man has developed a leg the size of a full-size elephant which gives him severe pain with the slightest of movement.

Boonthing Namphet, 42, has been suffering with the condition called Lymphadenitis for more than a decade.

It stems from an infection of the lymph nodes - which means that he struggles to walk and eventually will be totally disabled.

A Thai Buddhist monk, famous for bringing aid to the poor and severely ill, is appealing for help through social media.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-grows-elephant-size-leg-9513516

-- MIrror 2016-12-26

1 hour ago, thaigirlwatcher said:

Any good hospital should be able to treat it.

Its just unfathomable that in this day and age a many has to suffer like that. Show the picture on the front page of every Thai newspaper. Maybe it would elicit some milk of human kindness from the elite (which I doubt) and they would forgo having a 5th luxury car parked in the garage to help this poor soul. Hey Mr. Prayuth here is a good use for your article 44. 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

if there was ever a good use for gofundme.com

"Give a little" is another one.  I just donated to one of those for an injured Thai girl in my own old country.  PM me if anyone sees a formally announced program to help him.  Does anyone know anything about the Ruamkatanyu foundation? How do we donate through them for the money to go directly for his treatment?

Edited by The Deerhunter

I think this is actually lymphatic filariasis or elepantiasis not lymphadenitis.

From the net:

Studies have shown that a single dose of diethylcarbamazine citrate (DEC) has the same long-term (1 year) effect in decreasing levels of microfilaraemia as the formerly recommended 12-day regimen of DEC. More importantly, the use of single doses of two drugs administered together (optimally albendazole with DEC or ivermectin) is 99% effective in removing microfilariae from the blood for a full year after treatment. This level of treatment effectiveness has made feasible new efforts to eliminate lymphatic filariasis.

Treating individuals
The most significant advance in efforts to alleviate the suffering caused by elephantiasis has been the recognition that much of the progression in pathology is a result of bacterial and fungal “superinfection” of tissues, linked to compromised lymphatic function caused by earlier filarial infection. Rigorous hygiene of affected limbs combined with adjunctive measures to minimize infection and promote lymph flow dramatically reduce the frequency of acute episodes of inflammation (“filarial fevers”) and markedly improve the elephantiasis itself.

"A Thai Buddhist monk, famous for bringing aid to the poor and severely ill, is appealing for help through social media."

Are the above mentioned treatments not available in Thailand? Why has this man not been treated?

17 hours ago, webfact said: