Russia crash: 92 killed as military plane comes down in Black Sea

webfact

Russia crash: 92 killed as military plane comes down in Black Sea

Sarah Chappell

606x341_353249.jpg

SOCHI: -- A Russian defence ministry plane, carrying 92 people on route to Syria, has crashed into the Black Sea near Sochi.

Fragments of the plane and several bodies have been recovered, with no reports of survivors.

Pieces of debris were found 1.5 kilometres from the coastal city of Sochi at a depth of 50-70 metres, the defence ministry said.

The Tupolev-154 was carrying mainly musicians from the famed Alexandrov Ensemble (previously known as the Red Army Choir). They were on route to the Khmeimim air base near Latakia for a new year concert.

Most of the 84 passengers were members of the choir, along with nine journalists.

Charity activist Dr. Elizaveta Glinka was also among those on board, the Presidential Council for Human Rights confirmed.

Eight crew members were on the plane.

The defence ministry have published a passenger list online, along with a hotline number for information: (Ru) 8-800-100-18-86.

The TU-154 disappeared from radar a few minutes minutes after taking off near Sochi, where it had stopped to refuel, at 2.40 GMT.

Viktor Ozerov, head of the Russian parliament’s defence committee said he “totally excludes” terrorism as a cause of the crash, Russian media reported, adding that technical malfunction or crew error are among the possible causes.

However later, Russian Transport Minister Maxim Sokolov said that all possible causes of the crash are being examined, including the option of a terror attack.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-26

What a waste.  That type of plane is a workhorse, and was widely used in Russia.  Though only 50 are still in service today.

Conversations with the pilots were normal until it disappeared.  Sad day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-154#Incidents_and_accidents

Between 1970 and January 2011 there have been 110 serious incidents involving the Tu-154,[26] and 69 hull losses, 30 of which did not involve fatalities.[27] Of the fatal incidents, five resulted from terrorist or military action (two other war-time losses were non fatal), several from poor runway conditions in winter (including one in which the airplane struck snow plows on the runway), cargo overloading in the lapse of post-Soviet federal safety standards, and mid-air collisions due to faulty air traffic control. Other incidents resulted from mechanical problems (two cases prior to 2001), running out of fuel on unscheduled routes, pilot errors (including inadequate flight training for new crews), and cargo fires; several accidents remain unexplained.

Other sources says they were on the to a concert  for the Russian troops in Syria and 2 members didn't board one because his passport was out of date ( A singer ) and the other, a soloist, his wife asked to stay and help her with the new baby,  in Russia they were known as the Red army choir....

56 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Not a good week for Russia.  Russian military on their way to  lift the spirits of Russian military personnel deployed in Syria. Only spirits to be lifted are those of anti Assad forces. 

Not just anti Assad forces.  Also those from Chechnya, Georgia, Ukraine, etc.  Heck, maybe even somebody from Sochi?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Winter_Olympics#Incidents_and_threats

Organizers received several threats prior to the Games. In a July 2013 video release, Chechen Islamist commander Dokka Umarov called for attacks on the Games, stating that the Games were being staged "on the bones of many, many Muslims killed ...and buried on our lands extending to the Black Sea."[127]

Threats were received from the group Vilayat Dagestan, which had claimed responsibility for the Volgograd bombings under the demands of Umarov, and a number of National Olympic Committees had also received threats via e-mail, threatening that terrorists would kidnap or "blow up" athletes during the Games. However, while the IOC did state that the letters "[contained] no threat and appears to be a random message from a member of the public", the U.S. ski and snowboarding teams hired a private security agency to provide additional protection during the Games.[123][128][129]

The Russian military could have provided a more safe air transportation but apparently decided to go on the cheap. Money problems?

Since its discontinued production in the 1990's, Russian publically-owned (vs state-owned) commerical airliners stopped using the T-154. To date there have been over 600 deaths from T-154 crashes! But the military continues to use the T-154. https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1225/841205-tu-154-record/

In the Russian airline industry the Boeing 737 and Sukhoi Superjet SSJ100LR seem to be popular alternatives with superior flight records.

Edited by Srikcir
add link

Well...even the Superjet has been grounded temporarily because they found stress cracks near the tail section. This is something normally found in aging planes, not the relatively new Superjets. Face it, the Russians can build rockets but no one I know would choose to fly a Russian commercial jet if they could choose one of the mainstream ones.

Red Army Choir with Leningrad Cowboys (Finland) singing together Sweet Home Alabama. Those were the days, when everybody knew that the world has changed to better. 

5 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Saw this video on twitter last night and have no idea if it is real or not.

Strange flash in the sky over Sochi immediately after the Tu154 took off.

And this video as well.

Second video confirmed real.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2476774/bright-flash-captured-on-cctv-over-the-sochi-coastline-sparks-theories-it-could-be-russian-military-jets-last-moments/

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Other sources says they were on the to a concert  for the Russian troops in Syria and 2 members didn't board one because his passport was out of date ( A singer ) and the other, a soloist, his wife asked to stay and help her with the new baby,  in Russia they were known as the Red army choir....

..guess who will be interrogated today...RIP...what a fantastic choir they have been.

What type of catastrophic event was this in calm Wether. Possibly another pilot suicide or stress fracture. Why do they say no terrorism? Who's to say one the choir wasn't involved in a plot.. It's unlikely but you can never say never.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

What type of catastrophic event was this in calm Wether. Possibly another pilot suicide or stress fracture. Why do they say no terrorism? Who's to say one the choir wasn't involved in a plot.. It's unlikely but you can never say never.

They've not ruled anything out yet.  It takes time to figure out what happened.  Look at that Egypt Air flight.  Just now saying they found bomb residue on some of the passengers.  Took a long time to sort things out.

They've not ruled anything out yet.  It takes time to figure out what happened.  Look at that Egypt Air flight.  Just now saying they found bomb residue on some of the passengers.  Took a long time to sort things out.

Ah yes I see, they corrected the initial conclusion. Now that makes sense.

32 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Ah yes I see, they corrected the initial conclusion. Now that makes sense.

Just after it happened I did see reports from different officials.  One said it was definitely not a terrorist attack.  But the top official then said that nothing had been ruled out.  Too early to know what happened.  Kinda like here, eh?  One official says the economy is growing and another says the opposite.  All on the same day! LOL

There's a big conspiracy theory about Russia faking this plane crash to gain support for the war in Syria.

Take a look at this Russia Today news report on the plane crash. At 1 minute 13 seconds it says "Faking it" across the bottom of the screen for about 4 seconds. This was a live report the video is from the Russia Today news agency youtube channel. Others that watched Russia Today live say they also saw faking it.

I'm not usually one to believe conspiracy theories, but why haven't they displayed any evidence of the plane crash. Oil slick, wreckage, why has nothing washed up on the beach? Here's the video remember 1m 13 seconds in you'll see Faking it.

7 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Just found this CCTV footage from Sochi. Looks like a mid air explosion to me. Again there is doubt whether this is real but the other CCTV was backed up by the British press.

I think that was lightning. The clouds seem to be thick. Thunderstorms are not rare in Sochi in winter.

11 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

There's a big conspiracy theory about Russia faking this plane crash to gain support for the war in Syria.

Take a look at this Russia Today news report on the plane crash. At 1 minute 13 seconds it says "Faking it" across the bottom of the screen for about 4 seconds. This was a live report the video is from the Russia Today news agency youtube channel. Others that watched Russia Today live say they also saw faking it.

I'm not usually one to believe conspiracy theories, but why haven't they displayed any evidence of the plane crash. Oil slick, wreckage, why has nothing washed up on the beach? Here's the video remember 1m 13 seconds in you'll see Faking it.

Interesting.  Trying to avoid a conspiracy theory, it did say CG, which probably means computer graphic.  Russia is not known for showing much details about crashes like this.  I've seen a few pics, showing body bags being brought up a pier.  I think it'd be hard to fake this.  Whether we know what actually happened is another story.

http://www.recorder.com/Russian-military-plane-crashes-into-Black-Sea-7093413

Russian-Plane-Crash-ph00

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201612251048969134-tu154-plane-crash/

Russian rescuers carry a stretcher with passenger belongings after a Russian military plane crashed in the Black Sea, on a pier outside Sochi

12 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

There's big conspiracy theories about almost everything these days. Why anyone would doubt something like this I can not fathom.