Divorce Advise.

nixy67

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, TPI said:

What ever you do do not engage Ozy lawyers! I've some very very bad memories! An Ozy divorce costs about $8000 now, a year ago it was $30 .......go figure! :wai:

$30.00 a year ago???  Are you kidding?  It may have been $30.00 In 1915, but not In 2015.

The fee to lodge the documentation alone has been $750 - $1250, depending on your circumstances, for some years now.

I do agree with you, however, that Oz lawyers will do a job on you.

OP, If you don't want to hear gratuitous, sometimes Irrelevant advice, don't ask the question on a forum.  It's what happens on forums.....everybody Is an expert (In their own opinions).

Edited by F4UCorsair

20 hours ago, nixy67 said:

Good man Bandito, just to be clear if the marriage was recognised in a foreign country i.e. Europe (which it is and he apparently has divorced her there, yet no paperwork has been sent to Thailand as yet) she just needs to translate those documents into Thai and take to a Amphur and register the divorce there it can be done that way ?. Or does he need to register the divorce at the Amphur himself (bearing in mind he is refusing to travel to Thailand).

Well, I tried to divorce the woman, thai lawyer, first in Thailand.

If both agree you can do it at the Amphur where you got married.

She wanted a million baht but my Thai lawyer said  that a bus ticket was enough which drove her up the wall.

I went back to my country where I could divorce her and got provided a lawyer by the Government, some office there.

Took 2 years and I got the papers that I was divorced, the whole thing did'nt cost me a cent but I had to have an address there and live there 6 months before I could divorce there., which I did for the 2 years that it took to divorce.

Translated the paper in Thai and got the necessary stamps.

Went back to Thailand and registered the divorce at Bang Rak with some help from my embassy because they refused to do it without the Thai woman present.

Took one phone call from my embassy and the divorce got registered and the marriage got wiped from their computer.

There was no communication or whatever between my country and Thailand or the woman.

I had not even to appear in court for this, my lawyer fixed everything.:partytime2:

It is  a challenge to manage lawyers and their performance. I've had many dealings with lawyers and below is my approach.

It is reasonable and common for a lawyer to get a retainer upfront. The retainer is important because then there is formal contractual obligation binding both parties. In the initial meeting with the lawyer, which in many cases is free for the first hour or half hour, you need to develop a clear understanding of the process to resolve the matter, the major milestones in it, and the payment schedule and service rates. Also ask many questions to qualify the lawyer like: how long have you practiced law, how many similar cases have you concluded successfully in the past 2 years and what was the total cost to the client and how long did it take to complete. Based on the answers, you might have to find a new lawyer.

After the meeting, confirm your understanding in writing, preferably by registered mail. Be sure to ask for detailed billing, which means date, time, and a detailed description of the service rendered. Retain copies of the letter and mail receipt. Be sure to end the letter asking for written corrections to your understanding if any. The letter formalizes the engagement terms. The initial retainer is only a small part of the full cost, perhaps 10-20%. Normally, as the work progresses the retainer is depleted, according to the established rates and as billed in detailed invoices. Additional sums will need to be paid into the retainer account until the matter is concluded. For any and all payments, be sure to get a proper receipt with tax id. number. With some lawyers, you may have to instruct them in writing not to bill for services beyond the amount in the retainer account.

Edited by Banana7

On 28/12/2559 at 1:24 PM, Wazza1 said:

Never take out another mans garbage.

With a 50% Divorce Rate in the West, and the other 50% Married or who have partners already, I am wondered who is left to date after age 40, if you have the view all Divorced Women are garbage?

Many times it is the mans fault! A Husband who refuses to come back to Thailand to see his wife after 2 years sounds like a pretty good reason to get a Divorce from this man to me. What do you think?

20 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

With a 50% Divorce Rate in the West, and the other 50% Married or who have partners already, I am wondered who is left to date after age 40, if you have the view all Divorced Women are garbage?

Many times it is the mans fault! A Husband who refuses to come back to Thailand to see his wife after 2 years sounds like a pretty good reason to get a Divorce from this man to me. What do you think?

Many times it is the mans fault are you joking.

more like it is the woman fault.

In any western country lawyers expect a 'retainer' (payment up front); they'll draw on this amount for ongoing expenses and advise their client (with proof of expenditure) when the client needs to top up their account.  It's a system that grew over years of experience to separate the over-emotional, non-financial ratbags who want to scare a former associate, or skip town halfway through a legal tussle without paying for work already done when they realise they've bitten off more than they can chew.  As long as your lawyer keeps you informed and provides proper advice the system is fair. If you can't trust your lawyer what are you doing sitting in his office asking for help?  Finally, I'd be asking one practical question in this situation: why would your female friend want to go through the expense of a divorce? It seems clear the former spouse  isn't planning to return to Thailand. If she wants to re-marry,  how important is a "certificate" going to be when a public celebration - even jumping over a candle together - will probably suffice in most circumstances for community/family 'face' in Thailand.  Sometimes people can want a 'divorce' for emotional reasons (temporary insanity) rather than for practical considerations. If children or assets aren't involved, why bother?

On 29/12/2016 at 2:30 PM, GOLDBUGGY said:

I'm sure if she was worth returning to Thailand for he would have.

5 hours ago, Wazza1 said:

I'm sure if she was worth returning to Thailand for he would have.

That is your view and you are welcome to it. But now let me share mine. 

I have lived in Thailand a long time now, and I have seen a lot of Farangs who treated there Thai Wives terribly. In fact I have seen much more of that here then I did in the West. Maybe because of all the excess booze and free time they have to drink and get drunk with friends.

I remember the guy next door to me and where I used to live who used to go out drinking every night without his wife. Every night he would come home late and drunker than a Hoot Owl and bang on the front door to wake his wife up. Then yell at her like a a crazy man for an hour or so no reasons I could see or understand.

She finally left him but still came around during the day to clean house and make sure he was okay. I met her and she seemed like a fine woman.

No I don't know there relationship or who is to blame. All I know for sure is I could never live with anyone like that and don't blame anyone else who couldn't either.

Maybe you had a rough divorces and got screwed! That doesn't mean all women are bad. I know! I have been through 2 times myself!   . 

24 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

That is your view and you are welcome to it. But now let me share mine. 

I have lived in Thailand a long time now, and I have seen a lot of Farangs who treated there Thai Wives terribly. In fact I have seen much more of that here then I did in the West. Maybe because of all the excess booze and free time they have to drink and get drunk with friends.

I remember the guy next door to me and where I used to live who used to go out drinking every night without his wife. Every night he would come home late and drunker than a Hoot Owl and bang on the front door to wake his wife up. Then yell at her like a a crazy man for an hour or so no reasons I could see or understand.

She finally left him but still came around during the day to clean house and make sure he was okay. I met her and she seemed like a fine woman.

No I don't know there relationship or who is to blame. All I know for sure is I could never live with anyone like that and don't blame anyone else who couldn't either.

Maybe you had a rough divorces and got screwed! That doesn't mean all women are bad. I know! I have been through 2 times myself!   . 

now that is calling the  Kettle black is it not 
yes man can be big pricks to their partners I agree, but woman can be just as bad and until you live in that home and see what go's on behind closed doors you have know idea about those people.
you can live in thailand for a long times but that dose not mean anything, you can't say you know about  relationships in thailand because you have live there a long time .
to me it seems thai woman have lots and lots of problems with western man and it is mostly about MONEY.
thai  culture is so much  different to the west and that in it self makes it very hard from the start to have great  relationship .
all I can say is I would never ever date a thai woman if she ever had a western man before me .
they get bad  habits from the first western man and bring them in to the new  relationship , so I would say away from that  type of lady .
if I meet thai woman , one of the first things I ask her has she had a western man before, if yes I then move on .

11 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

now that is calling the  Kettle black is it not 
yes man can be big pricks to their partners I agree, but woman can be just as bad and until you live in that home and see what go's on behind closed doors you have know idea about those people.
you can live in thailand for a long times but that dose not mean anything, you can't say you know about  relationships in thailand because you have live there a long time .
to me it seems thai woman have lots and lots of problems with western man and it is mostly about MONEY.
thai  culture is so much  different to the west and that in it self makes it very hard from the start to have great  relationship .
all I can say is I would never ever date a thai woman if she ever had a western man before me .
they get bad  habits from the first western man and bring them in to the new  relationship , so I would say away from that  type of lady .
if I meet thai woman , one of the first things I ask her has she had a western man before, if yes I then move on .

Well at least we went from all Divorced Women to now only Thai Woman who have been with a Western Man before. That is a big improvement on your part! But to me any drunk man who comes home drunk every morning at 2 am and bangs on the door to wake up his wife, and everyone else, then starts yelling his head of is "No Good". Not matter who's fault! 

So what point are you arguing now then? Do you want me to say the Thai Women aren't different? Of course they are different, and for many men that is a breath of fresh air over a Western Woman. But it seems you don't like that they are different. Which brings me to the question as why date any at all. Stick to your Western Girlfriends and find comfort you know what they are like. Or think you do at least.  

8 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Well at least we went from all Divorced Women to now only Thai Woman who have been with a Western Man before. That is a big improvement on your part! But to me any drunk man who comes home drunk every morning at 2 am and bangs on the door to wake up his wife, and everyone else, then starts yelling his head of is "No Good". Not matter who's fault! 

So what point are you arguing now then? Do you want me to say the Thai Women aren't different? Of course they are different, and for many men that is a breath of fresh air over a Western Woman. But it seems you don't like that they are different. Which brings me to the question as why date any at all. Stick to your Western Girlfriends and find comfort you know what they are like. Or think you do at least.  

Read it again I am just saying no one knows about that  couple until you live with them 24/7 , yes man get drunk for sure and do stupid things but I have no idea about what goes on from the out side looking in .

read what I say thai woman who had ex western man are not for me and I see thai woman have lots of trouble with their western men , it is what I see and been told .

i am not have a go at all thai woman I am just saying of what I have seen in my times in thailand.

i think I know lots about woman western or thai , and up to me who I want to date .

this is my view like you have your view.

Edited by georgemandm
Add

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

i am not have a go at all thai woman I am just saying of what I have seen in my times in thailand.

i think I know lots about woman western or thai , and up to me who I want to date .

Sounds as though you've had your fair share of women then.

Bad experiences...........Maybe you should take a long hard look in the mirror.

8 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Sounds as though you've had your fair share of women then.

Bad experiences...........Maybe you should take a long hard look in the mirror.

55555555 you did make me laugh.

had lots of them some good and some bad .

look in the mirror every day and say how lucky I am to be here .

have you look in the mirror lately? .

you should.

7 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Read it again I am just saying no one knows about that  couple until you live with them 24/7 , yes man get drunk for sure and do stupid things but I have no idea about what goes on from the out side looking in .

read what I say thai woman who had ex western man are not for me and I see thai woman have lots of trouble with their western men , it is what I see and been told .

Of course you are free to make your own choices and I truly wish it works out for you. But coming here and claiming all Thai Women who have ever been with a Western Man before is now garbage, is very shallow thinking in my opinion and insulting to many.

You clam you see many Thai Women having lots of trouble with Western Men. So is your cup half full or half empty? I see and read several times of many western men here, including myself, who are very happy with there Thai Wife and have many years of this relationship under there belt to prove that.

What I am suggesting is that if many Thai Women are having trouble with there Western Man, like you claim, than perhaps it is the man to blame here. How many marriages has he been through before, or even Thai Women? I don't care which culture or background any man comes from, but if he becomes violent when he drinks alcohol, and then screams at his wife all night, every night, and when he is drunk. no woman or man should ever put up with this.  

3 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Of course you are free to make your own choices and I truly wish it works out for you. But coming here and claiming all Thai Women who have ever been with a Western Man before is now garbage, is very shallow thinking in my opinion and insulting to many.

You clam you see many Thai Women having lots of trouble with Western Men. So is your cup half full or half empty? I see and read several times of many western men here, including myself, who are very happy with there Thai Wife and have many years of this relationship under there belt to prove that.

What I am suggesting is that if many Thai Women are having trouble with there Western Man, like you claim, than perhaps it is the man to blame here. How many marriages has he been through before, or even Thai Women? I don't care which culture or background any man comes from, but if he becomes violent when he drinks alcohol, and then screams at his wife all night, every night, and when he is drunk. no woman or man should ever put up with this.  

So you think thai woman don't become violent , yes they do .

you see it your way and I see it my way so leave it at that .