Thammayut Sect

thaibebop

Is the Thammayut sect founded by Mongkut still active? If so, what is their focus today?

Yup, still goin' strong. I don't know what you mean by 'their focus', but it's still a somewhat stricter order than the Mahaanikaaya. The Dhammayut do seem to produce a larger proportion scholars. Their HQ is at Wat Bowoniwet, right near Khao San Rd. It houses Mahamakut University, whose bookstore is the best in town. :o

Is the Thammayut sect founded by Mongkut still active? If so, what is their focus today?

Yup, still goin' strong. I don't know what you mean by 'their focus', but it's still a somewhat stricter order than the Mahaanikaaya. The Dhammayut do seem to produce a larger proportion scholars. Their HQ is at Wat Bowoniwet, right near Khao San Rd. It houses Mahamakut University, whose bookstore is the best in town. :o

What I meant by focus is this " The new sect adopted a stricter code of conduct based on the Mon text, rejected the use of Jataka tales for teaching and preaching, down-played the significance of texts based on traditional cosmology (especially the Traiphum), and avoided practices adopted from Brahmanism or spirit worship." From A History of Thailand by Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker.

What I meant by focus is this " The new sect adopted a stricter code of conduct based on the Mon text, rejected the use of Jataka tales for teaching and preaching, down-played the significance of texts based on traditional cosmology (especially the Traiphum), and avoided practices adopted from Brahmanism or spirit worship." From A History of Thailand by Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker.

:o You seem to know more than you let on :D

:o You seem to know more than you let on :D

Nah, not really, that little bit is what prompted me to ask more.

Where does the Thai forest tradition fit in here? Is it part of the Thammayut?

Chownah

Well, it depends what you mean by forest tradition. Most of Achan Mun's disciples were Dhammayut, but with one noteable exception, Achan Chah was already ordained in the Mahanikaya when he became a student of Acharn Mun. Many others were too, but they disrobed and reordained in the Dhammayut. Acharn Chah didn't reordain and now all of his descentants are Mahanikaya, including most of the Western monks.

There are also forest traditions that are not descended from Acharn Mun, including many Mahanikay monks.

Bankei

I believe that focus remains.