Would You Leave Thailand ?

On 28/12/2016 at 10:36 AM, jak2002003 said:

If you have always wanted to own land then you must know you can never do that in Thailand as a farang. 

How exactly are you and your wife treated as second class citizens?  I have mostly found I am treated better than most Thai people and Thais seem to think 'normal' farangs are a class above them.. being very polite and helpful.  Of course there are frustrating legal things.. like filling in stupid forms so often... but in the grand scale of things it only takes a few minutes of your time and its no big deal.

It sounds like you have decided you don't like it here already and so I advise you to go to another country and buy land like you want to.

We are a western couple also... but we rent the land we live on.  I find the good things here far outweigh the bad things....  it was the other way around in the UK!!!! 

Don't take things so seriously. My purpose was not to seek your advice (to go to another country); I was playing devil's advocate, looking for a range of experiences and opinions. You also appear to have missed my followup post. We've been here since mid 1990's.  We care very much about our Thai friends and Thailand's wellbeing. It is just that we see an erosion of what made it so attractive in 1993. The social values are disappearing, so are the easygoing attitudes about what westerners could do to secure one's residence for a lifetime. You may be comfortable to rent the land. But how do you rely on the landowner to not 'bump' your rental to force you to leave that house you renovated or built? Do you have a right of way registered (just cost us 200k).? are you protected if the landlord dies?

Somewhat off topic; there are many horror stories about Thai families tearing apart over land rights.

As far as reporting by and monitoring of westerners,  well time will tell.

Again, the best of wishes to all at TV for a peaceful New Year.

• Like 2