Would You Leave Thailand ?

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Have spent the last year setting up exactly this.. From a few years ago buying 5 rai for the grand villa and maybe a bunch of rental homes around a pool (estimated 30 mil inward) to dropping off extensions back to a ME visa, going and setting up a fall back home in the west, starting a biz back there, and the full lifeboat option to be on a plane in a day or two without any real interruption to my life just in case.. 

What I discovered this summer was

1) the UK is probably cheaper, for the life I lead and the things I consume these days than Thailand is

2) theres sooo much to do that I had forgotten I loved (track days, racing calendar, flight lessons, music festivals, bands, etc).. 

3) making money is so easy back there that not only is it not costing me anything, its set to me making me multi 100k doing it. 

I am younger than some at 43, been 'retired' here since I was 28.. Allowed myself to become brainwashed by every expats complaints of trips home, the self validation of 'how great it was to be back' or holiday makers gushing over how lucky it is to be here.. Sure it may be fine at 60 to wind down and live slow in a semi decent climate but this last year has me enthused with the action of being back in europe, my only problems involve the wife / travel / our dog / etc.. 

Of course its cold and dark in the UK now.. So I am here.. Counting the days until the winter is over to get back. I am really wondering if I wouldnt do far better having a villa in portugal for the winter rather than here. The biz I have started can easily pay for that cost without touching any of my nestegg. 

like you LL i mis the racing,[dogs] fishing [fly] the odd drink with mates [not any more].

only problems age 70plus,  the travel and our beloved DOG,that would be the wife's only problem.[THE DOG]

the weather is good for me [a lot of athritus] but we would go and live in maspalomas with the dog.

the cost of living has changed,my wife is a walking [buy one and get one] she worked on av.75hrs.a week to get where she is today,so its only if its CHEAP will she part with her hard earned cash.

i dont want to think what happens here cause after living here,vacations,ect.over 35yrs.it does seem to be a lawless country.

can my wife handle it yes,she does have a little bit upstairs[brain].

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

IF the infrastructure in the Philippines was Thai standard I'd be gone in a flash  (nicer people, more polite, less nationalistic, English speaking etc.)

My Thai GF and I have discussed the PI if the retirement options change or my short-term Tourist Visa options are removed (I am not quite 50 yet).  I prefer Thailand by far, but the PI would be a decent 2nd choice, if not for one problem in particular. I have friends there, and none can get decent Internet (even at large businesses) sufficient to have a clear skype-voice call.  Both GF and I would find that to be a big problem.  She could not even do video-chats with her family back here.  So, for now, the PI is not an option. 

As to "where else": She has no interest in Cambodia (can't blame her, given how they view Thais).  Laos has few long-stay options for farangs (and land-border hops to Thailand ever 2 months from Laos are now off the table). 

Marriage has implications with her family that neither of us want to affect our relationship.  So all we can do right now, is cross our fingers.

I guess that I do not live in Thailand.

I do not experience more issues at immigration.

I do not have bank managers asking about my income and status.

I do not feel that I am unwanted.

I do not feel I live in a less stable land (with Brexit all those Brits on the continent are proabably way more concerned)

I find things have improved enormously over the years.

I do not routinely get pullled over by the cops.

I do not get assaulted when walking around.

I do not have problems with internet banking.

I do not get run off the road by manic drivers.

I do not regularly, indeed it has never happened, have money disappearing from my bank account. Only the Brits managed to do that.

I have never had a Thai bank collapse on me and get absorbed into the government.

I have never had the THB forced down the toilet by lunatic Central Bankers.

I can walk to the 7/11 24 hours a day and meet friendly staff.

My internet, power and water supplies are very stable.

I meet normal people doing normal things in the streets.

The opening of Makro, Tesco, Big C has improved the quality and variety of goods and reduced my cost of living.

I could write a load more....

With all these great things going on, maybe I am back in England. :cheesy: :cheesy:

• Like 2