Architect on big bike dies on bridge after failing to take corner

webfact

RIP.

I own the same bike that the Thai man owned in this story.

I have put 23,000 kilometers on my bike here in Thailand.

It is not a small bike. It weights over 200 kilos. Most Thais are not tall enough to ride a VERSYS 650.

I am 6 feet tall and I can just get my feet flat on the ground sitting on the bike.

It has a high center of gravity and a large fuel tank.  It is a long range touring bike.

It can be a challenge to get this bike lean over in a turn.

It has a 650 cc engine and goes for 0-100kph in 3.8 seconds.

If he went into a curve too fast he just would have left the road.

I have lost concentration a few times entering a sharp turn and miscalculated my speed.

it is a horrible feeling. And if he hit a oil slick/sand/dirt then all bets are off. 

Edited by NCC1701A

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, CanInBKK said:

Arguably not clear (i.e. any assumptions of excessive speed are not confirmed by the distance the bike was found). As was mentioned in another recent thread and as anybody who has ever ridden a bicycle can tell you, it's quite possible for the motorcycle to continue in an upright position without the rider and glide for quite some distance akin to bicycling no-hands and without pedaling. Simple physics.

So there is a possibility the bike could continue on 2 wheels for some distance....I agree....but on a bend??

8 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

If you drive a motor vehicle must be considered very around you, as most are out to kill you.

That is of course excellent general driving advice when out and about on any road anywhere in any type of vehicle

Not applicable in this case as no other road users involved

This tempers my sympathy somewhat for this young man, as sad as any unnecessary death is

You cannot legislate for stupidity

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

So there is a possibility the bike could continue on 2 wheels for some distance....I agree....but on a bend??

It says there's a bend in the OP but the picture shows a straightaway. Possibly the accident took place during the exit portion of the curve?

On 12/28/2016 at 11:11 AM, robertthebruce said:

Zero Sympathy

one less idiot on the roads.....

Oxygen thief. Only those of you here who drive will appreciate how most motorcycles are a hazard to themselves and the rest of the drivers on the roads. They drive like they all superman and invincible.
I add this as I know someone will accuse me of being heartless. Before you do I confess I am when it comes to motorcycles.