Citizen's "arrest" - concerned truck driver tells drunk driving motorcyclist he just can't go on!

webfact

Citizen's "arrest" - concerned truck driver tells drunk driving motorcyclist he just can't go on!

p4.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A video of a kind of citizen's arrest is doing the rounds of Thai social media.

In the online footage a concerned truck driver has got down from the cab of his 22-wheeler to confront a motorcyclist who is clearly very drunk, reports Thairath.

The man can barely stand and doesn't say anything.

He refuses to let the rider get back on his bike as he is a danger to both himself and other road users.

Truck driver Surachart Meuanprasat, 43, who posted his video on Facebook said that the motorcyclist had been weaving all over the road so he stopped to take action.

After a long talking to, some locals led the rider away to sleep off his drinking bout while another moved his bike out of the way.

The timely reminder comes as one of the worst times for traffic accidents - especially involving drunk motorcyclists - begins in Thailand during the New Year holidays.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-30

Isn't it the Buddhist way to not intervene?

Isn't it the Thai way not to cause others to lose face by bringing attention to their shortcomings?

Doesn't Thai culture allow the motorbike guy to sue the truck driver for defamation, since truth doesn't matter in defamation?

All snide remarks aside, this gent deserves recognition for his actions. He likely saved the drunk's life and that of the lives of those unfortunate enough to have encountered his suicide ride.

It would be nice to see it rubbing off onto many, many more drivers...........................:sad: 

Edited by chrisinth

4 hours ago, SneekyPete said:

This is newsworthy, as it is so uncommon for citizens to take this kind of action. Well done! May this become a trend.

Not enough truck drivers in the whole of Thailand to stop all the drunk riders in Pattaya alone!

...lets hope some neurons fire up and he remembers how pissed he was and not to do it again..i know Im hoping big here.

BTW...my ladies brother was done recently for DUI..fine and community service orders plus suspension of car licence for 6 months...hasn't stopped him as he rides his motor cy pissed...still permitted to drive on his m/c licence..how crazy is that !!

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to normal.

Isn't it the Thai way not to cause others to lose face by bringing attention to their shortcomings?

Doesn't Thai culture allow the motorbike guy to sue the truck driver for defamation, since truth doesn't matter in defamation?

Couple of months ago wife was driving us home from the beach and we came across an older Thai couple riding a samlor all over the road both of them worse for wear.

I normally try not to get involved but they had a little girl in there with them must have been about 2 years old.

I made the wife stop in front of them and grabbed the keys. We were in front of a Thai household with people out the front and the road was busy enough so I thought someone would get involved.

Not a chance. Ended up leaving them to it as I was so wound up I was going to punch one of them.

All the old girl was worried about was trying to get some money out of me for "petrol"

Reported them to the local police station but even they didn't seem interested.

again, that's what you get if the police won't do their job.

In BKK there's police everywhere now along main roads, they do nothing do, just sit in tents.

At chaeng wattana they blocked traffic but i didn't see them checking anybody...just standing on the road doing nothing. I've passed those checkpoints for many years now around new year and never had to open the window or blow in an alcoholmeter.

2 days ago i saw a scooter who had driven into the swamp at night...i didn't help him though, he must have been very drunk.

9 hours ago, trogers said:

That's one episode of many in the past and future of this drunk. I can guess when he will stop drunk driving...

I agree with you if alcoholism is involved. But if it was just party binge drinking he may feels ashamed when he wakes up sober - (unknown environement, motorsaai locked up, villagers laughing at him...)- lesson learned!

8 hours ago, chrisinth said:

All snide remarks aside, this gent deserves recognition for his actions. He likely saved the drunk's life and that of the lives of those unfortunate enough to have encountered his suicide ride.

It would be nice to see it rubbing off onto many, many more drivers...........................:sad: 

Especially if they just happen to wear a uniform for work

19 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

Since the driver is Thai and most likely Buddhist and the same would most likely be true of the people who led the drunk away,  apparently Thai Buddhists are capable of making rational, sensible decisions and acting accordingly without compromising their nationality, culture or religious beliefs.

Do some farang make global, uninformed and agenda promoting comments about Thais whenever some positive news is reported? Inevitably. Does that mean all farang are frustrated and cranky xenophobes? No.

I'm pretty sure most of us, whatever our nationality, culture or religion, would be disinclined to intervene in such a situation in our home countries. 

Edited by Suradit69

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think we need more citizens arrests for a lot of things,

take the pressure of the police (bit sarcasm ).

regards worgeordie

No doubt drunk driving in Thailand is quite bad and that the police are lax in arresting such people, but even in places where police are presumably more vigilant and proactive, the problem remains beyond the meaningful control of police.

Between 1979 and 2014

An average of 940 people were killed in drink driving related accidents in Great Britain each year.

An average of 3,681 people were seriously injured in drink driving related accidents in Great Britain each year.

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_statistics_uk.php

AN AVERAGE DRUNK DRIVER HAS DRIVEN DRUNK OVER 80 TIMES BEFORE FIRST ARREST [in the US].

EVERY TWO MINUTES, A PERSON IS INJURED IN A DRUNK DRIVING CRASH [in the US].

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “The Economic and Societal Impact Of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010.” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, May 2014, DOT HS 812 013. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812013.pdf.