we have had best resturants but whats your favorite beer?

davetrout

17 minutes ago, soc said:

When l used to drink,

1) Draught Heineken

2) Bottled Heineken

3) Tiger

4) Singha

5) Chang(now its too sweet!)

l consider Leo to be utterly repulsive, far too sweet.

But as we can see, many like it.

You can have my share!

Now, l'm hooked on Thai Sodawater. lts got a great bite.

In the beer country Belgium, Heineken  is not considered beer but  horse piss. Not any  pub sels it

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the light blonde hoppy beers which are becoming very prevalent in the UK now from many Breweries and my favourite is Brewdog Punk IPA but all the BrewDog beers are excellent. TOPPS do stock them and, occasionally some other outlets and worth a try. As far as Thai beers go Singha has always been my favourite but not a lot to choose. However last week I came across a beer brewed by Singha called simply U. It was very pleasant with a good malty flavour and in 620 ml bottles for the same price as a regular large Singha. I think I will stock up with a few more!

Bang and baht all the way. Beer is beer to me it's nice to slurp a big Leo now and then but I can take it or leave it. Just no ice in my beer please. 24 bottles I brought over Xmas and I drank 3 max and my thai family guzzled the rest. Even had mrs Mom knocking it back and she never drinks. I am from a family that likes to talk too much and too serious whilst drinking so it put me off alcohol in uk. I like a fat joint in the UK over a beer any day.  I don't touch that stuff here though, only smoke that stuff at work too. Oddly enough I am a bit more on the ball when I'm a bit more relaxed.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:28 AM, Lite Beer said:

If you are asking about Thai beer the standard is so low that being top of the list is nothing to be proud of.

Go for Beer Laos if you can afford it.

huh ?........ most barstool seat-belted cheap charlies would say the best beer is the free one ....bada bada bing....

On 12/31/2016 at 0:23 AM, champers said:

I'm with the OP; a big Leo is way ahead of all other Thai beer. 

Chang  export ,  was  my  favorite , not  have anymore.

New  edition of  Chang is crap , now  a Leo  man .

As the title never specifically said beer drunk in Thailand.

Bishops tipple (St Austells brewery)

Crippled dick 3 times stronger than barley wine. (St Austells brewery) only sold in half pints but is lovley mixed with a bottle of barley wine only ever managed three pints.

Mouse head (Canadian chemical beer brewed Monday drink Wednesday.  Wondered about the name till I woke up next morning scratching my head on the wall.

Hop leaf (malta)

Many many more but here in Thailand chang classic works for me

My personal view on local bottled beers:

1. Leo; 5%, 7/11 price large bottle: ฿56. Nice taste, sweetish.

2. Singha; 5%, 7/11 price large bottle: ฿60. Tastes very similar to Leo

3. Cheers; 5%, 7/11 price large bottle: ฿49. Sweet, good value

4. Singha Lite; 3.4  7/11 price large bottle: ฿51. A bit watery, but pleasant

5. Chang; 5.2%, 7/11 price large bottle: ฿55. Was originally Carlsberg Special Brew recipe, but when the licence ran out Thai Bev. Pub. Co took over.

Now brewed to 5.2% so it can be exported. Nasty after-taste.

6. Archer; 5%, 7/11 price large bottle: ฿49. Similar to Chang

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo

On 12/31/2016 at 8:44 AM, impulse said:

It's been almost 30 years for me, but I recall the best beer was free beer.

Beyond that, everything else is snobbery.  Just like coffee.  It's a delivery system for the active ingredient.

I assure you all coffee is not the same.  The coffee my gf brings me every morning is BY FAR the worst coffee in the world.

4 hours ago, DSJPC said:

Dos Equis, Molson Golden and San Miguel, in that order!!!

You can get XX in Thailand? I've never seen it. I used to drink shedloads of that stuff when I lived in London in the '80s. With Tequila submarines, usually.

1 hour ago, Bonefish said:

How about the Japanese brands Asahi and Kirin? 70-75 baht for the big bottle at Tops. I like them a lot, especially the Asahi Super Dry or Extra Dry.. No headache like from Singha, Chang etc.

Better read that fine print brah...asahi is brewed under license by a thai company...you can read more hear.....

http://www.dougsrepublic.com/beer/20150216-beer-license.php

14 minutes ago, naboo said:

For Thai beer, its got to be U Beer.

u-beer-1.jpg

Made by Singha, they are currently testing the market so not easy to find. Should be more widespread in the next couple of weeks.

Why? Please tell.

In response to the OP question, the best beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking was Kloster Dunkel driectly tapped from a keg at the famous Kloster Andechs brewery in Bavaria.
Accompanied with a whole Schweinerhaxen, mit senf, and Sauerkraut.  Heaven!
Second choice would be Greene King IPA, with a Cheddar cheese & onion buttie.
But with regard to the implied question, my current tipple is Chang.  However my  preferences have changed over the years, as have the brewer's choice of what to sell.
Many years ago, my choice of Thai beer was Singha, but around 7-8 years ago I did a taste test and determined that, for me, Singha had a perfume kind of aroma and taste compared to Chang, which was more of a bitter beer.
That was when Chang Classic was sold at 6.5%.  But the taste and I think the strength were not well controlled, and when they downgraded the product to to 6% and later to 5.5%, it improved their quality control.  This was a move I welcomed because I was p1$$ed off with having to reject a case due to poor quality.
That's my tuppence worth, UW.

I think we are talking beer, otherwise know as larger beer, not ALE.

You can get lots of imported bottled stuff, even Young's and Fuller's but it is all expensive, and not stocked in many places.

Craft beer is another fad, sorry trend, that is a load of marketing nonsense.

A lot of the micro breweries sell their own brews that are not much better than you can make at home with a kit.

Oh, and why are we getting comments from non drinkers?

:burp:

3 hours ago, tazly said:

Better read that fine print brah...asahi is brewed under license by a thai company...you can read more hear.....

http://www.dougsrepublic.com/beer/20150216-beer-license.php

Yes, Of course I read the fine print and I know that Asahi and Kirin are brewed in  Thailand under license from the Japanese, which explains the low price. But the license agreement is such that everything (ingredients, brewing process, etc.) is strictly controlled by the Japanese and the end result is very close to the original Japanese product. Which is fine with me. No strange chemistry involved, no bizarre money-saving ingredients, no headaches or hangovers. And a price tag not much higher than the local Thai beers.

2 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Yes, Of course I read the fine print and I know that Asahi and Kirin are brewed in  Thailand under license from the Japanese, which explains the low price. But the license agreement is such that everything (ingredients, brewing process, etc.) is strictly controlled by the Japanese and the end result is very close to the original Japanese product. Which is fine with me. No strange chemistry involved, no bizarre money-saving ingredients, no headaches or hangovers. And a price tag not much higher than the local Thai beers.

Maybe they should ask Carlsberg what happened to them?

On 12/31/2016 at 11:55 AM, Dmaxdan said:

The kaiserdom beers, sold pretty much everywhere make, in my opinion a nice change from the regular Thai beers. And at 195 baht for a one litre can, reasonable value.6d6cd6115b3001c1ecd7049cbf88ae98.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

$5.50 for one beer??   Probably not want to tie one on a those prices.

On 12/30/2016 at 8:44 PM, impulse said:

It's been almost 30 years for me, but I recall the best beer was free beer.

Beyond that, everything else is snobbery.  Just like coffee.  It's a delivery system for the active ingredient.

Free beer and coffee are good because they're free. Good beer and coffee are good because they taste good to the consumer...similar to fine wine. The active ingredient is a bonus for some and a detriment for others, but all beers and coffees are NOT created equal. :coffee1: :drunk:

The old formula Chang was my favorite Thai beer. 6.4% alcohol, a full flavored and bitter brew that was the perfect compliment to spicy Thai food. Cheap too! Sadly the formula was changed a few years ago and now sucks, just like all the other Thai beers. 

Beer Lao, Beer Lao Dark and San Miguel Dark...if you can find it...are all much better choices. :thumbsup: