Love game: Serena Williams plays on after engagement

rooster59

Love game: Serena Williams plays on after engagement

606x341_353656.jpg

There’s been no let-up in Serena Williams’ schedule since the tennis star announced that she was getting married.

The news broke on Thursday that the world number two had got engaged to Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit.

“He said four words”, and I said yes – she wrote in a poem published on the social media company’s website.

Her fiance popped the question during a surprise trip to Rome. The couple have reportedly been dating for over a year.

Serena Williams is now in New Zealand where she’s due to play a tournament in Auckland next week. The 35-year-old is competing in the country for the first time.

With 22 grand slam singles titles, she’s seen as the best player of her generation and perhaps of all time.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-31

my point is that she is no different from other women across the world doing the same thing and just because she is a professional doesn't make her more important than the rest and this goes for all celebrities everywhere .

18 minutes ago, keith101 said:

my point is that she is no different from other women across the world doing the same thing and just because she is a professional doesn't make her more important than the rest and this goes for all celebrities everywhere .

Sells print...wish her the best next year on the court.  Fastest women's serve on the tour...

It seems to me that when you take a look at these Superstars you always seem to come up with some unhappiness growing up, or some lost childhood, and strict parents. I seem to recall Serena's Father was very strict to her and her sister. Also there coach. 

Nadia Comaneci, who at age 14 won 3 Gold Medals in the Olympics and was the first gymnast in history to be awarded a perfect score of 10, but started her everyday intensive training by age 7. Tiger Woods, where at age 3 beat Bob Hope in Putting on the Mike Douglas Show. Even Wayne Gretzky. 

So I guess to be that good you have to give up a lot of things with romance being included. When I look back now on my youth, all I can say is I wished I spent more time playing Hockey or Baseball instead of chasing Girls. Do you know how much money these guys make?

Tennis legend Serena Williams welcomed in the New Year with a trip to Waiheke Island, describing the destination as "gorgeous" and "just so beautiful".

Williams is in Auckland to compete at the ASB Classic tennis tournament but took some time out of her training schedule to explore the region's stunning natural playground on New Year's Eve.

IMG_2666_480x270.jpg

The announcement of Serena Williams competing in Auckland led to tickets selling out for both women's sessions, the first time in the tournament's 61-year history that the women's weekend has sold out before the men's.

Venus Williams has this morning posted a photo to Instagram of herself warming up ahead of this afternoon's charity match.

The fundraiser, for the Kaikoura earthquake, will see the top tennis siblings take on rugby's Savea brothers, All Blacks Ardie and Julian, at 1pm.

GettyImages-607009946.jpg

Sisters Serena and Venus Williams - arguably the greatest doubles combination in the history of tennis - will make a special appearance before the ASB Classic in a charity match against All Black brothers Julian and Ardie Savea.

The exhibition doubles match, which ASB Classic director Karl Budge says will be a "mix of sibling doubles and mixed doubles", will take place at Stanley St on Sunday January 1, with all proceeds from ticket sales going to the Kaikoura earthquake fund.

GettyImages-546272014_480x270.jpg

"ASB have come up with the idea so hats off to them," said Budge. Serena and Venus were very quick to get on board and I'm sure they will enjoy it. It's a nice way of getting them on court and will give some other people a chance to see them, given that tickets are at such a premium for the ASB Classic."

Edited by gomangosteen
Pic link