Buying low-end smartphone in Thailand

BEngBKK

A couple months ago I bought a Dengo smartphone for 2990b at Lazada.

My TGF wouldn't be caught dead with such a "cheap" phone but I'm quite happy with it.

The 6" screen is great for reading ebooks on the go.

I also have a Samsung Grand Prime but I prefer the Dengo.

And, yes, I'll never buy a more expensive smartphone again !

I let the TGF go for that (with my Bahts, of course).)

http://www.dengothailand.com/15754463/รุ่นใหม่-มือถือ-6-นิ้ว-dengo-รุ่น-one-plus-

On 1/12/2017 at 9:12 AM, 2008bangkok said:

I paid 7500 for a xiaomi mi max , 6.44 screen, 1.8 GHz hexa core, 3gb ram, 32 storage, 16mp +5mp, and a massive 4850 mah battery meaning that I get 10 hours of Screen on Time, so I agree completely, never buying a 10k+ phone again

Would you report in a month or so how that phone is working out for you?  I have a Xiaomi Note-3 and like it but the MiMax really intrigues me. 

On 1/12/2017 at 9:12 AM, 2008bangkok said:

I paid 7500 for a xiaomi mi max , 6.44 screen, 1.8 GHz hexa core, 3gb ram, 32 storage, 16mp +5mp, and a massive 4850 mah battery meaning that I get 10 hours of Screen on Time, so I agree completely, never buying a 10k+ phone again

Where did you buy the Mi Max??

I paid 8100b for my Nexus 5X and 14100b for wife's Nexus 6p in the US. New, Intl versions. But I made her pay 6k bc in my mind no one needs a phone costing 8k+ especially nowadays :-) Actually, my Nex 4 was perfectly fine as was hers she just wanted a new big phone. We gave our pair to her neices. Nex 4 a bit pokey, but still a solid phone for me. Could have used it another two years easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like people on here have used Gear Best, any big issues with them? I'm thinking of the Oukitel U13 pro, cheapest 64gb phone with decent reviews. Any feedback appreciated.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

Gear best inserted an invoice in the package for a fraction of the price of my phone. It arrived by courier but never got opened and there was no tax. But if they did open there still wouldn't have been tax

Gear best is outstanding

On 1/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, 2008bangkok said:

On 1/16/2017 at 11:33 AM, dddave said:

Would you report in a month or so how that phone is working out for you?  I have a Xiaomi Note-3 and like it but the MiMax really intrigues me. 

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

I brought it off Lazada

Thanks for the reply.

As per dddave, would also like to know how you found the MiMax.
Please update with your review on it, cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/02/2017 at 0:17 AM, Argus Tuft said:

Thanks for the reply.

As per dddave, would also like to know how you found the MiMax.
Please update with your review on it, cheers

The MI Max is a brilliant phone, the build is good the camera is great and the battery is excellent and i mean excellent.

So for those reasons i would recommend the phone. however a couple of short comings worth mentioning, No1 It is 6.44 so you will need to use 2 hands to use it and No2 is Im a bit of a clumsy man with phones and when i drop the phone then the screen goes and the one problem with Xiaomi phones is that when the screen goes you might aswell bin it and get another one as you will need to order it from Aliexpress and then even then getting somebody to fit it who is not used to those Xiaomi will be difficult and given it is bigger than normal it will be easier to drop (if you like ).

I wouldn't put anybody off buying a Mi Max, screen real estate is excellent and you quickly get used to it and miss it when its gone and again the battery is amazing with 8-10 hours of SOT.

However if you want a smaller phone than 6.44 with a better build than the Redmi Note 3/4 but the dropping factor puts you off then the Redmi PRO with 5.5 screen is a good alternative with its dual camera on the back but a more traditional position of the fingerprint scanner (actual hard button on front) but again with great battery that one is also good. Only down side for Redmi PRO is that the fingerprint scanner doesn't work from sleep you have to press the button and then leave on for fingerprint unlocking.

Hope this helps

Edited by 2008bangkok

Nice report...thanks for doing it.

I'm a bit down on Xiaomi at the moment though the fault may actually be the retailer's (Gearbest)

I've had 2 Xiaomi's; a Redmi Note-2 that I liked a lot but a quick dive into a toilet finished it. (There is something to be said for water resistant phones)  I replaced the Note-2 with the Redmi Note-3 3/32 and really liked the phone but one of the bloatware apps..."UC Browser" installed an app called "UC News" that relentlessly spams the phone with unwanted apps that block the display so I can't use the touch screen...really frustrating.  The app always re-installs itself when I uninstall it, even when I have data and wifi turned off, meaning it is residing deep in the OS.  My only solution will be to root it which I hate to do as I really don't have a good grasp of the process.

Using a spare phone now until I get it sorted.

6 hours ago, dddave said:

<snip> I replaced the Note-2 with the Redmi Note-3 3/32 and really liked the phone but one of the bloatware apps..."UC Browser" installed an app called "UC News" that relentlessly spams the phone with unwanted apps that block the display so I can't use the touch screen...really frustrating.  The app always re-installs itself when I uninstall it, even when I have data and wifi turned off, meaning it is residing deep in the OS.  My only solution will be to root it which I hate to do as I really don't have a good grasp of the process.

Using a spare phone now until I get it sorted.

Instead of rooting it, try instead flashing it and then installing the latest stable Global ROM - available on the Xiaomi forum.

I had bought the Redmi Pro 3 3/32 with the Chinese ROM, and recently flashed it and installed the Global ROM and it is excellent

Edited by Argus Tuft

Must have spent a Fortune on Phones.We bought 2 Apples [emoji519] and they are the cheapest Phones long term.All the others had Battery probs etc, Ok a bit pricy initially,but on Sunday I'm left out of This Bloody Thing rant my Drinking Chums enjoy.Also I'm immune to Apples no good mob by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to share, i know nothing about phones, and just need one for banking.

After searching, i'm about to buy a Galaxy J1 4G. 3500 bahts around. Dual sim. Big brand in case of problem. Unlocked i think...

I would have prefer the J1 mini but it's not a 4G as i understand...

Any advice against ?

After that i still have to undestand how to buy the correct cheap sim/plan, minimal use but :

- International roaming on accasion

- Same number at least one year (looks like i have to "top-up" something :))...

I'm newbie here, i use a mobile computer (Apple) since ages, have now a MBP. and have always been very happy with Mac.

But the first price in Apple Phone is just ridiculous to mee, kind of half the price of my computer, so i will skip Apple on this. I did not need a mobile phone before (yes, i know, but i'm from earth though :)).

4 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Just to share, i know nothing about phones, and just need one for banking.

After searching, i'm about to buy a Galaxy J1 4G. 3500 bahts around. Dual sim. Big brand in case of problem. Unlocked i think...

I would have prefer the J1 mini but it's not a 4G as i understand...

Any advice against ?

After that i still have to undestand how to buy the correct cheap sim/plan, minimal use but :

- International roaming on accasion

- Same number at least one year (looks like i have to "top-up" something :))...

I'm newbie here, i use a mobile computer (Apple) since ages, have now a MBP. and have always been very happy with Mac.

But the first price in Apple Phone is just ridiculous to mee, kind of half the price of my computer, so i will skip Apple on this. I did not need a mobile phone before (yes, i know, but i'm from earth though :)).

If banking is my primary concern then I would want a bigger screen, so how about forget phone and get a Samsung Tab A 7" model? They are getting cheaper now though not as inexpensive as the J1 phone.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S5. When the main board died and I sent it to a shop, I bought a new Lumina 640 LTE MS phone for 3,500 baht. Other than the Windows operating system, it is a great phone. A decent camera, great battery life, great call quality and enough applications to do whatever I want. Since the S5 has been in the shop for longer that it has been in my pocket, the Lumina has gotten a lot of use. When the S5 dies again, I will start using the Lumina again. It is a 4G phone. For some reason, the 4G on the S5 doesn't work. ??