Big Waves Spoil Launch of Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What happens if you had booked a hotel in Hua Hin? tough luck you lose the money.

What happens if you went to Hua Hin for 2 nights by boat but because of an upcoming storm the boat won't sail back?

This boat is not reliable it seems.

And why is nobody wearing a life-vest like on the boat to koh larn?

Having worked a lifetime at sea I wouldn't want to be on this vessel in anything above 1m seas!

Sure they got it for a good price when whoever originally ordered it realized it was totally unsuitable for ocean voyages!

There was a ferry service that ran between Pattaya and Hua Hin years back that was shut down by the Thai navy as they got fed up of having to "rescue' it due to constant breakdowns - Deja-Vu!

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Having worked a lifetime at sea I wouldn't want to be on this vessel in anything above 1m seas!

Sure they got it for a good price when whoever originally ordered it realized it was totally unsuitable for ocean voyages!

Yeah river cats dont make good sea cats !!

Strong winds and waves abort a maiden ferry trip from Pattaya to Hua Hin

IMG_8323.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The Department of Marine yesterday called off the maiden sea voyage from Pattaya to Hua Hin on Sunday due to strong winds and waves in the sea.

It was the first 113-kilometre ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin that was put on trial service yesterday free of charge from January 1-15 before commercial service is to begin January 16 with a 1,250 baht single trip for normal class.

But as the sea was turbulent due to strong winds and waves of up to four metres high, the chief of the Pattaya-based Marine Department Region 6 Mr Ekkarat Kantharo decided to call off the maiden trip yesterday.

The ship, Royal One, was scheduled to set sail from Pattaya’s Bali Hai pier to Hua Hin at 9.00am on a 1.40 hour voyage and return on the same day at 5.00pm.

Distinguished guests on board the maiden trip included the director-general of the Department of Marine Mr Sorasak Saensombat, media representatives, and people who have earlier registered for the maiden trio.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/strong-winds-waves-abort-maiden-ferry-trip-pattaya-hua-hin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-02

They used to use these large Catamarans on the Ostende - Dover run and cancellations were fairly frequent on that run too. They are great in anything up to about a Force 7 in the English Channel after that, they get pretty damned uncomfortable; they are however very fast compared to a conventional car ferry. I suspect they can run in significantly worse conditions but they would need to throttle back substantially and I'd guess the passenger experience would be pretty horrific.

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Strong winds and waves abort a maiden ferry trip from Pattaya to Hua Hin

IMG_8323.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The Department of Marine yesterday called off the maiden sea voyage from Pattaya to Hua Hin on Sunday due to strong winds and waves in the sea.

It was the first 113-kilometre ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin that was put on trial service yesterday free of charge from January 1-15 before commercial service is to begin January 16 with a 1,250 baht single trip for normal class.

But as the sea was turbulent due to strong winds and waves of up to four metres high, the chief of the Pattaya-based Marine Department Region 6 Mr Ekkarat Kantharo decided to call off the maiden trip yesterday.

The ship, Royal One, was scheduled to set sail from Pattaya’s Bali Hai pier to Hua Hin at 9.00am on a 1.40 hour voyage and return on the same day at 5.00pm.

Distinguished guests on board the maiden trip included the director-general of the Department of Marine Mr Sorasak Saensombat, media representatives, and people who have earlier registered for the maiden trio.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/strong-winds-waves-abort-maiden-ferry-trip-pattaya-hua-hin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-02

Thanks for the update, I read similar happened yesterday.

Monsoon Season - December to January? (see Kopitiam post). Really? I go to Thailand (Pattaya and Hua Hin) each February and the weather is calm, dry and hot. I thought "the rainy season" was in August, September and October? 

I intended using this ferry on 11th February? 

Edited by Lipboy
Correction

Seems that those that said there would never be a ferry and it was all a myth are wrong.  Can it be that these are the same people saying that now there is a ferry it will not run?  This is a bigger vessel than my local ferry in OZ and that handles 3meter waves on a 3meter swell - but is also often cancelled.  If this one really does run even half the year I would be on it like a shot. 

6 minutes ago, Mousehound said:

Seems that those that said there would never be a ferry and it was all a myth are wrong.  Can it be that these are the same people saying that now there is a ferry it will not run?  This is a bigger vessel than my local ferry in OZ and that handles 3meter waves on a 3meter swell - but is also often cancelled.  If this one really does run even half the year I would be on it like a shot. 

This aint the 1st time a ferry has run this route. guess what happened to the others ?

20 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

is it a boat?

or is it a tub?

I think its a catamaran style vessel. Should be pretty stable. Shame if it can only be used on calm days. Ticket refunds available I am sure. Before buying said ticket check the weather channel. 

16 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

This is very typical in Thailand.  Jumping into a project without giving it a thorough SWAT analysis.  Typically it is the monsoon season this time of the year (Dec to Feb) in the Gulf of Thailand.  You can only provide this service for 9 months of a year.  To kick off this project at this time, tells you how much planning has gone into it - doomed even before you start.

Monsoon season Dec to Feb?  I don't think so.  Dec to Feb is tourist high season and the least rainy months of the year.  Unless the Gulf is a very special area I don't think that what you wrote is correct

21 hours ago, brucec64 said:

This pretty much sums up the future of this service. Any guesses on how many weeks/months until final cancellation?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

shibber me timbers , all hands on deck , load torpedoes , full steam ahead ................come about , flank speed ,we gunna blow them offa da pier ..................

16 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

how about a better higher speed train and rail system to Pattaya, instead of that slow, granted cheap little train they run now?

All they have to do ( :unsure: ) is extend the Airport Rail Link from Swampy to Pattaya. That will keep the good folks like yourself happy, BUT this is about getting passengers from Pattaya to Hua Hin and back and forth on a ferry that in theory would be large enough to carry vehicles, including motor bikes. That apparently is not happening at this time as it is only a people carrier..

I think the complaints are that:
1.  The ferry can operate in maximum 2 metre seas (nothing wrong with that).
2.  TMD had been forecasting 4 metres seas on 1/1 for days in advance.
3.  They loaded 200 passengers onto the ferry and took a pile of press photos.
4.  Then they cancelled the sailing.

I have no problems with the decision to cancel the sailing.  I have a problem with moving the date of the first voyage forward when they knew that the weather would be bad and then not cancelling the voyage until after loading everyone  was on board. 

For once....the captain made the right decision. Credit due.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

And boats don't encounter problems in any other countries! Wise decision not to set sail in. Poor conditions. Congrats to the Thai authorities responsible and the Thai bashes can go and drown in your grog. 

Boats sink the world over, even in Thailand last year 2m from the river bank. "Thai authorities responsible" is extracting the urine.

1. The operating company is an unknown entity.

2. They announce everything, then start to check - pier not safe/boat not checked.

3. Week later, pier safe? Don't know who the classification authority for the ship is.

4. The world over boats are commissioned. No passengers, just engineers, electricians & an inflated crew of shipyard workers [all of whom have sea-going experience & know what to do in the event of problems].

5. This is not a mini-bus.