Big Bike driver dead after collision with mini van in Bang Len

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver of the van Prajuab Nakkaemthong, 65, said he was making a U-turn without looking when the bike whose driver did nothing wrong, went into the side of his vehicle at normal speed.

The bike had no plates. But plates aren't as good as Buddha amulets. 

The driver had no brain. RIP, biker. What a useless death, killed by a nasty prick. 

Edited by lostinisaan

I'm looking at the picture again and trying to figure out whether the bike hit the right rear of the van or left front. It looks like the former which means that the van and bike were both travelling in the same direction and the van cut out in front of the bike.

50 minutes ago, coxo said:

Being a big bike rider here Thai fck tards never bother looking at U turns and if its a bike coming they just go as they could not care less, my bet that is again exactly what happened here, RIP big bike rider, hope the driver gets a manslaughter charge!!! Fat chance of that!!!

That doesn't happen when you're in a group of ten + with big bikes. Then they slow down. 

The vehicle that does the U -turn has to make sure that no car or BIG BIKE is coming before turning.

And it doesn't look like the guy did that. 

My take on this:

From the photo it appears the bike hit the right rear wheel area of the van.

The bike does not seem to be "embedded" in the van.

The van driver (probably in the middle lane) didn't see the bike coming from behind because her forgot to look. in the mirror and forgot to signal as well.

Van driver being sleepy, made a "late" U turn from the middle lane.

Biker in right lane probably doing about 100 Km/h had no time to avoid a collision as the van pulled in front of him.

7 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

Driver of the van Prajuab Nakkaemthong, 65, said he was making a U-turn without looking when the bike whose driver did nothing wrong, went into the side of his vehicle at normal speed.

The bike had no plates. But plates aren't as good as Buddha amulets. 

The driver had no brain. RIP, biker. What a useless death, killed by a nasty prick. 

Don't make a fool of yourself, just look at the picture and stop making moronic claims pretending to know what happened. Either party may be at fault, as far as we know.

Patthadon Chalachon died, may he rest in peace.

1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

I see a problem arising with advent of more big bikes, especially when they're in large groups.  

What problem? Although i ride alone, when i have seen groups riding with all their lights on, no driver can say he did not see them.

1 hour ago, licka said:

Does anyone think the bike rider was obeying the road rules ?

No plate probably no registration or insurance

Sorry to say but maybe he had a hand in his own demise

No plate means he was speeding? Riding recklessly? 

Do you even ride or drive here in Thailand? The U turn must be the biggest cause of accidents here.

Reading the comments I must drive around different minivans to the rest of you guys. I've never had a problem with them at U turns, it tends to be the big 18wheelers. Most vans around NP drive around 90-110kph and allow me to enter or exit the highways. I only ever see them tailgating or weaving through traffic when there's people driving 60 in the fast lane, oblivious to anyone else around them.

Bike riders on the other hand weave in and out of traffic going way too fast, only millimeters from cars. I try to give them room but by doing so I risk driving into bikes whizzing past the other side of my car. As they drive so quickly from any direction or lane it's very difficult to spot them, it's usually a case of listening for them.

When on a major highway, I keep my speed around 100 kph. I keep a pretty close eye on my mirrors. I am often passed on either side by suicidal big bike riders. They pass me going so fast that often I don't even see them. I only hear the roar as they pass. Any crash at that speed is bound to be fatal.

10 minutes ago, samsensam said:

more than that is required. the authorities need to act. but they wont.

There's something wrong with the authorities here in thailand. Are they corrupt?? Shocking... Or are they just stupid?? Dont know what to do?

39 minutes ago, chrissables said:

No plate means he was speeding? Riding recklessly? 

Do you even ride or drive here in Thailand? The U turn must be the biggest cause of accidents here.

I have yet to see a Thai ride a bike at the speed limit, so please show me one then I may change my mind

And yes I do drive here

The Kawasaki ended up embedded in the side of the van.

From my own experience, the mini van drivers generally in Thailand are horrendous. They drive as if they own the road and everyone have to stay out of their way, failing which they would drive in such a way that seems to push you out of the way.

Having said that, I may not know who is right or wrong in this particular case, but if van drivers are anything to go by, 90% sure they are at fault! 

Edited by Mark T

8 minutes ago, licka said:

I have yet to see a Thai ride a bike at the speed limit, so please show me one then I may change my mind

And yes I do drive here

I am aware you do get a lot of speeding from certain sections of the Thai riders. But also I have met all Thai tour groups on motorbike riding safely too. Much the same for all of us i suggest.

The amount of times i have had to take drastic action to avoid accidents, mostly at U turns is incredible. It seems all vehicles just think they have right of way. At least with the big trucks, they are slow, but with cars etc just turning without checking properly is ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, licka said:

And yes I do drive here

You should start opening your eyes while driving, it's said to improve your driving skills.

2 hours ago, licka said:

Does anyone think the bike rider was obeying the road rules ?

No plate probably no registration or insurance

Sorry to say but maybe he had a hand in his own demise

If it was a new bike, they don't come with plates for a few weeks till the get registered by the agent.

my bike didn't have plates for 2 months.

Normally a vehicle puts on Blinkers to let people know that they are turning.

As a big bike rider, I know this is not always the case and from experience, I know many minivan drivers, drive as if they are a gift to the road and drive aggressively. You don't see many of them give way to others

4 minutes ago, thhMan said:

Normally a vehicle puts on Blinkers to let people know that they are turning.

As a big bike rider, I know this is not always the case and from experience, I know many minivan drivers, drive as if they are a gift to the road and drive aggressively. You don't see many of them give way to others

"Normally a vehicle puts on Blinkers to let people know that they are turning".

In Thailand???????????

Riding my Kawasaki here I quickly realized that U turns could kill me. And that is why I installed very very loud air horns on the bike. I think part of the problem is these drivers doing U turns assume at a glance it is a scooter coming and probably not very fast, and that is why they turn. 200 yards away I would hit the air horns long and loud. One farmer turned his tractor out, and that was pretty much it......also had extra spots on all the time. On a bike it is your responsibility to figure the other guy is an idiot or blind, and do everything to be seen as early as possible, and anticipate a fool is ahead of you.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

When on a major highway, I keep my speed around 100 kph. I keep a pretty close eye on my mirrors. I am often passed on either side by suicidal big bike riders. They pass me going so fast that often I don't even see them. I only hear the roar as they pass. Any crash at that speed is bound to be fatal.

When on a major highway, I will ALWAYS pass a car going at 100 kph, preferably on the right but on the left too if necessary. That's because it would be suicidal for me to stay behind you at 100 kph. 

All that I (and other big bike riders) ask of you is to not make any unnecessary or sudden lane changes. Check, double check and triple check your rearview mirror and both left and right side mirrors before changing lanes. And oh, indicating your intentions with the indicators helps too.

18 minutes ago, Deli said:

Would be interesting to see statistics about how many mini vans are involved in accidents.

Must be a damn scary figure... 

Those statistics were published last week... under the heading on Thai visa of minivans named champions, or something equally silly