Video: Puddle Rage as motorcyclist smashes car window after dousing

webfact

suggest people look up road rules, it does not mention swerving to avoid puddles like most thais do and then make other cars swerve to avoid them. If you dont want to get wet then dont ride a bike after it has rained or avoid riding near puddles when cars are near you, better yet put on a rain coat. While drivers may be able to slow down a bit, actually totally avoiding puddles can lead to accidents, bike riders need to be aware of the fact they may get wet but to actually then smash a window in someones face and risk causing an injury should be a chargeable offence and would be in any western country, he should have been arrested. Sometimes you cannot help but splash someone, these idiots need to get thicker skin and accept responsibility for what they chose to do

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

No, he and his children were exposed to an unexpected spray of water that could have caused him to lose control of the bike leading to, at best, injury and possibly death. 

I know I'd be annoyed. 

He is on the motorcycle,  it is his responsibility to care for his children and not put them in harms way.  If there is water on the road then he should be avoiding it.

The woman did nothing wrong.

The man is a petty little dick.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

He is on the motorcycle,  it is his responsibility to care for his children and not put them in harms way.  If there is water on the road then he should be avoiding it.

The woman did nothing wrong.

The man is a petty little dick.

I disagree on some levels and not so on others.

Sure you can work out which is which.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

No, he and his children were exposed to an unexpected spray of water that could have caused him to lose control of the bike leading to, at best, injury and possibly death. 

I know I'd be annoyed. 

No, he and his, unhelmeted, children...

I know I would be annoyed...

...so I would go and smash the car window in.

Really? BP, would you?

1 minute ago, George Graham said:

No, he and his, unhelmeted, children...

I know I would be annoyed...

...so I would go and smash the car window in.

Really? BP, would you?

Read the rest of the thread. 

Already answered this.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I know I'd be annoyed. 

That's one of the downsides of using a bike on wet roads, surely, what else should expect when riding a bike in those conditions?   Should cars be swerving all over the place to try not to splash the millions of bikes when it's wet? 

He was already exposing his children to a much greater risk by their not wearing helmets, don't you think?

10 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

That's one of the downsides of using a bike on wet roads, surely, what else should expect when riding a bike in those conditions?   Should cars be swerving all over the place to try not to splash the millions of bikes when it's wet? 

He was already exposing his children to a much greater risk by their not wearing helmets, don't you think?

Again...

I am not defending the guy's reaction.

I'm pointing out I can understand why he was annoyed.

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I'm not surprised this doesn't happen more often. People driving cars don't seem to give a crap when driving through puddles.

Where I live it floods terribly. Whether people are ploughing through the streets on bicycles or walking, SUV's, vans and trucks look

go fast because they can and it's up to you to get out of the way. Same on the major roads, they don't care if someone gets splashed.

It's part of driving right?

It's just the way it is. This woman's excuse she couldn't slow down because of traffic "behind" her is ludicrous.

How do you deal with it? The cop says you can't smash people's car windows. How do we deal with it?

The best way to avoid the hazards that come with the territory of riding bikes if you don't like them is not to ride bikes.

I think that its time that the NCPO and Gen Prayut Govt starts focusing their attention to motorcyclists in Thailand. Make it stringer for them to get licenses and also increase the tax on motorbikes and also make the punishment for errant motorbike drivers more harsher. Enough is enough. Just look...how many people on the bike plus the kids had no helmets . These people......God...do not know what to say. Its ok if they die but the problem is most of the time, they get other drivers and vehicles into trouble too.

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Drivers could give a hoot, when there's water on the road.  They splash walkers and bikers with no regard.  When I rode a bicycle to work, it was so bad, I got to a point of catching up to cars and taking off their mirrors. Of course making certain the traffic was so bad they couldn't catch me.  Only did this a couple times...but damn it felt good.  Sorry, it's rude to drive like an ass when there's heavy rain pools.  Arrogance is rampant. 

"Arrogance is rampant."

Boy, oh boy, it sure is.  From some motorists also.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder how fast the car was travelling and whether too fast for a wet slippery road.

The drivers priorities:

- Ignore the motorcycle with father and two kids and their safety to prevent cars from behind hitting her car, and at the same time ignore the possibly that being doused with water could make it difficult for the motorcycle driver to have full clear vision.

How far ahead did she see the motorcycle with driver and pillion? Did she really have no time to turn on her emergency warning lights? Or slow down a little to take up her responsibility to help prevent accidents / help prevent death and injuries.

IMHO all divers have a responsibility, regardless of who is right or wrong by the law, to help prevent accidents and injuries. That's how I was taught to drive by my father and by my police driving instructor.  I've taught my Thai son the same thing and he's a careful driver and watches these things. He has had instances where others in his car have scolded him for slowing down because of wet conditions, because of close motorcycles etc. He ignores the comments and does the right thing. 

She might have seen the motorcycle driver well ahead despite the fact the cars in front of her would have obscured her view of him.

One thing she wouldn't have seen was a puddle on the floor that other cars were driving over.

There are such things that are unavoidable. Giving the choice of swerving out of the way of the puddle at the last moment and causing a pile up or making a motorcyclist a bit wet what would you advise your son to do ?

And saying slow down and drive to a reasonable speed isn't an answer, as it seems this woman was driving at the same speed as all the other road users, so we can assume she was driving at a normal speed for conditions.

1 hour ago, Pigdog747 said:

Puddles like potholes aren't always that easy to avoid

Even though you are right, Thaivisa personifications of driving perfection may disagree with you.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder how fast the car was travelling and whether too fast for a wet slippery road.

The drivers priorities:

- Ignore the motorcycle with father and two kids and their safety to prevent cars from behind hitting her car, and at the same time ignore the possibly that being doused with water could make it difficult for the motorcycle driver to have full clear vision.

How far ahead did she see the motorcycle with driver and pillion? Did she really have no time to turn on her emergency warning lights? Or slow down a little to take up her responsibility to help prevent accidents / help prevent death and injuries.

IMHO all divers have a responsibility, regardless of who is right or wrong by the law, to help prevent accidents and injuries. That's how I was taught to drive by my father and by my police driving instructor.  I've taught my Thai son the same thing and he's a careful driver and watches these things. He has had instances where others in his car have scolded him for slowing down because of wet conditions, because of close motorcycles etc. He ignores the comments and does the right thing. 

I'm with you 100% on this one.

I've been driving a motorcycle in this country for many years, and many times I was doused by cars who could very well have avoided doing it (which was probably not the case here, but I won't discuss that because I wasn't there, and none of us posters was so the argument is sterile). When I compare with my motorcycle driving experience in Europe (for about as many years), I confirm that the dousing (along with many other road matters, but that's another issue) is a lot worse in Thailand.

I have asked myself why and I suggest it has to do with the class/money/power system here. People with more money/power feel that they can hold those with less in utter contempt. It works all the way up. Trucks look down on cars, who look down on motorbikes, who look down on pedestrians. Just because they can.

In Jomtien where crossing the main road was not a big deal just a few years back, it has now become quite a frightening experience, especially as one gets older, and I know of at least one retired expat here who lost his life at the Thappraya/Thepprasit T-junction. A car coming from Thappraya and turning left into Thepprasit just mowed him over as he started to cross. Obviously he thought it was safe because the light was red for the Thepprasitters. A lot of cars do that left turn at full speed and do not wonder for one second if someone might be crossing.

Edited by Yann55

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Again...

I am not defending the guy's reaction.

I'm pointing out I can understand why he was annoyed.

Again...

I'm pointing out that in the situation that he voluntarily put himself in, neither he, nor you, would have any reason to be unduly annoyed with any 3rd party.

Edited by gdgbb

4 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Again...I'm pointing out that in the situation that he voluntarily put himself in neither he, nor you, would have any reason to be annoyed with any 3rd party.

And again I would say while he should not have reacted the way he did, he had every right to be annoyed.

True he was doing a number of irresponsible ways prior to the spraying but drivers spraying people on bikes/on foot does aggravate.

I wouldn't do as he did, but, as I have said, I would use a number of choice phrases and have done so in the past.

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, phycokiller said:

if this was really an issue it would be easy enough for car manufacturers to make cars that dont splash everywhere when they go through a puddle, but its the first time Ive ever seen a puddle splash make the news

They could do this in Thailand, either fit square  wheels  or remove them completely, this would at a stroke seriously stop a lot of the carnage

I see soo many farangs get mad with traffic, foot traffic during walking streets, and just going crazy over everything.   

sooner or later, everyone snaps.   

nobody on this thread would laugh if a car got them wet.  everyone here, except me, would complain for the next 100000000 years.  

ok, back to meditation

I am a bike rider and I understand his anger, I don't condone his actions. Many a time I slow down for a puddle on my bike, only to have a car scream past me with a wave of filthy puddle water drenching me from head to toe. 

Cars here don't care what so ever who gets splashed.

28 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And again I would say while he should not have reacted the way he did, he had every right to be annoyed.

True he was doing a number of irresponsible ways prior to the spraying but drivers spraying people on bikes/on foot does aggravate.

I wouldn't do as he did, but, as I have said, I would use a number of choice phrases and have done so in the past.

And, again, I maintain that he was wrong to be so pissed of by the lady who splashed him.

Edited by gdgbb

Just now, gdgbb said:

And, again, I maintain that he was wrong to be so pissed of by the lady who splashed him.

Accidentally splashing another road use aggravates what?

And as have said on a number of occasions, his actions were wrong, but I understand why he was annoyed.

For reasons I have repeatedly outlined.

10 minutes ago, greg1981 said:

I am a bike rider and I understand his anger, I don't condone his actions. Many a time I slow down for a puddle on my bike, only to have a car scream past me with a wave of filthy puddle water drenching me from head to toe. 

Cars here don't care what so ever who gets splashed.

They must have been huge puddles to drench you from head to toe, and so many times also.  Some people never learn.

"Cars here don't care what so ever who gets splashed."

And motorcyclists are, of course, such a caring bunch.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And as have said on a number of occasions, his actions were wrong, but I understand why he was annoyed.

For reasons I have repeatedly outlined.

And, as I have said in a number of occasions, his annoyance was misplaced.

Just now, gdgbb said:

And, as I have said in a number of occasions, his annoyance was misplaced.

Never said he was right, I said I understand why he was annoyed.

Especially as he had two kids on his bike.

The car drivers actions [although not deliberate] could have caused him to lose control.

Did the driver deliberately spray him, of course not [well according to their version of events anyway and I have no reason to doubt it].

However, the incident happened and he over-reacted, but I can understand his why he was angered and annoyed. It's happened to me in the past and my immediate reaction was "you #$@%"

Shit happens, but that doesn't mean we always accept it and move on.

That takes a bit more self control than the bike rider had.

None the less, though he was wrong, though he over reacted, I can see why he lost it.

Again, doesn't mean i condone his actions.

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Not sure what you mean by wondering why they grow up with anger issues. The majority of Thais I've met in my 13 years living here are kind and gentle people and I've never seen then blow. Not like back in the US or in Europe. 

Really ? 13 years and still knowing nothing about the country and the people ?

Maybe 13 years more needed ?

Where I'm from, bike riders are taught to ride at the speed of the traffic.

this simple tactic, oftentimes prevents these issues

that said... if your out riding in wet conditions... expect to get wet... duh!

this is an example of road rage... amongst other things, and cannot be condoned

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

The drivers priorities:

SPOT ON!! ( IMHO of course )