From city life, to country life.

roo860

Just returned back to Chiang Mai from visiting in laws outside of Utteradit city (rural area) for New Year.

Am sure TV members have got stories good and bad about the experience. I find it a bit like camping, first couple of nights great, then the novelty wears off, saying that, I love em to bits.

Anyway enough said, over to you.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to live in a rural area of Thailand you must build your own world, a home and garden that you want to live in with a family you love. If you can do this you will not live in paradise but it will make life in  Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok a poor second.

I live in a beautiful house surrounded by trees and friendly people. I cook my own food, watch any TV I want and go swimming every day. life in rural Thailand is what you make it.

I love a trip to Phuket or Pattaya but after a week I long to go home. Bangkok/London is my idea of hell.

One relative bought me 6 big Leos for new year gift. I have a brother in law who works in S Africa, not seen him for 10yrs. He woke me at 7am new years day, asked me if I fancied a beer with him and a mate. Told him no thanks but there's some in the fridge. He said not anymore, we were up at 5am and drunk em! They were still drinking at 9pm.
His wife came round at 8am told him breakfast was ready, he nipped home and was back here on the sauce in no time.

4 hours ago, sipi said:

Our village in Isaan is like Manhattan compared to where we live in Australia.

Either you like the outback or you don't. 

Holy hell sipi....Where the bloody hell do you live in Australia.....lol

There is a world of difference between living in a country village and visiting. As a visitor, yes, as said above, kind of like camping which is fun for a couple of days. Living here, I have my own home, and we have even built a compound through the years for family. 4 houses now and about 20 people, from an elderly aunt who takes care of the grounds to a couple of toddlers. 

Just as most here, I  sleep in my own comfortable bed and make my own fresh coffee in the morning. Great internet service. There is plenty of involvement with family activities, a trip into our local city near every day, shopping and restaurants there, pick up my niece at school and drive her home. All in all a full and pleasant life, and our only traffic jams are pictured below...

DSC03254.jpg

There is a world of difference between living in a country village and visiting. As a visitor, yes, as said above, kind of like camping which is fun for a couple of days. Living here, I have my own home, and we have even built a compound through the years for family. 4 houses now and about 20 people, from an elderly aunt who takes care of the grounds to a couple of toddlers. 

Just as most here, I  sleep in my own comfortable bed and make my own fresh coffee in the morning. Great internet service. There is plenty of involvement with family activities, a trip into our local city near every day, shopping and restaurants there, pick up my niece at school and drive her home. All in all a full and pleasant life, and our only traffic jams are pictured below...

DSC03254.jpg.a3b5cb34fb410f336ed438146f3ab077.jpg

Are you far from the city?

Hi Roo... 

It's about a 30 minute ride, straight highway - my niece, who we have been raising since a toddler, likes to go to the special learning classes after school. The bus that takes her in the morning goes home before that. So, most days, I pick her up. I have a comfy vehicle, well packed with favorite music and will often have a foot massage at the local temple and a meal in town. Gives me a reason to get out and around... 

Another advantage to country living is that language comes easier when you are immersed and the country people are very friendly.  And all that said, I think the internet access and being able to stream movies and sports, skype and email with friends, makes it all possible. Without internet, it would feel too disconnected. 

Hi Roo... 

It's about a 30 minute ride, straight highway - my niece, who we have been raising since a toddler, likes to go to the special learning classes after school. The bus that takes her in the morning goes home before that. So, most days, I pick her up. I have a comfy vehicle, well packed with favorite music and will often have a foot massage at the local temple and a meal in town. Gives me a reason to get out and around... 

Another advantage to country living is that language comes easier when you are immersed and the country people are very friendly.  And all that said, I think the internet access and being able to stream movies and sports, skype and email with friends, makes it all possible. Without internet, it would feel too disconnected. 

What i do love is the food, it keeps coming from auntys, nieces, just like a conveyor belt!!!!!

10 minutes ago, roo860 said:

What i do love is the food, it keeps coming from auntys, nieces, just like a conveyor belt!!!!!

Yes, it seems like they are always making something, roasting pork, making Suki, roasting bananas, which are on the trees everywhere. Fresh mango and papaya and jack fruit in the yard. And between the people and the dogs and chickens, nothing is ever wasted... 

Sounds lovely. My Mrs family live in a real hell hole IMO but I had a lovely couple of nights sleep over Christmas in there house. Woken each morning by MIL who was up at 5.19am both days getting rice on the stove. I woke up with immediate thoughts of a fire but turns out the neighbours were cold and fancied a breakfast BBQ.  I feel bad for the old man in some ways he is a real hard working chap and I guess I'm old fashioned I prefer to wait till he sits down to eat before eating. No way do I fancy that rural life I am sure there are better experiences no doubt but I'm a city boy at heart but it's great to visit once a week.

38 minutes ago, The Dancer said:

No dance clubs? Bars? Late-night alcocarts?

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older

Avicii

Hey, there is no law saying any one of us can't go on vacation to a livelier beach town any time we want... the only requirement is to come back with loads of seafood packed on ice and let the bar bq begin... 

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Sounds lovely. My Mrs family live in a real hell hole IMO but I had a lovely couple of nights sleep over Christmas in there house. Woken each morning by MIL who was up at 5.19am both days getting rice on the stove. I woke up with immediate thoughts of a fire but turns out the neighbours were cold and fancied a breakfast BBQ.  I feel bad for the old man in some ways he is a real hard working chap and I guess I'm old fashioned I prefer to wait till he sits down to eat before eating. No way do I fancy that rural life I am sure there are better experiences no doubt but I'm a city boy at heart but it's great to visit once a week.

It is different when you have your own house. I would not want to be a visitor either, but once a week is not bad.. and I love going into the city and going out. It brings a certain amount of enthusiasm and excitement... maybe all the more so for living somewhere so quiet - contrast!

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hi Roo... 

I like the sound of that actually Kenk. The reason I don't really like the rural life is specific to her families home and surroundings. Very big difference between her family and those around them. I would live to take her old man and her mom in but she don't think her mom will budge. I understand it but I'm hoping maybe in the future we can prise them away with grandkids etc. 

11 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

Interesting how Inserting your self amongst non like minded people not to mention the language barrier and watching rice grow is made out be to good fun.. I'm not buying it!

You know people talk too much about these rice fields. I like sugar cane myself. Driving along I'll suddenly get an urge for a bit of sugar cane. I creep out the car scoot right onto some poor farmers 50 rai and rip a big piece of fresh cane out and run back to the car like a getaway driver robbing a bank. 

So for me I steer clear of shopping malls. Not much sugar cane 

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I like the sound of that actually Kenk. The reason I don't really like the rural life is specific to her families home and surroundings. Very big difference between her family and those around them. I would live to take her old man and her mom in but she don't think her mom will budge. I understand it but I'm hoping maybe in the future we can prise them away with grandkids etc. 

Well, there is no type of living that works well for everyone... I have lived in cities and lived isolated too in other places. I am not trapped here, but my family, who are very nice people, I think they would be lost outside of the village. This is all they know. It will not be easy for them to relocate from their village. 

Country life ftw.

I lived in the Australian outback for about 5 years before I moved to Thailand, and was very surprised to find that even a short stopover in Bangkok drove me nuts.  I love the sense of community out here in the small village, how happy people are, and the general willingness to help one another.  I'm also fond of the strange animals that find their way into our home.  Being able to take the bike out on decent rides without battling traffic is great.  

9 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, it seems like they are always making something, roasting pork, making Suki, roasting bananas, which are on the trees everywhere. Fresh mango and papaya and jack fruit in the yard. And between the people and the dogs and chickens, nothing is ever wasted... 

Amen to that.  I know we do not live to far apart Kenk24.  I feel the same. 15 or so minutes from downtown Lampang, nice roads .  Our neighborhood is small and the people are very polite and pleasant. Live walking distance from the river. Like others food always coming.  Nothing goes to waste.  We have a very well kept market about 2kms away. 

I love country life. Walk the bit of land we have to see what FIL planted. We have Mango, Papaya, Coconut, Lumyai, Banana trees. FIL has long beans, chili's, basil and other spices. Roosters crowing. Birds doing their thing.  No cars no traffic.  

I can do a day in CM but am happy to leave it. 

1 hour ago, akirasan said:

Country life ftw.

I lived in the Australian outback for about 5 years before I moved to Thailand, and was very surprised to find that even a short stopover in Bangkok drove me nuts.  I love the sense of community out here in the small village, how happy people are, and the general willingness to help one another.  I'm also fond of the strange animals that find their way into our home.  Being able to take the bike out on decent rides without battling traffic is great.  

Yes. it is the happiness that I am very drawn to... my family functions as one unit too, not that there aren't probleems, just that they can totally ban together and rely on each other... very functional. 

And right now, not sure if it is the same frog, I have put him out a couple of times but I think he keeps coming back. I find him in the kitchen or bathroom every morning... he plays in my dogs water dish too and for some reason, the dog doesn't swat him... 

It is funny because I have always lived in the country by choice before moving to Thailand

But country western & country Thai are two different things

Country Western is quiet...super quiet

Country Thai is anything but quiet.

Villages are usually close knit & built tight saving land for farming.

As such it can get a bit noisy/busy with folks stopping in all day as they walk past

I liked it actually but it usually took a couple days to acclimate after having been away

to our main place in CM

But once acclimated I did quite like it.

Village folks are some of the best . Hard working honest folks in my experiences over

the years we liver in Thailand. The one downfall I would say is the boredom does lead them to drink more

& more. Some of them learn early thru stomach problems etc & quit or cut back but others

are like energizer bunnies & drink every night heavily.

To their credit they do still get up early & work hard, but that drinking takes its toll

for sure. Many start with beer when young then change to Hong Thong/ Sang Som etc..Then finally the white

lightening home brew.

But yes while there I always enjoyed it after the first few days & after a few weeks

really felt at home right about the time we were leaving again.

Now that we have moved back to the west I think of our family members there often.

Edited by mania

Village life to me in issan thai is a joke and a s??? Hole could not wait to get out of the s??? Hole , I was staying 3 months In my friends home he has two homes on his land , big dam to fish in every day swimming pool aircon and a great looking thai partner to wake up to every morning but after 2 weeks could not stand the village s??? Life .

Needed to stay in his home because I hard something to do in issan.

i am a city boy not like the country life at all , love the city life .

village life to me is for poor Thais who can't afford city life .

not understand how lots of western man give up their life's to live in a thai village but up to them .

but has a lot to do with their thai partners .

and nowwwwwwww for " the other side of  village  life"

Nosey, always complaining about anything you do, asking to borrow   money, all smiles when "they" want something all "not interested"  if  u ask them for something.....I  call it "  The  Village of the Damned"...thankfully Im some  way outside of it and have little  to nothing to do with them.