From city life, to country life.

roo860

On 4/18/2017 at 8:31 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Many here paint a very idyllic country life style.

Well in my wife's small dusty village some 60km from SiSaket I didn't find it that way. Okay didn't live there, only stayed sometimes 5 days and we drove back to our house in Pattaya.

Wife's neighbor were slowly parking all their crap closer and closer to her house saying it was their land. Wife got the land department coming and mark the plots involved and yes they were 10mtr inside her land so she build a wall (on her land), neighbor family were furious and their friend; the village chief too.

Then my wife's sister husband build a house behind my wife's house despite she telling them not to. That took 3 years in court to get them out. This yaba smoking woman abuser was a real nasty piece of kit and is now in jail for drug trafficking and my wife's sister has disappeared, leaving her 5 children behind. My wife's younger brother takes care of them now and my wife allowed them to stay in the illegally build house until they can take care of themselves and the younger brother (good man) stays in my wife's house looking after them.

No  plans of ever returning and my wife will sell her house and land when her sister's kids have grown up.

My 7 year old son attend a very good private school here in fun town and speaks as good English as Thai. Nobody in that little dusty village outside SiSaket can speak English but they can off-course easily get a job farming, earning perhaps 100-200baht a day with free rice soup included.      

Similar but I had nothing to do with them really, my Wife s  family, she sold all her land in Loei 40 rai and her house there to escape them and  we  live about 500km from them. I think this is more common here than many of the  rosy glassed people think.

I do wish my view wasnt what it is about  Thailand but Ive seen too much over  11 years to have those rosy thoughts and certainly the  glimmer of "good" here is "just that"

I do however like the countryside and  do wake up to this everyday with no neighbours

P1000722.JPG

Edited by kannot

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came back from a Songkran home visit with friends, a Thai couple and their daughter and her bf, to a village 25 kms out of Phrae. The young couple, daughter with bf, left after two days with their peers. Thanks to them I had a chance to go to the rapids in the Mae Yom national park nearby. Once the young people were gone, I was left to my own device. My thai friend the wife took the SUV out almost every day to go to class reunions, the husband left at home with me was content to lie down and be glued to his mobile, at least he doesn't smoke or drink. I think he was as happy as mum being away from the wife for a change. Asking him to go somewhere would get him to say that "it's too hot (are you crazy?) to step outside the house" and this is from someone who spends the rest of the year stuck in steamy (weather-wise that is) Bangkok.

To get something for breakfast, sweet sticky rice along with some bananas and fresh soy milk for example, I had to rely on the kindness of one of the sister in laws who goes every morning to the village market, which opens and closes between 4 and 5 am. To get some thing I can eat for dinner I had to jump for the chance to go to the evening market, which is in the retail area of the moo baan, 6 kms from the house, that is if the SUV gets back in time. The rest of the time I couldn't eat their homecooked meals, which has kapi (shrimp paste) in every dish, and this is served 3 times a day. Never in my life I would have thought I'd have to walk around scavenging fruits from the trees!

One time I took the whole gaggle of sisters/sis in laws, to a starbuck style coffee shop in town proper, and they turned it into their happy hour,  downing endless chang bottles along with plates of buffalo wings (or a local version of that). Soon I started drinking at home with the men as well (and the women also joined in as well), endless shots of homebrew whiskies (notoriously high in alcohol content), at least at these gatherings there is something barbecued or other that I can eat.

I think I'll die of boredom or starvation, whichever comes first, if I stay on longer - or my liver would just call it quit. A family drive somewhere - to the water reservoir for example, which happened once or twice during our 10 days visit - invariably had someone getting lost because they took a wrong turn, or were told to take a wrong turn. Then the whole convoy would simply halt and wait. That sure happened on the first day when we went to the rapids, but that was a bit further than their normal stomping grounds so at least I wouldn't blame it on their cluelessness at first. But soon I was glad that I didn't speak or understand much thai, amidst all that constant chatter; my ears were so thankful when all that died down at night, and I never thought that the sound of the gecko, "kack keh, kack keh" as if chiming the late night hours, could be so soothing.

The first day after we came back to Bangkok - I was singing the Marseillaise on the journey home - I made numerous trips to stock up my refrigerator that the reception downstairs in my building thought I was having a party! (Yes, with I, me and myself.) Today the husband asked me if I'm going back next year, that got him a painful jab in the ribs.
moobaan.jpg.1b3e6c6b50772035bf892aec295ba5f6.jpg

Nice Post.Very true ,I can only add that many say they Like Off Grid is because they spent so much building something too soon ,they are trapped,so make the most of it.Personally I find it hell being away from the Sea and hardly a friend within an hours round trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The bottom line is that Thailand is a great place to retire. You can live in a city, on the beach, on top of a mountain or even on an island. I live in a very scenic mountainous area, water falls and all. My original first choice was in Prachuap Kirikhan. That area has both the beach and the mountains. I have to admit that since my wife already had a house in Loei province, that made the move much easier and I could always go back to the farang ghetto of Jomtien. Settling in Prachuap would have meant finding a place to live and it wouldn't have been so easy to make the move back.

There is a world of difference between living in a country village and visiting. As a visitor, yes, as said above, kind of like camping which is fun for a couple of days. Living here, I have my own home, and we have even built a compound through the years for family. 4 houses now and about 20 people, from an elderly aunt who takes care of the grounds to a couple of toddlers. 

They must love you too onto a good thing here 5 houses in total I wounder how much of there own money did they put into it. Lord of the fly's more like it ;0    Each to there own  Thais can smell a sucker from 800 ks away

Yes, I don't mind a bit of rural living, land and ponds to muck around with. We live about 2 km from the centre of a major town, 30 km from a city (Khon Kaen) and 30 km from an airport. It's nice to have the best of both worlds.

House pond 5.jpg

House pond 2.jpg

Back pond 2.jpg

Back Lot 5.jpg

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Yes, I don't mind a bit of rural living, land and ponds to muck around with. We live about 2 km from the centre of a major town, 30 km from a city (Khon Kaen) and 30 km from an airport. It's nice to have the best of both worlds.

House pond 5.jpg

House pond 2.jpg

Back pond 2.jpg

Back Lot 5.jpg

More  pics of the house pls

14 hours ago, Gary A said:

The bottom line is that Thailand is a great place to retire. You can live in a city, on the beach, on top of a mountain or even on an island. I live in a very scenic mountainous area, water falls and all. My original first choice was in Prachuap Kirikhan. That area has both the beach and the mountains. I have to admit that since my wife already had a house in Loei province, that made the move much easier and I could always go back to the farang ghetto of Jomtien. Settling in Prachuap would have meant finding a place to live and it wouldn't have been so easy to make the move back.

You are right, to each his own off-course.

The most appealing houses/land I seen owned by expats in Thailand (as much as you can own land) was in the housing forum where there was a topic about TV posters houses/land and there was a house with commanding ocean views on a mountain side on one of the islands, boy that was a nice place man but okay now we are talking big money now, real big money and I am not too keen on living on an island full time.

For me with a kid in school, my choices are limited (money too, he-he), I need a good (Int) school for him and my wife now loves the ocean near by so we will stay in the farang ghetto in Pattaya for now.

I am currently toying with the idea of start living in Southern Europe (Portugal/Spain/Italy, not sure yet) during the summer month when I retire in about 8 years time and then spending my winters here in Patts, but it's too far out in the future to predict if it will materialize or not, I am still checking my options.     

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

You are right, to each his own off-course.

The most appealing houses/land I seen owned by expats in Thailand (as much as you can own land) was in the housing forum where there was a topic about TV posters houses/land and there was a house with commanding ocean views on a mountain side on one of the islands, boy that was a nice place man but okay now we are talking big money now, real big money and I am not too keen on living on an island full time.

For me with a kid in school, my choices are limited (money too, he-he), I need a good (Int) school for him and my wife now loves the ocean near by so we will stay in the farang ghetto in Pattaya for now.

I am currently toying with the idea of start living in Southern Europe (Portugal/Spain/Italy, not sure yet) during the summer month when I retire in about 8 years time and then spending my winters here in Patts, but it's too far out in the future to predict if it will materialize or not, I am still checking my options.     

I have a similar  plan and  bought land in Madeira ( perfect  place) and southern Spain...........just incase I have to exit quickly.

Madeira  land below 

P1180285.JPG

I thought Madeira was Portuguese islands in the Atlantic? 

Well looks very nice anyway, no plastic bags laying around, Thailand is turning into one big garbage bin, sad really.

Further you can as a EU citizen actually buy and own as much land as you pleases (I am no from the UK) and visa is just a formality.

Edited by guzzi850m2

20 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Lived there for many years.North side too remote,my Ex is still there moaning no doubt.IMG_2523.JPG?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Im on the  sunny south about 2km from Calheta which has a beach, yeah the North is too wet and remote but with the new roads I can be in Funchal in 25  minutes whizzing thru all those EU funded  tunnels.

Guzzi, Madeira is  part of Portugal but I also have some Land in Spain ie TWO  plots in all....couldnt decide which but Madeira  appeals the best as not too hot/cold and they are  pretty civilised lot there, genteel shall we  say, its where old folks  with a few  bob go to die hahahaha................In not old by the way.

You got that  Hotties  phone number i reckon with no teeth shed be perfect for........................

10 hours ago, kannot said:

Im on the  sunny south about 2km from Calheta which has a beach, yeah the North is too wet and remote but with the new roads I can be in Funchal in 25  minutes whizzing thru all those EU funded  tunnels.

Guzzi, Madeira is  part of Portugal but I also have some Land in Spain ie TWO  plots in all....couldnt decide which but Madeira  appeals the best as not too hot/cold and they are  pretty civilised lot there, genteel shall we  say, its where old folks  with a few  bob go to die hahahaha................In not old by the way.

You got that  Hotties  phone number i reckon with no teeth shed be perfect for........................

and you could hang onto those ears......

I enjoy the peace and beauty of the Thai countryside and love spending our vacations up country. I grew up in Amish country and have never enjoyed the city or understood why people choose to live in such hectic and overcrowded rat races. Never needed the restaurants, clubs, bars or shopping and my living was purposely never dependent on being in or near a city. Meaningless diversions that take us away from truly living.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect