Thai Consulates in US can not longer issue multi-entry visas

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But if they were any of the only FOUR regular/OFFICIAL Thai consulates -- Wash DC, NY, LA and Chicago

The one in Washington DC is the embassy, not a consulate. The other three ate official consulates. For some reason in many countries that have both a Thai embassy and official consulates, people often find that dealing with the embassy is more difficult than with the consulates. 

39 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Technically No, since the Thai Embassy in Washington is now enforcing geographical requirements for the use of consulates and the Embassy. Florida is now handled by the Consular section of the Washington Embassy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It is a honorary consulate in Florida. The embassy is in DC all others are official or honorary consulates.

Well I just got my multi entry visa on November 18.I sent my passport to Oregon and they said noo .I sent to Los Angeles and YES.$200 and it works fine for me

That's because Oregon is an honary consulate. Honary Consulates have been prohibited from issuing "multi entry" visas for several years now

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

That's because Oregon is an honary consulate. Honary Consulates have been prohibited from issuing "multi entry" visas for several years now

Only since August of last year not years. Or are you writing about OA multiple entry visas that could be issued at some honorary consulates at one time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

"Each year I obtain a new non imm o-a multi entry visa via the Thai Consulate in LA..."

Can I ask why you are getting a new visa each year?  

If you enter just prior to the visa expiring, you get another year, giving you almost two years stay out of one visa. 

Only a NON-OA visa would allow 2 years of total stay. A multiple entry non-o visa only allows a total stay of about 15 months.

37 minutes ago, TerryLH said:
"Each year I obtain a new non imm o-a multi entry visa via the Thai Consulate in LA..."

Can I ask why you are getting a new visa each year?  
If you enter just prior to the visa expiring, you get another year, giving you almost two years stay out of one visa. 

We split our time between Thailand and the US and we wish to travel and stay on our own schedule, not one beholden to visa expiration dates. It works best for us.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

The post I replied to said o-a.

If you had you used the quote function I would of seen the entire post and who it was from. Just take the time to click quote before posting your reply.

6 hours ago, al007 said:

Surely the easy way is 

Arrive on exempt tourist stamp

Change to non 0 can be done in Bangkok, I think this gives you 3 mths, no criminal check required

Have 800,000 batt in account and at end of nonO convert to retirement extension, and also gat multiple reentry permit at the same time

I am sure the experts will say where I am wrong, if I am

Eligibility:

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
3. Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
4. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
5. Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535   http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

I assume rule 4 precludes applying for a category O-A in Thailand.

• Like 1

This is the rule that is putting me off of the six month multi-entry tourist visa:

5. A copy of  bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)   http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Had I known six months ago about the need to maintain this balance I could have arranged it.  I don't normally keep that much in a (near) zero interest bank account.

My last visa was in January 2016 obtained from Oregon.  It was a 6month MEV that began counting down the day they issued it.  IOW, I could enter and exit Thailand as many times as I wanted, as long as it was done before the 6 month period ran out.  [emoji848]

Best way around that would be to fly from US to Laos. Stay one night in Laos whilst awaiting your visa. Sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Best way around that would be to fly from US to Laos. Stay one night in Laos whilst awaiting your visa. Sorted.

I don't think a Thai consulate in Laos will issue a multiple-entry tourist visa to a US resident.

• Like 1

The triple-entry tourist visa is no longer available. The tourist visa is now single-entry or multiple-entry.

I see, I had no idea buddy. I should of asked a few of the guys what there visas area.

My last tourist visa was towards the end of 2014, I thought the PM promised to make life easier for tourists?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heybruce said:

Eligibility:

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
3. Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
4. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
5. Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535   http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

I assume rule 4 precludes applying for a category O-A in Thailand.

You would not be applying for a OA visa. If you entered with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry you would first apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. 

Then during the last 30 days o the 90 entry you would apply for the one year extension of stay. If using the money in the bank option it would need to be in bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

This is the rule that is putting me off of the six month multi-entry tourist visa:

5. A copy of  bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)   http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Had I known six months ago about the need to maintain this balance I could have arranged it.  I don't normally keep that much in a (near) zero interest bank account.

For the METV, the bank deposit isn't supposed to be in a Thai bank, unlike the in-country extensions. For an METV, the deposit is generally supposed to be in your home country where you're applying.

Also, I think, depending on the location, the term "bank statement" might be interpretted broadly, such as including things like brokerage accounts or CDs, etc.  The purpose is to ensure that the applicant has sufficient financial resources.

The thing that might trip up a lot of people re the METV is the required employer certification, which you're not likely to have if you're retired. So, recently, I wrote the L.A. Consulate about that asking, and they replied by email saying that it would be OK to just write in that section "retired", so long as I could still show the financial proof.  So they can and do apply some discretion.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

17 hours ago, sean420 said:

Well I just got my multi entry visa on November 18.I sent my passport to Oregon and they said noo .I sent to Los Angeles and YES.$200 and it works fine for me

Yeah, the OP later posted that the honorary consulate in Miami and I think he said Atlanta said no can do. 

17 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, the OP later posted that the honorary consulate in Miami and I think he said Atlanta said no can do. 

Re METVs, as has often been reported here, the Embassy in DC and the three official consulates in L.A., NY and Chicago CAN.

The various HONORARY Thai consulates in various other U.S. cities CANNOT.

So basically, the OP's headline for this thread is wrong. Official Thai consulates (and Embassy) in the U.S. still can and do issue METVs.

It's only the HONORARY Consulates that were barred from issuing METVs starting some time back.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

Yeah, I can't imagine even doing this.  While I have a portfolio and always have cash in checking and savings,  guaranteeing that 7,000 is in one account and never ever went below that is possible but not something I normally do.  I move money from my checking to my brokerage etc.  Could a person plan for this, yes.  Will they accept the money being in more than one account, say $5k in savings and >2K in my checking?  Or would they accept somewhat similar to how the 800 k Baht must be seasoned for certain Thai visas, that $7,000 USD is present at the close of each month, but it can go up and down during the month?

19 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine even doing this.  While I have a portfolio and always have cash in checking and savings,  guaranteeing that 7,000 is in one account and never ever went below that is possible but not something I normally do.  I move money from my checking to my brokerage etc.  Could a person plan for this, yes.  Will they accept the money being in more than one account, say $5k in savings and >2K in my checking?  Or would they accept somewhat similar to how the 800 k Baht must be seasoned for certain Thai visas, that $7,000 USD is present at the close of each month, but it can go up and down during the month?

I don't think it has to be in a savings account. Any type of account should be accepted. They should really say a financial institution instead of bank I think.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think it has to be in a savings account. Any type of account should be accepted. They should really say a financial institution instead of bank I think.

Here we get into the issue of interpretation of rules by embassy and consulate bureaucrats.  If they accept evidence of an IRA account of $7000 or more going back six months, I could show them one going back decades.  Perhaps some honorary consulates would accept that.  However I, and a significant fraction of the US population, are expected to use the Thai Embassy in Washington DC, which seems to be an unreasonable stickler for letter of the law rules enforcement.

Has anyone had experience getting a category O-A visa from this embassy?  Are reports of them being difficult correct?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Here we get into the issue of interpretation of rules by embassy and consulate bureaucrats.  If they accept evidence of an IRA account of $7000 or more going back six months, I could show them one going back decades.  Perhaps some honorary consulates would accept that.  However I, and a significant fraction of the US population, are expected to use the Thai Embassy in Washington DC, which seems to be an unreasonable stickler for letter of the law rules enforcement.

Has anyone had experience getting a category O-A visa from this embassy?  Are reports of them being difficult correct?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, heybruce said:

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know about the August date, I only just learned that I couldn't get my visa in the same manner as last year, and several years before.

It's humbling to admit this, but I definitely qualify for a retirement visa.  Perhaps I could get the visa with a background check from my state Department of Law Enforcement, but since the DC visa service had no reason to lie to me (it cost them my business) I will assume they told the truth when they said the Thai Embassy in DC will only accept FBI background checks.  I will attempt to get my visa through the Chicago consulate using a visa service there.

As always, the written rules don't matter, it's how the bureaucrats choose to interpret these rules that matter.

I applied for and received a multi-entry retirement visa from the LA Consulate a few months ago. I used a background check from the state police and they accepted it unquestioningly. Make sure you get everything notarized though...including the background check, our state police (Washington) charged an extra fee for the notarization. I applied for the background check online.

I went to the consulate in person because of the long wait time listed on the website for the consulate, but others reported that they had applied by mail and received their passports back with the visas in less than half of the time on listed on the website.  hope this helps

Edited by Lee4Life
grammar
  • Like 2