Thai Consulates in US can not longer issue multi-entry visas

I'm in the US now attempting to get my first retirement (OA) visa.  I've lived in Thailand for several years on a different type O visa.  I've been notified by two consulates that they can no longer issue multiple entry visas.  I've also been told by an embassy service that the Thai Embassy in DC will only accept a criminal background check by the FBI.  I also have been warned that the Thai Embassy is a real stickler and will reject visa applications for any reason.

In short, it is much harder to get a multiple entry visa in the US now. 

My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere in this forum.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the honorary consulates cannot issue multiple entry visas since August of last year. The official consulates in NY, LA and Chicago can still issue them if you qualify for one.

As far as I know a background check by the FBI is not the only one they will accept. From the embassy website. 

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know about the August date, I only just learned that I couldn't get my visa in the same manner as last year, and several years before.

It's humbling to admit this, but I definitely qualify for a retirement visa.  Perhaps I could get the visa with a background check from my state Department of Law Enforcement, but since the DC visa service had no reason to lie to me (it cost them my business) I will assume they told the truth when they said the Thai Embassy in DC will only accept FBI background checks.  I will attempt to get my visa through the Chicago consulate using a visa service there.

As always, the written rules don't matter, it's how the bureaucrats choose to interpret these rules that matter.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know about the August date, I only just learned that I couldn't get my visa in the same manner as last year, and several years before.

It's humbling to admit this, but I definitely qualify for a retirement visa.  Perhaps I could get the visa with a background check from my state Department of Law Enforcement, but since the DC visa service had no reason to lie to me (it cost them my business) I will assume they told the truth when they said the Thai Embassy in DC will only accept FBI background checks.  I will attempt to get my visa through the Chicago consulate using a visa service there.

As always, the written rules don't matter, it's how the bureaucrats choose to interpret these rules that matter.

They're not lying, they just don't know the exact rules.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the honorary consulates cannot issue multiple entry visas since August of last year. The official consulates in NY, LA and Chicago can still issue them if you qualify for one.

As far as I know a background check by the FBI is not the only one they will accept. From the embassy website. 

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

If for some reason some consulates are only accepting FBI checks, , it is not a big deal.  It looks like the FBI check can be requested, cost $18 USD.  You can get fingerprinted often at your local police station for a fee, or once I got it done at one of those Mailing stores that do all sorts of things.  It is so common these days for background checks for employment in the USA such that many places offer a finger printing service.   https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

What consulates in the USA told you they were no longer issuing METVs? 

I see no mention of a METV other than your post. Only O and OA visas.

None of the honorary consulates can issue a METV since August.

From Portland consulate website. http://www.thai-or.com/

EFFECTIVE AUGUST 15, 2016, WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ISSUE MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST OR NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR SINGLE ENTRY TOURIST, TRANSIT AND NON-IMMIGRANT O, B OR ED VISAS ONLY.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR MULTIPLE ENTRY VISAS AT THE LOS ANGELES CONSULATE OR THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY IN WASHINGTON, DC.

11 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

If for some reason some consulates are only accepting FBI checks, , it is not a big deal.  It looks like the FBI check can be requested, cost $18 USD. 

For some it might be because of how it can take to get a FBI check.

From the site your posted a link to.

Current processing time is 12-14 weeks. Allow additional time for mail delivery.

From a state it might only be a couple of days.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Agreed.  I got mine from my local Florida city in three days.  And I wouldn't trust the FBI process.  Not the information just the means of submitting the stuff.  The site even mentions some channeler or something or other.  Uggh.  Sounds messy and fraught with ways that could go wrong, miss an initial, spell a street name wrong, etc.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Current processing time is 12-14 weeks. Allow additional time for mail delivery.

That's the driver for me.  I allowed 7 weeks in the US to get a new passport and visa.  The  passport only took about a week and a half, the visa is a concern.  I don't have time for the FBI check.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

34 minutes ago, stevenl said:

They're not lying, they just don't know the exact rules.

How do you know the people in the Thai embassy know the rules?

The visa service has much more experience working with the Thai Embassy than I do.  Also, they weren't profiting from telling me how hard it is to get a visa from the embassy in DC, they were driving my business away.  I think they were telling the truth.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why you want to use a visa service. You could easily do it yourself in person or by mail.

I personally would not have a lot of faith in what a for profit visa service told me something that might result in higher costs and a greater profit for them.

Time limitations and a recommendation from someone working in the visa section of the embassy.  An experienced visa service can walk my visa through and make sure my passport doesn't get stuck on someone's desk.

The nearest embassy or consulate is about a thousand miles from where I'm staying.  Taking care of the visa in person would be the most expensive option.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Time limitations and a recommendation from someone working in the visa section of the embassy.  An experienced visa service can walk my visa through and make sure my passport doesn't get stuck on someone's desk.

The nearest embassy or consulate is about a thousand miles from where I'm staying.  Taking care of the visa in person would be the most expensive option.

Plus, they'll tell you if you don't have the right paperwork, what else you may need, and whether you even qualify for the visa you're applying for- or if there's a better one for your situation.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, samsensam said:

everyone to their own but i've visited in excess of 50 countries a good many required visas, i've never needed anyone to help me obtain a visa - and i've never been refused a visa. Iranian visas from Ankara in the 1990s were the trickiest but good organisation, patience and courtesy won through. 

visas are not rocket science.

This is the first time I've used a visa service.  If I had time to have the initial application rejected and then resubmit I'd do it myself.  However I don't have time for that. 

In you list of qualities to obtain a visa you should have included ample time.

27 minutes ago, samsensam said:

everyone to their own but i've visited in excess of 50 countries a good many required visas, i've never needed anyone to help me obtain a visa - and i've never been refused a visa. Iranian visas from Ankara in the 1990s were the trickiest but good organisation, patience and courtesy won through. 

visas are not rocket science.

This is the first time I've used a visa service.  If I had time to have the initial application rejected and then resubmit I'd do it myself.  However I don't have time for that. 

In you list of qualities to obtain a visa you should have included ample time.

i spend alot of time in thailand and my visits to USA are usually two months long.  my schedule is so full that i barely have time to get an SETV.  figuring out what address to have them send back the passport is not easy.  i'm not in one place for more than 4-5 days and i don't know when they'll mail it back.  trying to get the retirement visa, and all that paperwork, is impossible.

i assume you know you can convert an SETV (or visa exempt) to a non imm O in bangkok.  then you can get a one year extension of stay (plus single or multi re-entry permits).  i'll be doing that in march 2017.  have alot more time to do this stuff while i'm in bangkok than i do when i'm in the USA.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

I've been notified by two consulates that they can no longer issue multiple entry visas. 

Bruce, you don't appear to have ever said here WHICH two consulates gave you that answer.

If they were any of the HONORARY consulates such as Portland, Houston, Miami, etc., that's nothing new, and fits with the policy change from last year that Ubon Joe posted on above.

But if they were any of the only FOUR regular/OFFICIAL Thai consulates -- Wash DC, NY, LA and Chicago -- then that would be an entirely different matter and not in keeping what supposedly are their current policies.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bruce, you don't appear to have ever said here WHICH two consulates gave you that answer.

If they were any of the HONORARY consulates such as Portland, Houston, Miami, etc., that's nothing new, and fits with the policy change from last year that Ubon Joe posted on above.

But if they were any of the only FOUR regular/OFFICIAL Thai consulates -- Wash DC, NY, LA and Chicago -- then that would be an entirely different matter and not in keeping what supposedly are their current policies.

These were both honorary consulates, Miami and New Orleans.  I also contacted Atlanta and have yet to receive a reply.  Unfortunately in Florida these are the only consulates within 1000 miles.

Surely the easy way is 

Arrive on exempt tourist stamp

Change to non 0 can be done in Bangkok, I think this gives you 3 mths, no criminal check required

Have 800,000 batt in account and at end of nonO convert to retirement extension, and also gat multiple reentry permit at the same time

I am sure the experts will say where I am wrong, if I am

Can anyone verify if an FBI check is definitely asked for when applying in New York City? I got one there in September and it was not on their list of requirements and it was never asked for.  Also where/ how do you actually do this? One person mentioned their local police. If I need one I just go to my local police station?  Why would they prepare an FBI report? Thanks.  For something that was supposed to be convenient and new the METV seems to be a pain in the butt. The first huge inconvenience was not letting honorary consulates do them. 

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Can anyone verify if an FBI check is definitely asked for when applying in New York City? I got one there in September and it was not on their list of requirements and it was never asked for.  Also where/ how do you actually do this? One person mentioned their local police. If I need one I just go to my local police station?  Why would they prepare an FBI report? Thanks.  For something that was supposed to be convenient and new the METV seems to be a pain in the butt. The first huge inconvenience was not letting honorary consulates do them. 

I have seen no reports of the embassy in DC or any of 3 official consulates requiring a FBI background check. As far as I know they still accept them issued by a state.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen no reports of the embassy in DC or any of 3 official consulates requiring a FBI background check. As far as I know they still accept them issued by a state.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just went on the NYC website. This site is completely different than it was in September.  Under the visa category section there is NO mention of the METV at all.  Am I missing something? If they are not issuing one I could just imagine how long it could take if the entire north east of the USA has to go through Wash D.C. to get one by mail.  I hope I am missing something in their "new" website.  I was not able to cut and paste the visa list but no METV was on it. 

Thank you as always. 

Ok. I did go on web site again  under Tourist visa section if you click on it will now see price of METV. BUT there is a completely different requirement section.  Very different!   No mention at all of bank statement, no mention of FBI report, they want 3 photos and 3 application forms ( before was 2) no mention of a plane ticket out at all!!  I find that this list is all different.  Is this what they want for METV now?  It's actually LESS information but with an extra picture and application form. 

Edited by alex8912
Added sentenced
  • Like 1

In the New York website they state they accept local police reports too which is what I have always used in the past. (state report not required).

in this website under Tourist Visa there is a 6 month option which must be METV although it should certainly be listed separately.

i moved from Connecticut to Florida last year. Can I still obtain visas from the New York Consulate where I have never had a problem ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A background check is not required for a METV. The only visa that requires it is NON-OA visa.

Ok. I added more to my previous post but maybe it timed out and did not show.  It seems you have to take the requirements on the first page under TR then click on tourism visa on the section below this for more requirements. Then this section says include copy of passport, certify letter of employer( certify does NOT mean notarized in English) . Confirmed  air ticket and accommodation in Thailand ( not ticket out which is strange) Recent bank statement $7000, visa fee. It seems just one picture and one application form IS ok if you have USA passport only. Last year there was a separate list for Tourist visa and one for METV even though on my passport under type of visa it says TR they are actually different because of requirements.  I hope New York will change this back to one CLEAR list of METV requirements but after dozens of people contact them with questions maybe they will.  

Edited by alex8912

Each year I obtain a new non imm o-a multi entry visa via the Thai Consulate in LA via the USPS with no problems. Each year I review their procedures and requirements on their website and follow them precisely. In five years, I have yet to experience any problems or delays.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 2

i moved from Connecticut to Florida last year. Can I still obtain visas from the New York Consulate where I have never had a problem ?

Technically No, since the Thai Embassy in Washington is now enforcing geographical requirements for the use of consulates and the Embassy. Florida is now handled by the Consular section of the Washington Embassy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app